An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another Question...

dimco926

I have a former friend who both her husband and herself were raised Catholic, received the sacrements and practiced their faith as a family. Well, as her daughter was growing up and just entering into the public schools, she didn't want her child going to public school. In our area, our public shools are all state and national blue ribbon schools, and there are no catholic schools that are considered "close", which is about a 20-30 minute ride.

So here is the discussion starter. She learns of a so call "great" Luthern school within a 10 minute drive. So she changes the family's faith to Luthern so that her daughter can attend school there. She bashes the Catholic faith whenever she can, tries to convert all she can and insults the public school system; hence the term "former" in the start of this topic.

My hubby and I feel that this was blasphemous act. Thoughts?
:idontknow:

It's unfortunate that they think they should change faiths just so their daughter can get a good education. :(

I don't know if "blasphemous" is the word I would use. Perhaps "disordered." They clearly think their daughter's academic upbringing is more important than her religious one. Still, it'd be one thing to go there and just be Lutheran (though that wouldn't be too cool, either), but to hear that they're actually [i]bashing[/i] the Catholic faith... :ohno:

I'll pray for them.

Edited by Paladin

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:54 AM']Its an excellent example of the poor catechesis that the parents received.

Its ignorance
[right][snapback]924823[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Indeed.

The attempts to bash Catholicism could also show a desire to distance themselves from the guilt they may feel. You know...like when people start doing drugs, they become much more strongly adamant about condemning those who are against drugs.

Cow of Shame

[quote name='dimco926' date='Mar 28 2006, 07:24 AM']So she changes the family's faith to Luthern so that her daughter can attend school there. 
[/quote]

I thought religious private schools would take anyone's money...they didn't care what religion you were.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Mar 28 2006, 10:43 AM']I thought religious private schools would take anyone's money...they didn't care what religion you were.
[right][snapback]924918[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They get a break on the tuition if they are members of the Luthern faith. She has to put in community hours at the church (everyone does) and then she gets even more money off. She is very, very frugal, boastful, but frugal.

The funny part was that her original arguement was that she thought it was hypocritical of her to have her daughter attend Luthern school while they believed in the Catholic faith, so that justified her becoming Luthern and then putting down the Catholic faith.

Did her husband convert as well?

Sometimes it is a matter of who you are depends on who you know. If she is surrounded by strong Lutherns, and every day is taught more and more about their faith and against Catholicism, and she never knew her faith well, then what could be expected?

This is like anything. People who don't know a lot about their own faith tend to be pursuaded easily by those who seem to know a great deal about another one. Even if it is false.

Maybe you could send her some literature like Home Sweet Rome by Scott Hahn, or some more info about Catholicism so maybe she will come back to the truth. Particularily refuting some of the things her Lutehrn friends may have taught her.

And don't forget to pray for her.

[quote name='prose' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:55 PM']Did her husband convert as well?

Sometimes it is a matter of who you are depends on who you know.  If she is surrounded by strong Lutherns, and every day is taught more and more about their faith and against Catholicism, and she never knew her faith well, then what could be expected?

This is like anything.  People who don't know a lot about their own faith tend to be pursuaded easily by those who seem to know a great deal about another one.  Even if it is false.

Maybe you could send her some literature like Home Sweet Rome by Scott Hahn, or some more info about Catholicism so maybe she will come back to the truth.  Particularily refuting some of the things her Lutehrn friends may have taught her.

And don't forget to pray for her.
[right][snapback]926021[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

She converted the whole family. Everytime I see a light on at her home, I say a silent prayer. And lately, especially because of Lent, I think of her often, and pray for her and her family. Thanks for the recommendation on the books and I will pass it on to her and to others interested in coming "home."