An Old School Catholic Message Board

Downloading music

prose

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Apr 12 2006, 05:53 PM']hmm....well it was until relatively recently that u couldnt give a copy to a friend wasn't it?
[right][snapback]945311[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, if by relatively recently you mean the last two hundred years or so... :P:

Copyright is a modern development, but it's still a lot older than any of us. ;) Until recently, no one could make [i]good[/i] copies to give to a friend, so it wasn't a big deal.

[quote name='philothea' date='Apr 12 2006, 10:13 PM']Well, if by relatively recently you mean the last two hundred years or so... :P:

Copyright is a modern development, but it's still a lot older than any of us. ;)  Until recently, no one could make [i]good[/i] copies to give to a friend, so it wasn't a big deal.
[right][snapback]945406[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I just read a fascinatingly nerdy book on copyright law written by an English professor about how authors like Harriet Beecher Stowe and James Fenimore Cooper fought for copyright protection of their books. The arguments of the day were much the same as the music arguments we're having now ... the rights of the public to information vs. the rights of the creators of the work for just compensation for their skills. Same debate, different folks.

Excelsior1027

[quote name='iheartjp2' date='Apr 8 2006, 06:02 PM']Therefore, copying CDs (of course, copying them for your own personal use is absolutely legal, since you're not duplicating something and then giving it away when that duplcation could have been sold) and then giving them away is sinful. 

HOWEVER, given the facts above, is it GRAVELY sinful, that, people, is the question.
[right][snapback]940262[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, but it's still a sin either way, right? Either way it's wrong.

I don't believe it is wrong to copy what you already own and have paid for for your own personal use.

And I am still not entirely convinced that burning CDs is a sin either. I pay for the right to burn material onto a CD when I buy blank CDs (in the form of an added tax for blank cds cassettes etc). So I am paying there.

I have consulted with priests about it, and two separate ones on two separate occasions told me it was not a sin (both conservative priests).

So I am not convinced.

[quote name='iheartjp2' date='Apr 8 2006, 03:02 PM']Think about it.  You go to your local entertainment store, lets say, Best Buy.  On average, at any entertainment store, a CD would probably cost anwhere from 14-20 bucks, even new releases, which usually cost closer to 20ish.  First of all, the store that carries the cd makes money.

Then the delivery company that trucked it there.
Then the company that made the case.
Then the company that made the disc.
The producers.
The technicians.
Basically all the people who get credited on the CD book and more.

ERGO

Making CDs and selling them CAN'T be crucial to their livelihood. 

[right][snapback]940262[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Keep in mind it is crucial to the livelihood of:
First of all, the store that carries the cd makes money.
Then the delivery company that trucked it there.
Then the company that made the case.
Then the company that made the disc.
The producers.
The technicians.
Basically all the people who get credited on the CD book and more.