An Old School Catholic Message Board

French Revolution

toledo_jesus

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:02 AM']The French revolution was evil, and nothing good came of it.
SOOO true!

[right][snapback]924619[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yah, because God could *so* never bring good out of evil. That would be, like, a miracle... :rolleyes:

[quote]The French revolution was evil, and nothing good came of it.
[/quote]Felix culpa...Oh wait, sin happened and we get a savior...sin and grace .....what? :blink:

Cow of Shame

[quote name='jezic' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:28 PM']my spiritual director has told me that it is not good to dwell on the things of the past and the what ifs. Live for the day.
[right][snapback]924406[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think you're confusing entertaining speculations with unhealthy fascinations.

toledo_jesus

I'd like to think that without the French Revolution, we would not have had the Napoleonic Conflicts...and so not had the World Wars.

If we had not had those World Wars, America might not be engaged in the world as it is now. We might still follow our policy of isolationism.

Thy Geekdom Come

All I have to say is that when a country celebrates, as its independence day, a giant swarming mob of angry citizens who overtook a lightly-armed building in order to release the founder of modern sadism, that's a very weird holiday.

In a few respects the French Revolution reminds me of the Reformation.

In both cases it was a revolt initially spawned by corruption...in the reformation is was the sale of Indulgences in the Church, in the French Revolution it was the debauchery of both goverment and clergy...as terrible as both were, the Church learned valuable lesson from both and both were instrumental in reform.

We mess up, and God helps to clean up :unsure:

Cow of Shame

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:03 AM']All I have to say is that when a country celebrates, as its independence day, a giant swarming mob of angry citizens who overtook a lightly-armed building in order to release the founder of modern sadism, that's a very weird holiday.
[right][snapback]924827[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sweet. I bet they have kick-arse Independence day parties.

Of course, does this really surprise you? It IS the French. Reread that...a GIANT MOB overtook a LIGHTLY ARMED force. Can you imagine it happening any other way?

It reminds me of that auction I saw on Ebay...it was for a French machine gun. The description said, "Never used. Dropped once."

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Mar 28 2006, 09:30 AM']Sweet.  I bet they have kick-arse Independence day parties.

Of course, does this really surprise you?  It IS the French.  Reread that...a GIANT MOB overtook a LIGHTLY ARMED force.  Can you imagine it happening any other way?

It reminds me of that auction I saw on Ebay...it was for a French machine gun.  The description said, "Never used.  Dropped once."
[right][snapback]924902[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

CNN pointed out last week that if you Google "French military victories" it will suggest

[i][b]"Do you mean French military defeats?"[/b][/i]

Edited by jaime

I beg to differ, under Napoleon the French were nearly undefeatable...and as far as history goes: didn't they support the American Revolution and the give the US the Statue of Liberty?...why then the malice?

Edited by Peccator

Cow of Shame

[quote name='Peccator' date='Mar 28 2006, 10:48 AM'] didn't they support the American Revolution and the give the US the Statue of Liberty?...why then the malice?
[right][snapback]924925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If you give me a statue of a hottie, I'll promise not to mock you.

Much.

Edited by Cow of Shame