An Old School Catholic Message Board

Immigration issue draws thousands into streets

AngelofJesus

So its your contention (and wrong btw) that the Church should not give aid to someone if they don't have the proper paperwork

no food
no aid
no shelter

How about

No mass
No confession
no last rites

How far do you take it?

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:46 AM']So its your contention (and wrong btw) that the Church should not give aid to someone if they don't have the proper paperwork

no food
no aid
no shelter

How about

No mass
No confession
no last rites
How far do you take it?
[right][snapback]923491[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm not talking about the Church.

I'm talking about all the businesses who knowingly hire illegal aliens.

It appears that you listened to only the [mod]don't call names. If you mean Democrats, say Democrats[/mod] on this one.

If you would have looked you would see that religious organizations are exempt... The [b]media lies[/b].
[quote][url="http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c109:1:./temp/~c109NUlxNf:e87149:"]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c109...9NUlxNf:e87149:[/url]

`(3) LIMITATION- It is not a violation of subparagraph (D), (E), or (F) of paragraph (1)--

`(A) for a religious denomination having a bona fide nonprofit, religious organization in the United States, or the agents or officers of such denomination or organization, to encourage, invite, call, allow, or enable an alien who is present in the United States to perform the vocation of a minister or missionary for the denomination or organization in the United States as a volunteer who is not compensated as an employee, notwithstanding the provision of room, board, travel, medical assistance, and other basic living expenses, provided the minister or missionary has been a member of the denomination for at least 1 year; or

`(B) for an individual to provide an alien with emergency humanitarian assistance, including emergency medical care and food, or to transport the alien to a location where such assistance can be rendered, provided that such assistance is rendered without compensation or the expectation of compensation.[/quote]

Edited by homeschoolmom

Full details can be found here:
[url="http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.+2454:"]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.+2454:[/url]

From what I've read so far, it looks like it is targeting employers who knowingly employ illegals.

I'll try to read more of it tonight.

I really hate how the media lies.

Except the bill that passed the house is HR 4437

You're quoting a similar senate bill. But not the correct one.

Perhaps your fascist xenophobic resources sent you to the wrong bill

Here is the section in question on HR4437

[quote]      SEC. 274. (a) Criminal Offenses and Penalties-

`(1) PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES- Whoever--

`(A) assists, encourages, directs, or induces a person to come to or enter the United States, or to attempt to come to or enter the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such person is an alien who lacks lawful authority to come to or enter the United States;

`(B) assists, encourages, directs, or induces a person to come to or enter the United States at a place other than a designated port of entry or place other than as designated by the Secretary of Homeland Security, regardless of whether such person has official permission or lawful authority to be in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such person is an alien;

`© assists, encourages, directs, or induces a person to reside in or remain in the United States, or to attempt to reside in or remain in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such person is an alien who lacks lawful authority to reside in or remain in the United States;

`(D) transports or moves a person in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such person is an alien who lacks lawful authority to enter or be in the United States, where the transportation or movement will aid or further in any manner the person's illegal entry into or illegal presence in the United States;

`(E) harbors, conceals, or shields from detection a person in the United States knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such person is an alien who lacks lawful authority to be in the United States;

`(F) transports, moves, harbors, conceals, or shields from detection a person outside of the United States knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such person is an alien in unlawful transit from one country to another or on the high seas, under circumstances in which the person is in fact seeking to enter the United States without official permission or lawful authority; or

`(G) conspires or attempts to commit any of the preceding acts,

shall be punished as provided in paragraph (2), regardless of any official action which may later be taken with respect to such alien.[/quote]

This expands the definition of "smuggling immigrants" and allows for charitable groups to be charged with felony by giving aid.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 09:41 AM']From what I've read so far, it looks like it is targeting employers who knowingly employ illegals.

I'll try to read more of it tonight.

