An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interfaith dating

avemaria40

I'm going out with a non-Catholic. He was baptised Protestant but brought up in a non-religious family. He's very interested in Catholicism, he asks me questions quite a lot, looks at websites for information (hope he's not reading this!) and has expressed a desire to convert to Catholicism, all off his own bat - I've never tried to persuade him at all.

Many non-Catholics were brought up in non-religious families or have never had much exposure to Catholic teachings or other circumstances like that, so if you impose a blanket ban on dating non-Catholics, you're missing out on some wonderful people in that sector of the population. I'm not saying to consider dating people who are hostile to our religion or whose morals are incompatible with Catholicism, but be open-minded.

prodigalson

First and for most comes your own faith! Stake your life on it. My sister married and protestant and he has just converted and is one AWESOME catholic so there can be good fruits. If this is someone who you believe it is your vocation to marry you should have a LONG and direct conversation with them about what you expect of them, yourself and people in general. Dont jump right into dating either- that can confuse things and what most call "love"(passion) can become and major stumbling block. Remember that True Love is not a feeling or mindset that comes and goes! Love is! Prayer Life should be common among people dating married or courting- having children with someone who refuses to go to mass or engage in some sort of daily prayer is hard for children- its setting up a seperation style of parenting. St. Augustine says "Love... and do as you will!" Remember also that we are God's before anyone elses!

the Church still holds a preference for not marrying outside of the Catholic fullness. To do so can cause all sorts of problems and can even lead to apostasy, heresy, etc...

Catholic Ninja

My opinion on this matter is that I prefer Catholics mainly since I am one myself. This in my opinion would help the relationship becuase im not converting and she will have trouble seeing alot of my background. But as a minumum she would have to be Christian.

i am married to a non catholic. i would reccomend that

YOU DO NOT DO THIS!

heartache, not sharing the sacraments, no sacramental marriage to the complete degree that you could have with a catholic. dont do it to yourself. go to ave maria singles for crying out loud if you cant find a good catholic in your area, but dont date the non catholics no matter how cute they are. all i can say is heartache

I don't think I should, especially since I'm still in high school and have only been a Catholic for almost 2 years, it wouldn't be a wise idea. I think that for now, i'm going to wait and concentrate on what God wants for me.