An Old School Catholic Message Board

Donating money to the Orthodox Church?

Craftygrl06

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Apr 2 2006, 07:28 AM']I thought they only denied Papal Infallibility
[right][snapback]933116[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

nope :(

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Apr 2 2006, 07:42 AM']I'd rather give to them than to Planned Parenthood
[right][snapback]933120[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i would hope so! :)

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 2 2006, 07:28 AM']well im not positive what to call them. but they are heretics, because they deny the dogmas of original sin, the immaculate conception of Mary, and Papal infallibility.
[right][snapback]933115[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i grant papal infallibility... but they believe in the IC and original sin...

how do they not?

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Apr 2 2006, 07:42 AM']I'd rather give to them than to Planned Parenthood
[right][snapback]933120[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that's reassuring

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Craftygrl06' date='Mar 31 2006, 01:32 PM']And if I do quit, who's going to help me find a job :)
[right][snapback]929743[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I will!

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Apr 2 2006, 07:17 PM']i grant papal infallibility... but they believe in the IC and original sin...

how do they not?
[right][snapback]933554[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Immaculate Conception was solemnly defined as a dogma by Pope Pius IX in his constitution Ineffabilis Deus, published December 8, 1854 (the Feast of the Immaculate Conception).

this was exactly 800 years after the schism of the Orthodox.

[quote]Eastern Orthodoxy acknowledges that the introduction of ancestral sin into the human race affected the subsequent environment for mankind, but denies (or rather never accepted) Augustine of Hippo's notions of original sin and hereditary guilt.[6] The act of Adam is not the responsibility of all humanity, but the consequences of that act continue and plague the world.[/quote]

so they deny both of those Dogmas.

u don't mention that the validity of that Wikipedia entry is questioned... if you are going to purport a source... at least make it reputable.

secondly, the orthodox question the face of Dogmatically defining the IC, it is my understanding that the orthodox believe in the IC, but see no need of defining it...

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Apr 2 2006, 07:45 PM']u don't mention that the validity of that Wikipedia entry is questioned... if you are going to purport a source... at least make it reputable.

secondly, the orthodox question the face of Dogmatically defining the IC, it is my understanding that the orthodox believe in the IC, but see no need of defining it...
[right][snapback]933578[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that is not true.

Some do. some do not. many i have talked to DO NOT believe in the Immaculate conception. and it is true that the orthodox deny the Dogma of original Sin definded by the Catholic church. Regardless, they still reject Papal infallibility, and all the Ecumenical Councils after the schism that definded Dogma. Because of this they are heretics.

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Apr 2 2006, 09:58 PM']no, the Church teaches they are schismatics. (even before 1965)
[right][snapback]933718[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

they are schismatics. but they are also heretics because (one again i will say it)

Deny the Immaculate conception (dogma)

Original sin (dogma)

Papal Infallibility (dogma)

this makes them heretics

heresy is Deciding for oneself what one shall believe and practise instead of accepting the truth taught by Christ, and His moral teachings.

this falls under that category.

[url="http://www.christendom-awake.org/pages/anichols/orthodox.html"]Catholic View of Orthodoxy[/url]

tell me where heresy is mentioned... i do not deny the schism, i deny the application of the term heresy to the Orthodox. If you can show me that this is the position of the Church, i will recant my statement

The Orthodox are not heretics this is very important...many many orthodox would be offended to be called that. I live in a province in Canada where the Orthodox church and CAtholic church work very well together and altho there is the formal schism there is great respect. Now having said that the official teaching from my understanding is that the Orthodox do not REJECT any of these dogmas...however since the Church cannot call a true ecumenical council in their eyes they cannot affirm them either....it is in a way a sort of limbo (im not sure if this is 100% kosher or not) but it is my understnading of it. So to say they deny those dogmas i think is simply untrue and the Orthodox view of Original sin is slightly different then the latin view of it...same with the Eastern Rite Catholic churches view original sin and the immaculate conception differently then the latin church and as a result there is often misconception with definitions between the terms. We must also be careful (im not saying you are here at all i dont think u have) but just for teh future that we cannot define the Eastern Churches and Oriental Churches (both in communion with Peter and not) by our latin terms and understnading they have a valid Tradition and Apostolic succesion that is truly unique to their respective rites and to define them by our latin terms is often to greatly misunderstand them. But it is important as the Church has affirmed to understand the Orthodox as they are a unique situation for Catholics they are not like Protestants who are practicing heresy....they are in Schism. Now having said that due to the close and might i say close relations with the vatican and the Orthodox Churches and the Church encouraging us to work together with the Orthodox churches i see no reason in helping the orthodox church out with its mission...however as long as its not directly contrary to the Catholic mission there are very few missionaries (catholic that is) in Alaska it has been predominatly a very Orthodox region (several orthodox saints i believe come from alaska) it is much better for the Orthodox as well as they have VALID apostolic succesion and Sacraments. For example, if a Catholic is in a region where a catholic church is not (there are limited catholic churches for example in Greece) it is permissable and even encouraged if the local Orthodox church allows to receive communion and perhaps even confession in that region from an orthodox priest. So therefore i see no reason in giving money and perhaps even aiding (aiding if the Catholic church is not present) if it is i still have no problem with giving money as long as of course you are supporting your parish and its missions. My two cents.