I really hate how the media lies.
[right][snapback]923513[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/22/opinion/22mahony.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin"]Apparently Cardinal Mahony lies too[/url]

[quote]I'VE received a lot of criticism for stating last month that I would instruct the priests of my archdiocese to disobey a proposed law that would subject them, as well as other church and humanitarian workers, to criminal penalties. The proposed Border Protection, Antiterrorism and Illegal Immigration Control bill, which was approved by the House of Representatives in December and is expected to be taken up by the Senate next week, would among other things subject to five years in prison anyone who "assists" an undocumented immigrant "to remain in the United States."[/quote]

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 27 2006, 09:46 AM']Except the bill that passed the house is HR 4437

You're quoting a similar senate bill.  But not the correct one.

Perhaps your fascist xenophobic resources sent you to the wrong bill

Here is the section in question on HR4437
This expands the definition of "smuggling immigrants" and allows for charitable groups to be charged with felony by giving aid.
[right][snapback]923516[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are four versions of it.
Here is the latest: [url="http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:4:./temp/~c109i74x7H::"]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109...p/~c109i74x7H::[/url]

nm... found it, reading now.

Sojo...
There is a difference between lying and being wrong.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 09:59 AM']Sojo...
There is a difference between lying and being wrong.
[right][snapback]923521[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So you don't think the good cardinal would have checked his facts before writing an op-ed in the Times?

And I wonder why no one besides you would have rebutted him in the three weeks since this piece?

Apparently you and you alone have a corner on the truth of the situation ... good thing we've got you to keep an eye on things for us.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 26 2006, 07:15 PM']

The key term here is "illegal"... and they should be removed.

As our faith teaches us that laws should be followed.

[right][snapback]922987[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 07:32 AM']There is nothing unjust about making it a felony to give aid to illegal aliens.

The border needs to be locked down tight, and people should get some type of punishment for knowingly aiding illegal aliens.
[right][snapback]923487[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:05 AM']I'm not talking about the Church.

[right][snapback]923497[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So now that we've clarified the actual bill being discussed and protested, do you still hold the stance that Cardinal Mahoney is wrong?

After reading what I have thus far, I do not think that it would subject humanitarian workers to penalties.

Humanitarian workers and Priests shouldn't be trafficing illegals, if they are giving humanitarian aid, such as food, the Mass, medical care... no one giving humanitarian aid should be providing a job or encouraging illegal aliens to stay in the US.

The US Gov. has a right to keep illegal aliens out. I support keeping illegal aliens out. I support toughening the laws. I support enforcing the laws.

Keeping illegal aliens out of the US is not unjust. Punishing people for breaking the law is not unjust. This does not go against Catholic teaching. If this becomes law, it will be sinning to break the law... all wrong doing is sin... the Church teaches that breaking the law is a sin. People who are helping illegals now, are breaking the law... therefore sinning.

I also support allowing more immigrants into the USA legally provided that the illegal aliens get shut out.

What would happen if people would not help illegals... they would stop coming and go home.

This isn't just about the US, this is about protecting mexicans who come here illegally. Too many farmers take advantage of illegals, many people abuse illegals, they are raped, beaten, etc... and they have no one to go to because they fear that they'll be deported if they report the crimes to the police. Illegals are used like cattle... they are dehumanized. Do the politicians care... no because the illegals can't vote... Who has actually shown compassion to them... the Bush boys.

Why not try to fix mexico's problems instead of running from them? (now, I don't know all their problems nor do I have time to research them... is not the president of mexico Catholic? It would seem that the Bishops could get a lot done to help them.)

I do think that specifically stating that religious organizations and humanitarian non-profit orgs. should be exempt to a certain degree. I do believe that priests and humanitarian workers should help illegals find their way home back to mexico or wherever they came from.

[quote]After reading what I have thus far, I do not think that it would subject humanitarian workers to penalties.[/quote]

Well then you are reading it wrong

[quote]HR 4437 criminalizes organizations and individuals assisting undocumented immigrants

HR 4437 greatly expands the definition of “alien smuggling” to include assisting a person to remain or attempt to remain in the United States when the “offender” knows the person is in the United States unlawfully – thereby treating social services organizations, refugee agencies, churches, legal services and others the same as smuggling organizations and imposing criminal penalties for providing such assistance. Even family members and charitable workers could face federal prison time for assisting undocumented immigrants. [/quote]

There are no qualifications for allowing aid to illegals. None

Edited by jaime

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:43 AM']After reading what I have thus far, I do not think that it would subject humanitarian workers to penalties.
[right][snapback]923565[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Apparently you're in the minority on this one.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:43 AM']The US Gov. has a right to keep illegal aliens out. I support keeping illegal aliens out. I support toughening the laws. I support enforcing the laws.

