An Old School Catholic Message Board

married priests?

mariahLVzJP2

mariahLVzJP2

I was talking to one of the priests at my church very recently; we were discussing the shortage of priests in the U.S. He said one of the solutions is to let priests get married. He said that this would solve the issue. i was kinda shocked to hear him say this. He also let us know that a few Protestant ministers who are married, are going to be ordained priests (one in our Diocese). He also said that before 1097 priests were allowed to be married, i did not know this. My sister and I told him that we believe that priests shouldn't be married so that they can devote all their time and energy to God and to their ministry. Shouldn't it be like that?

Thy Geekdom Come

Eastern Rite Catholic priests can marry, Latin Rite can't.

The reason is exactly as you said...that and it keeps out nepotism.

Latin Rite priests have no business going around telling people that they think celibacy should be taken away...it scandalizes the faithful. That's up to the Magisterium, not individual priests. Pray for your priest, that God may make him holy.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 24 2006, 10:31 AM']Eastern Rite Catholic priests can marry, Latin Rite can't.
[right][snapback]920150[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Isn't it that married men can become priests rather than priests can become married men?

Brother Adam

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 24 2006, 10:35 AM']Isn't it that married men can become priests rather than priests can become married men?
[right][snapback]920160[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In special circumstances, such as when an anglican priest converts, he may be allowed to become a priest in the Latin Rite, but this is uncommon. We have a married priest at St. Peter's here in Steubie.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 24 2006, 11:35 AM']Isn't it that married men can become priests rather than priests can become married men?
[right][snapback]920160[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, I believe so, but I'm not absolutely certain as to the validity of the priest-then-married case.

Ash Wednesday

If I were a priest, I wouldn't want to shoulder the responsibility of caring for my flock and raising a family at the same time.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Celibacy_and_the_Priesthood.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/library/Celibacy_a..._Priesthood.asp[/url]