An Old School Catholic Message Board

Imprimateurs

jezic

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='jezic' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:43 PM']I was just wondering what all of you think about reading books with Imprimateurs (that might be the wrong spelling, but a few years of French will do that to you :) )

I am not certain how i feel about it at the moment. I like them to be there, but some have said that there are liberal bishops and others that almost hand them out so they don't mean as much as they used to.

So how about it?
[right][snapback]923701[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I generally look for one, but if there isn't it isn't automatically ruled out.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I've seen good books without the Imprimatur. I have seen bad books with the Imprimatur. It's a nice touch though.

cmotherofpirl

Its only as good as the person who authorizes it. Some are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Sure, I read books without the Imprimatur. I generally go by the reputation of the author in deciding what I read and do not read.

most of my religious books dont have an imprimatur. I get practacally all of them from Angelus Press (the SSPX printing house). The Angelus Press Missal, though, has something that says it was based on The Ideal Missal which had a nihil obstat and an imprimatur. The Angelus Press Catechism of Trent, though, has two nihil obstati, an imprimi potest, and an imprimatur.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Mar 27 2006, 07:19 PM']most of my religious books dont have an imprimatur. I get practacally all of them from Angelus Press (the SSPX printing house). The Angelus Press Missal, though, has something that says it was based on The Ideal Missal which had a nihil obstat and an imprimatur. The Angelus Press Catechism of Trent, though, has two nihil obstati, an imprimi potest, and an imprimatur.
[right][snapback]924226[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Fun fact: Fr. Carl Pulvermacher SSPX, founder of Angelus Press is the brother of Fr. Lucian Pulvermacher, the alledged [Anti]Pope Pius XIII. He has two other brothers who are in communion with Rome.

I honestly don't even check for that because I've read books passed by Bishops which borderline on (and in my opinion crosses the line..) heresy.

Anyhow, I have to mention that just about every religious book I own incidently has been though an imprimatur. :):

Edited by Peccator

[quote name='Nathan' date='Mar 27 2006, 06:42 PM']Sure, I read books without the Imprimatur. I generally go by the reputation of the author in deciding what I read and do not read.
[right][snapback]924195[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ditto.....

It would be wise, unless you are training to be a theologian, to stay away from books that can sway you away from the faith, and then only with through the guidance of some one smarter then you should you read them.

At the same time, one must take a charitable stance to any contray position despite how absurd it will be, because the truth never shrinks in fear from other truth. Hear people out, and with love consider what they said that in so far as it is ture, gently point out the fallacy and falsity.

• 2 weeks later...