Keeping illegal aliens out of the US is not unjust. Punishing people for breaking the law is not unjust. This does not go against Catholic teaching. If this becomes law, it will be sinning to break the law... all wrong doing is sin... the Church teaches that breaking the law is a sin. People who are helping illegals now, are breaking the law... therefore sinning.
[/quote]
The U.S. government of course has a right to draft and enforce immigration laws. However, enforcement alone is not going to make illegal immigration go away. No enforcement scenario is 100 percent effective.

People who are helping undocumented immigrants now are not breaking the law as it currently stands. They're providing aid to people in need, without regard to immigration status.

AND sometimes there are entirely valid reasons for someone to be in the country without the proper papers -- it takes time to process things, and in the meantime an immigrant may not be properly documented. That happens all the time. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants WANT to be documented -- at least the ones I've talked to. They're just in varying stages of getting to that point.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:43 AM']I also support allowing more immigrants into the USA legally provided that the illegal aliens get shut out.
[/quote]
You do realize, don't you, that undocumented immigrants aren't just the day laborers you see at gas stations? A significant number of undocumented immigrants come here seeking asylum, or to leave a bad situation at home? U.S. immigration law allows, among other reasons, for people to immigrate who have been victims of violent crime, or who are victims of domestic violence married to a U.S. citizen, or who are victims of persecution or torture, or who have been targeted by gangs and have refused to join. Last year in Indianapolis alone, we had people from 69 different countries seeking residency on those types of grounds -- many of them were illegal. Should they be painted with the same brush day laborers are?

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:43 AM']What would happen if people would not help illegals... they would stop coming and go home.
[/quote]
So are really advocating, then, that even humanitarian aid shouldn't be provided to undocumented immigrants?

And, you do realize, don't you, that there are upwards of 11 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S.? Who's going to pay to get them home? Do we just kick them out of wherever they're living with their knapsacks on their backs and a walking stick? Wouldn't that be a hardship on their landlords and/or mortgage companies (because you can buy a house even without a Social Security number)? What about the ones who have been living here for 20 years? Who have children who've been born and raised here?

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:43 AM']This isn't just about the US, this is about protecting mexicans who come here illegally. Too many farmers take advantage of illegals, many people abuse illegals, they are raped, beaten, etc... and they have no one to go to because they fear that they'll be deported if they report the crimes to the police. Illegals are used like cattle... they are dehumanized. Do the politicians care... no because the illegals can't vote... Who has actually shown compassion to them... the Bush boys.
[/quote]
I agree that people take advantage of undocumented immigrants -- heck, people take advantage of LEGAL immigrants (I have a friend who's from Singapore who worked in a PhD "sweatshop" at a local university for several years ... no one there reports the mistreatment because they're afraid fo losing their visas). But rather than further punishing immigrants for the ridiculous treatment they get at the hands of American citizens, I'd advocate a) revamping the system to allow for a more economically realistic immigration policy and b) finding ways to impose sanctions on Americans who callously take advantage of immigrants.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:43 AM']Why not try to fix mexico's problems instead of running from them? (now, I don't know all their problems nor do I have time to research them... is not the president of mexico Catholic? It would seem that the Bishops could get a lot done to help them.)
[/quote]
In case you hadn't noticed, we're a little busy trying to "help" Iraq's problem's right now.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:43 AM']I do think that specifically stating that religious organizations and humanitarian non-profit orgs. should be exempt to a certain degree. I do believe that priests and humanitarian workers should help illegals find their way home back to mexico or wherever they came from.
[/quote]
So .... you're saying priests and humanitarian workers should be doing the feds' enforcement for them?