An Old School Catholic Message Board

Imprimateurs

jezic

I was just wondering what all of you think about reading books with Imprimateurs (that might be the wrong spelling, but a few years of French will do that to you :) )

I am not certain how i feel about it at the moment. I like them to be there, but some have said that there are liberal bishops and others that almost hand them out so they don't mean as much as they used to.

So how about it?

I'll sometimes read Catholic books without an Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat, but I'll be cautious about their content.

And I don't think you should worry about more liberal bishops, Jezic. If it has an Imprimatur, it probably has a Nihil Obstat, too. A qualified censor scrutinizes the work to make sure it's in line with the Faith before putting the Nihil Obstat on it, so it's more than likely A-OK.

Brother Adam

Sure. I read a lot of fiction and poetry that doesn't. But as far as 'religious books', I read Luther, Calvin, and other anti-Catholics as well as Catholic authors to be up on the 'latest trends' and such. One of the latest was "Is the Reformation Over". One needst only be discerning.

Neal4Christ

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:47 AM']One needst only be discerning.
[right][snapback]923709[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amen :)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Neal4Christ' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:53 AM']Amen :)
[right][snapback]923720[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The above comment doesn't contain an impremiteur... so I'm not reading it. :seehearspeak:

Brother Adam

[quote name='Neal4Christ' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:53 AM']Amen :)
[right][snapback]923720[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Long time no see around these parts pilgrim. :cool:

very true. I should change the question slightly.

There are certain things that it bugs me a little bit for (when there isn't one)

Like i have a book of the collected works of Saint John of the Cross and it doesn't have an Imprimateur though most of the other ones do and i know that the Church agrees with what he says.

What about important things like that?

Neal4Christ

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:56 AM']Long time no see around these parts pilgrim. :cool:
[right][snapback]923722[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, my travels have led me back around here. :D:

Desert Walker

Unfortunately you can't trust that label anymore.

I was given a book by a Rdemptorist priest titled [i]Can Religious Life Be Prophetic?[/i] and it had a nihil obstat.

The basic thesis of this book, after accomplishing the task of digging through the author's misconceptions (or blatant misrepresentations) of Vatican II, is that people in religious life are called to be prophetic voices of change within the Church. Some changes he listed as being the best content of the prophetic challenges of those in religious life are:

- Women should be ordained
- Contraception is perfectly moral
- True Magisterial (or Apostolic Teaching) Authority resides in the laity who should dictate, by vote, the doctrines of the Body of Christ

I found the book to be intentionally deceptive in its presentation of content. And the deception is so ordered that the sincere, and gullible, reader will believe that the author is an expert on his subject and has presented the whole truth in his research. This is one of the tactics of clever, but lazy, college students who desire a good grade without doing intensive work.

The book was written by a Franciscan priest who preferred the photo of himself on the back cover to be one in which he was not wearing clerical garb. He distorts scripture, tradition and the Council in his use of them to back up his theses.

And this piece of Satanic deception was given a nihil obstat.

No I would not trust those labels anymore. At least not without first verifying the personal orthodoxy of the ecclesiastical authority who gives them.

In "The Book of the Man God" there claims to be a "papal" imprimatur. What is failed to mention is that the publisher never actually [i]had[/i] and imprimatur to print the book, so you will always find it glued to the inside cover. :rolleyes: Lots of controversy about that book!

Besides that, I will read books with no imprimatur, and I just know that what is in it may or may not be what the Church teaches. If I question it, I simply talk to a priest about it.

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:16 PM']Unfortunately you can't trust that label anymore.

I was given a book by a Rdemptorist priest titled [i]Can Religious Life Be Prophetic?[/i] and it had a nihil obstat.

The basic thesis of this book, after accomplishing the task of digging through the author's misconceptions (or blatant misrepresentations) of Vatican II, is that people in religious life are called to be prophetic voices of change within the Church.  Some changes he listed as being the best content of the prophetic challenges of those in religious life are:

- Women should be ordained
- Contraception is perfectly moral
- True Magisterial (or Apostolic Teaching) Authority resides in the laity who should dictate, by vote, the doctrines of the Body of Christ

I found the book to be intentionally deceptive in its presentation of content.  And the deception is so ordered that the sincere, and gullible, reader will believe that the author is an expert on his subject and has presented the whole truth in his research.  This is one of the tactics of clever, but lazy, college students who desire a good grade without doing intensive work.

The book was written by a Franciscan priest who preferred the photo of himself on the back cover to be one in which he was not wearing clerical garb.  He distorts scripture, tradition and the Council in his use of them to back up his theses.

And this piece of Satanic deception was given a nihil obstat.

No I would not trust those labels anymore.  At least not without first verifying the personal orthodoxy of the ecclesiastical authority who gives them.
[right][snapback]923749[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's disturbing to hear, Desert Walker. :unsure:

Who was the censor that gave the Nihil Obstat? It would be interesting to see what else that one gave an Obstat to.

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:39 PM']The imprimatur is only as good as the one who gives it.
[right][snapback]923854[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that doesn't make me very comfortable. :annoyed:

I wish people could just not mess with things.

I guess i will have to continue to be careful like always.