An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant "fathers"

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:24 PM']yes i do... it is to bring those outside of the Catholic Fullness into it...
[right][snapback]923907[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And you are going to accomplish that by having an ignorance of their faith?

Brother Adam

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:30 PM']i know what they believe... it isn't Catholic.
[right][snapback]923921[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You do huh? Okay then. We study the writings of those who disagree with us so we really actually do know what they believe, because others do believe in Protestant doctrines. If you have no command of their faith, they will run circles around you. By studying what they believe, what their arguments are, and knowing what the Catholic faith teaches in response to it, you will be educated enough to be respected. I'm not talking about internet apologetics, I'm speaking on a more professional level. If you want to convince the president of Planned Parenthood abortion is wrong, you're not going to accomplish it by telling him you are Catholic and you think it is wrong. You have to know his position better than he does.

that's the key. If you walk into a room full of Calvinists and know what Calvin teaches, you will gain more respect than if you don't know anything about Calvin. They will be much more likely to feel the need to educate you rather than to hear you out.

Edited by Brother Adam

Cow of Shame

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:43 PM']Spurgeon. Charles Spurgeon.
[right][snapback]923774[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I heard his eggs are a delicacy.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Thumper' date='Mar 27 2006, 04:06 PM']Luther's "On Christian Liberty," a.k.a. "The Freedom of a Christian."
[right][snapback]924048[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

thanks. i haven't read that.

sweetpea316

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:42 AM']Didnt Luther write his own "catechism?"
[right][snapback]923772[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:43 AM']Yeah. I have his large and small catechisms. I remember reading them and ripping right through how much of it was unbiblical when I was a Lutheran. It sent my pastor into a panic .Of course then I became a Baptist. lol.
[right][snapback]923775[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Heh... yeah... I went back and read through mine the other day and was like "WOW".

infinitelord1

I heard that some of the earliest fathers of the protestant reformation such as martin luther had claimed that they had once been possessed by demons.

I took an American Church History class a few semesters ago. Our main text was a compilation edited by our professor, a Pentecostal. The book talked about the influences of the founders of the Pentecostal/Holiness movement, a very prominent denomination in the U.S. I'll see if I can't find the book and post the names of the founders.

Cow of Shame

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:55 PM']I heard that some of the earliest fathers of the protestant reformation such as martin luther had claimed that they had once been possessed by demons.
[right][snapback]924597[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sounds like urban myths

I can only really speak form myself...

I honesty do not own any more Protestant books...I've never been able to argue a Protestant into conversion(or even into merely considering my point), so I see no use in it.

I am able to defend my Church apologetics wise though...

Brother Adam

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:59 PM']Sounds like urban myths
[right][snapback]924730[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Luther did write about throwing his own feces at satan.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Peccator' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:05 AM']I can only really speak form myself...

I honesty do not own any more Protestant books...I've never been able to argue a Protestant into conversion(or even into merely considering my point), so I see no use in it.

I am able to defend my Church apologetics wise though...
[right][snapback]924736[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I see a use in it. :waves:

Else, I would not be receiving the sacraments if it wasn't for the learned Catholic men and women who helped me along.

Cow of Shame

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 28 2006, 07:36 AM']Luther did write about throwing his own feces at satan.
[right][snapback]924784[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think if you see the Lord of Lies while you're on the crapper, you're straining too hard.