An Old School Catholic Message Board

Immigration issue draws thousands into streets

AngelofJesus

[b]2241[/b]
The more prosperous nations are obliged, to the extent they are able, to welcome the foreigner in search of the security and the means of livelihood which he cannot find in his country of origin. Public authorities should see to it that the natural right is respected that places a guest under the protection of those who receive him.

Political authorities, for the sake of the common good for which they are responsible, [b]may make the exercise of the right to immigrate subject to various juridical conditions, especially with regard to the immigrants' duties toward their country of adoption[/b]. [u][i][b]Immigrants are obliged to respect with gratitude the material and spiritual heritage of the country that receives them, to obey its laws and to assist in carrying civic burdens[/b][/i][/u].

I have little respect for anyone who sees this as a greater need than ending abortion.

Why haven't people taken to the streets like this in regards to abortion?!

According the Catechism, the gov has the right to make laws with regard to immigration.

Now, the penalty for breaking those laws is up for debate... the Church is not infallible in regards to discipline, and it being a felony falls on those grounds. So far, I haven't seen anything logical or faithwise to reject making it a felony.

These humanitarian groups can provide food, shelter, and water for these illegals while they wait for the immigration department to show up and send them back.

AngelofJesus

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:12 AM']This is actually pathetic...

WHERE WAS THIS OUTRAGE WHEN ABORTION WAS LEGALIZED???!!!
[right][snapback]923647[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Talking about helping other people in need is pathetic? Regardless of their status. Isn't it Jesus that said " Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers you have done unto me".

Yes, Abortion is one of the greatest crime legalized by this country, but abortion has it's own thread. (Which also brings to a point how erroneous some laws can get).

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:11 PM']sojo,
You lack logic. I'm not going to bother with illogical comments you make.
[right][snapback]923644[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:12 PM']This is actually pathetic...

[/quote]

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:27 PM']I have little respect for anyone who sees this as a greater need than ending abortion.

Why haven't people taken to the streets like this in regards to abortion?!

According the Catechism, the gov has the right to make laws with regard to immigration.

Now, the penalty for breaking those laws is up for debate... the Church is not infallible in regards to discipline, and it being a felony falls on those grounds. So far, I haven't seen anything logical or faithwise to reject making it a felony.

These humanitarian groups can provide food, shelter, and water for these illegals while they wait for the immigration department to show up and send them back.
[right][snapback]923668[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What is this, "Well, I can't win with the immigration arguments I've put forth, so I'm going to say opposing viewpoints are illogical, and then change the subject to how abortion is worse."?

Nice.

<_<

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:12 AM']This is actually pathetic...

[/quote]

Talk about a red herring fallacy

This is irrelevant to the issue at hand. The issue at hand is whether or not it should be a felony (or illegal at all) to give aid or comfort to an undocumented alien.

Why you feel the need to stray off the subject so drastically is beyond me.

[quote name='AngelofJesus' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:36 PM']Talking about helping other people in need is pathetic?  Regardless of their status.  Isn't it Jesus that said " Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers you have done unto me".

Yes, Abortion is one of the greatest crime legalized by this country, but abortion has it's own thread.  (Which also brings to a point how erroneous some laws can get).
[right][snapback]923689[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What is pathetic about it is that there is not the defence of innocent life as there should be.

If the Bishop said take the street over this, then why didn't he say the same thing about abortion? If he did say take the street over this and not on abortion, then I have to question his judgment and the answer is poor.

This is about helping other people break the law... This is not about helping other people live.

There are so many illegal aliens that do not need to come to America for safety. There are so many illegal aliens that would be just fine in Mexico. So if they put themselves in danger, then it's their own fault.

I say feed, and shelter them while they wait for the bus to be shipped back. - This is TOTALLY in line with Catholic teaching. If you think otherwise, then you do not know it very well.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:44 PM']Talk about a red herring fallacy

This is irrelevant to the issue at hand.  The issue at hand is whether or not it should be a felony (or illegal at all) to give aid or comfort to an undocumented alien.

Why you feel the need to stray off the subject so drastically is beyond me.
[right][snapback]923778[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's not a red herring... it goes to show that some people's priorities are messed up. It shows that they feel this is more important than innocent lives.

Logic and reasoning shows the relevance.

EDIT: I can't see taking the uproar so seriously when innocent lives of the unborn are less important than this. It also makes me stop and really question if I should object to the law.

Like I wrote... I've seen nothing faithwise that says to reject it. So far, I support it. I'll try to read the whole thing tonight.

Edited by ironmonk

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:47 PM']It's not a red herring... it goes to show that some people's priorities are messed up. It shows that they feel this is more important than innocent lives.

[right][snapback]923781[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So you're saying that as long as abortion still exists in the U.S., none of us should have any focus other than that? We should ignore all other injustices until abortion has been eradicated?

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 12:47 PM']It's not a red herring... it goes to show that some people's priorities are messed up. It shows that they feel this is more important than innocent lives.

EDIT: I can't see taking the uproar so seriously when innocent lives of the unborn are less important than this. It also makes me stop and really question if I should object to the law.

Like I wrote... I've seen nothing faithwise that says to reject it. So far, I support it. I'll try to read the whole thing tonight.
[right][snapback]923781[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is a red herring. You are trying to avoid the fact that you were wrong about the bill. Its slight of hand and its obvious.

But to come around back on subject.

You are saying that Cardinal Mahoney and the bishops have their facts wrong on social justice issues? Is that your position?

And leave abortion out of it.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:12 AM']This is actually pathetic...

[/quote]

You know what also is an outrage?

Nazis.

And none of them said boo about nazis!

They must secretly love them

franciscanheart

i have a suspicion this will be moved to the debate table. btw -- lots of people were in the streets here too... just not as many.

Just to let you know monk, I've spoken with a good portion of the folks who protested. Many of them said they were a part of the 250,000 march for life in Washington DC. The rest said if there was a pro-life rally scheduled, they would have split their time.

Also every one of them affirmed that even though no one talked about it, they were all 100% against nazis

Whew

I've got another 100,000 phone calls to make but I'm optimistic that I'll get the same results.

So back to the topic at hand