An Old School Catholic Message Board

French Revolution

toledo_jesus

Cow of Shame

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:12 AM']*gives Cow a statue of Jessica Alba*

[/quote]

Cool. I can put her next to my statue of Julie Benz & they can keep each other company at night.

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:14 AM']How bout a statue of Cam?
[right][snapback]925052[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The women do find Camster to be quite the hottie. Never ever ever use him as a wingman

I thought the Cow would prefer someone else

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:03 AM']All I have to say is that when a country celebrates, as its independence day, a giant swarming mob of angry citizens who overtook a lightly-armed building in order to release the founder of modern sadism, that's a very weird holiday.
[right][snapback]924827[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
don't forget, they put the heads of the mayor and some other guy on pikes and marched through the streets.

We have a party when the earth goes around the sun, again. We have a party for the day a few of the guys signed a piece of paper that told off our king (as opposed to the day that we confirment the constitution or made the Brits leave). We get off work for Labor day and I don't even know why, secretaries don't get Secretary's Day off, and the people who have the really low paying jobs (me) don't get Labor Day off.

People celebrate whatever they can. Also that lightly armed building had major symbolic significance for the French, like Gimo but really really different.

Also just to say, if the French Revolution didn't happen I couldn't listen to Les Mis and I'd be sad. I couldn't read A Tale of Two Cities either, which would also be decidedly lame.

Edited by track2004

The French Revolution was most certainly evil, and was vehemently opposed to the Catholic Church. The Church was persecuted, and the Revolutionary leaders attempted to wipe it out. Many Catholics were martyred by the guillotine.

I'd recommend reading Dr. Warren Carroll's [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093188845X/ref=sr_11_1/002-2323353-4496057?%5Fencoding=UTF8"][i]The Guillotine and the Cross[/i][/url] for a good history of the Revolution.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Mar 28 2006, 05:38 PM']I'd recommend reading Dr. Warren Carroll's [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093188845X/ref=sr_11_1/002-2323353-4496057?%5Fencoding=UTF8"][i]The Guillotine and the Cross[/i][/url] for a good history of the Revolution.
[right][snapback]925837[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Read that in my French Rev class. Excellent book.

If the French Rev never happened, I would've taken a different history class in Austria. French fries as we know it might never have happened. French toast, French dressing, it all might not exist, if it weren't for the French Revolution.

St. Louis de Montfort's Marian theology might not have survived.

Girls might not drag their husbands or boyfriends to Paris.

Paris would probably be the beer, hunting, fishing, car racing, hair-on-your-chest (on guys) and sports capital of the world, instead of the fashion and fluff capital of the world.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='scardella' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:12 PM']Paris would probably be the beer, hunting, fishing, car racing, hair-on-your-chest (on guys) and sports capital of the world, instead of the fashion and fluff capital of the world.
[right][snapback]926252[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Damnable revolution!

Cow of Shame

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:18 PM']The women do find Camster to be quite the hottie.  Never ever ever use him as a wingman

I thought the Cow would prefer someone else
[right][snapback]925058[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I dunno...how good does he look in 4" heels, fishnet stockings & a leather miniskirt?

[quote name='Peccator' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:48 AM']I beg to differ, under Napoleon the French were nearly undefeatable...and as far as history goes: didn't they support the American Revolution and the give the US the Statue of Liberty?...why then the malice?
[right][snapback]924925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Napoleon wasn't French :)

toledo_jesus

[quote name='notardillacid' date='Mar 29 2006, 12:11 PM']Napoleon wasn't French :)
[right][snapback]926904[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Napoleon was France, however. :french:

[quote name='notardillacid' date='Mar 29 2006, 06:11 PM']Napoleon wasn't French :)
[right][snapback]926904[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]He was Corsican (...however the french made their colonies into provinces of France rather than protectorates or colonial territies...so one can actually argue that he was french...)

Though the french were near unstoppable under him... :sweat:

photosynthesis

[quote name='scardella' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:12 PM']St. Louis de Montfort's Marian theology might not have survived.
[right][snapback]926252[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that would be really sad :(

and now y'all have the soundtrack to Les Miserables stuck in my head...

"There is a castle on a cloud." Now you've got it stuck in my head! lol :P:

I believe that there were needed reforms in the French govn't at the time but the heavy persecution of the Catholic Church and the Reign of Terror was taking it thousands of miles too far. It's one thing to be able to elect leaders and get out of poverty , it's another thing to behead anyone who disagrees with you. I think the influence is still there because now people aren't allowed to wear religious symbols in public places and it is very secular over there.

[quote]We have a party when the earth goes around the sun, again. We have a party for the day a few of the guys signed a piece of paper that told off our king [/quote]

I believe you are confused. The last time I chesked the sun went around the earth. Oh, and by the way, those guys had no right to tell their gracious king off.

[quote]It's one thing to be able to elect leaders and get out of poverty[/quote]

Monarchy beats Mob Rule (aka democracy) any day.