An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecrated Virgins

HisChild

There has been discussions throughout the various threads on the role of Consecrated Virgins in the Church. . .who they are, what that means, WHERE they are, etc.

I found this website which is chock full of information, articles, doctrinal information, and links.

You might find it helpful in your discernment. God bless you!

[url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/"]Consecrated Virgins[/url]

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Some consecrated virgins do. I don't think there is any kind of required or standard habit. It would be like putting a habit on diocesan priests. Besides regular clerics, the cassock is also part of liturgical dress (basically it is appropriate for mass, with a surplice on top, while a regular clerical suit is not).

But i do remember that one of the brothers in the order, who sewed himself an extra habit, and other things as well, offered to make a veil for a consecrated virgin he knew, because he thought the one she had was kind of corny. She declined. That was actually the only time i have heard of a consecrated virgin having some kind of distinctive dress.

SHALOM

I've just known/heard about some hermits who have worn habits. And of course, there was that article in the Newsweek, I think it was, where that hermit chose to wear a common denim dress with kerchief. So, it doesn't have to be a religious habit. . .just something that may or may not set the consecrated person aside as being consecrated. I was just wondering. I don't think it's necessary. I'm just wondering if they did. But again, since they're not attached to any community, it's individual.

ThyHolyLove

I was poking around the consecrated virgins site, and it seems like they don't wear anything that would set them apart. They are supposed to be fully in the world.

from the site: " She may wish to wear a veil, subsequently, during Mass or on the anniversary of her Consecration.

However, to wear a veil in daily life seems to be part of a habit, and a consecrated virgin living in the world should not be wearing a habit, which is a sign of removal from the world in a Religious Institute."

Also, she is not allowed to write OCV or CV after her name....." No, she should not use these initials because she is not a member of a Religious Institute.

The Order of Virgins is not a Religious Institute in the Church. In this use of the term "order," it signifies a category of consecrated life, as the various categories are listed and explained in Vita Consecrata."

really interesting, I think we should get a consecrated virgin on PM!

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='ThyHolyLove' date='Apr 1 2006, 10:10 AM']I think we should get a consecrated  virgin on PM!
[right][snapback]931431[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

We have priests, brothers, sisters, lay, seculars, and other members of apostolic institutes of some sort.

But no consecrated virgins... :blink:

crazymaine catholic

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 1 2006, 12:37 AM']Does she wear any 'habit' or clothing that would set her apart?
[right][snapback]930599[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
she does wear a veil during mass, though i have a friend who does that too, so i guess a veil isn't that distinguishing sometimes.

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 1 2006, 06:37 AM']Does she wear any 'habit' or clothing that would set her apart?
[right][snapback]930599[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Habit is not allowed, because the "sign" of a consecrated virgin is "just" :D: the veil - (the sign of the member of an order is the habit).
There is no rule about the "shape" of the veil of a consecrated virgin... some do wear a kind of mantilla when they go to mass or when they say the liturgy of the hours. But some don´t. You are allowed to wear a veil but you don´t really have to if there are reasons against it. (But you normally tell the bishop before the consecration und he will give you advice what to do in your special situation... )

We just had a consecration ceremony in St. Louis yesterday.

[url="http://stltoday.com"]consecration rite[/url]

Go to this site, then do a search under consecrated virgin.

What's 'funny' is that right now. . .well, I can't give you details, because it's not my place to do so, but I have a friend who is a religious sister, 3rd order, like the way St Catherine was, living in the world, and belonging to the 3rd Order Dominicans, but living at home, then living with others doing the same thing. . .but not in a convent. Right now, there are just 2 of them, and while both were able to live together for a time, now they cannot.

In her diocese, however, they're allowing her to wear the 'habit' she's designed for herself, but are having issues with her veil. This diocese says it's the veil that makes a religious. . . :unsure: I thought it interesting.

I was told by her, that they told her there are a lot of 3rd orders who wear a more distinguished dress. . .like if you saw any of the Brothers and Sisters of Charity Domestic. We had some in our parish that wore brown pants or skirt, and brown or tan tunic top. But, unless they are consecrated, they are not able to wear a veil. So, she's been given some 'grief' about. . not the habit, but the veil. Granted, she's not a CV, but for this diocese, it's been the other way around. They consider someone a religious by their veil and not the habit. (which I find interesting because in today's world, there are so many religious who choose to wear neither.)

[quote name='stlmom' date='Apr 2 2006, 06:03 AM']We just had a consecration ceremony in St. Louis yesterday.

[url="http://stltoday.com"]consecration rite[/url]   

Go to this site, then do a search under consecrated virgin.
[right][snapback]933106[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is a fabulous article! Thank you for sharing it. I've sent that along to a friend of mine.