An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Cam especially...

brendan1104

brendan1104

My great aunt's adopted mother is unconcious and dying in the hospital. She seemed to be making a recovery but relapsed on the 16th. A novus ordo parish priest from the unorthodox and notorious "Catholic" diocese of Rochester ([url="http://www.dor.org/"]http://www.dor.org[/url]) came to the hospital and gave her Anointing of the Sick. As I doubted the faith of the priest, his intention, his form, matter, etc. and knowing that anointing of the sick is hardly more than a pastoral visit and symbolic use of oil for healing- not preparation for death or to save one's souI- I had an SSPX priest visit her today (she was/is still unconcious). He gave her Extreme Unction (I don't know if it was conditional or not) and the Apostolic Blessing/Plenary Indulgence (I don't think priests in Rochester even believe in indulgences much less their value). She is in immindent danger of death. Did she validly receive Extreme Unction, though it was from a priest of the Society of Saint Pius X??

Edited by brendan1104

cmotherofpirl

She recieved it validly the first time whether you doubt the priests intentions or not. To call in a priest from outside the Church..... :ohno:

brendan1104

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 17 2006, 11:20 PM']She recieved it validly the first time whether you doubt the priests intentions or not.  To call in a priest from outside the Church..... :ohno:
[right][snapback]914357[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well "regular" priests that are supposedly inside the church, when they are truly outside the church, should be able to be trusted, along with their sacraments and intentions...

Edited by brendan1104

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 17 2006, 11:15 PM']My great aunt's adopted mother is unconcious and dying in the hospital. She seemed to be making a recovery but relapsed on the 16th. A novus ordo parish priest from the unorthodox  and notorious "Catholic" diocese of  Rochester ([url="http://www.dor.org/"]http://www.dor.org[/url]) came to the hospital and gave her Anointing of the Sick. As I doubted the faith of the priest, his intention, his form, matter, etc. and knowing that anointing of the sick is hardly more than a pastoral visit and symbolic use of oil for healing- not preparation for death or to save one's souI- I had an SSPX priest visit her today (she was/is still unconcious). He gave her Extreme Unction (I don't know if it was conditional or not) and the Apostolic Blessing/Plenary Indulgence (I don't think priests in Rochester even believe in indulgences much less their value). She is in immindent danger of death. Did she validly receive Extreme Unction, though it was from a priest of the Society of Saint Pius X??
[right][snapback]914353[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

She validly received Extreme Unction from the priest who was in union with Rome. There was no need for you to call the SSPX priest.

This is a great example of the error of the SSPX. They teach that everything the current heirarchy does is "dubious" at best and they foster this in their "faithful."

Who are you to doubt the intention of the priest? Who are you to doubt the form? Who are you to doubt the matter? Do you even know what they are?

The form.....

Anointing of the Sick can be administered on an individual basis according to the individual person's needs, at home or in a hospital, usually (in the case of Catholics) in connection with Confession and administration of Holy Communion. It can also be given to a group: Catholic parishes often offer a communal Anointing of the Sick once or twice a year, usually within celebration of Mass.

In the Latin Catholic Church, the priest anoints the sick person's forehead with oil (usually in the form of a cross), saying: "Through this holy anointing may the Lord in his love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit." He then anoints the hands, while saying, "May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up." He may also, in accordance with local culture and traditions and the needs of the sick person, anoint other parts of the body, but without repeating the sacramental formula. Anointing other parts of the body was obligatory in the Western Church before the Second Vatican Council (when the sacramental form was "Through this holy anointing, may the Lord pardon you whatever sins you have committed"), and still is in the Eastern Churches. The full form of the Eastern Christian anointing requires the presence of seven priests, though this is rarely the case today.

The matter....

The special olive oil used (Chrism) is blessed by the bishop of the diocese at the Chrism Mass he celebrates on Holy Thursday or on a day close to it. However, in case of necessity, the priest administering the sacrament may bless the oil within the framework of the celebration.

The intent.....

Does the priest intend to give the Sacrament? Even the most liberal priest in will intend that.

I think that the arrogance of calling the SSPX priest in behind the priest in union with Rome is uncalled for, if not predictable.

How do you know that, "that anointing of the sick is hardly more than a pastoral visit and symbolic use of oil for healing- not preparation for death or to save one's souI?"

Point to this as common practice in the diocese of Rochester. While I most certainly know that the diocese of Rochester is liberal, that doesn't make the Sacraments invalid nor does it make them illicit, all the time.

Was what the SSPX priest did valid? Yes, however, did he have jurisdiction from the local Ordinary to do this? That is the question brendan? Did he? Did the local Ordinary give him the faculty necessary NOT to make what he did illicit?

Those are the questions that you need to ask. And those are the questions that you need to answer.

Guest JeffCR07

Cam's response to your question was solid, and if he would permit me, I would like to point out one more thing, brendan: The situation that you just described sounds to me [i]very[/i] reminiscent of the Donatist heresy during the period of the early Church. While I am in no way calling you a heretic, I would like to warn you that the kind of thinking that lead you to call in a priest for illicit sacraments was the same kind of thinking that was vehemently condemned by the Church in the past.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

toledo_jesus

Sorry about your relative. Listen to Cam though. It's really stretching it to think that a priest would show up and not have the intent to administer the Sacrament. That would be one messed-up priest.

brendan1104

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Mar 18 2006, 09:43 AM']Sorry about your relative.  Listen to Cam though.  It's really stretching it to think that a priest would show up and not have the intent to administer the Sacrament.  That would be one messed-up priest.
[right][snapback]914471[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've no doubt that he intended to administer anointing of the sick. However when you have priests who don't believe in purgatory, hell and mortal sin it would be very hard not to have a priest, whose Catholic beliefs can't be doubted, administer absolution, extreme unction, and the indulgenced blessing.

I get what you're saying cam, but still I needed to make sure that she got absolution from sin, not a diluted "blessing of healing forgiveness for faults" the traditional last sacrament, and the apostolic blessing.

Edited by brendan1104

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 18 2006, 01:23 PM']I've no doubt that he intended to administer anointing of the sick. However when you have priests who don't believe in purgatory, hell and mortal sin it would be very hard not to have a priest, whose Catholic beliefs can't be doubted, administer absolution, extreme unction, and the indulgenced blessing.

I get what you're saying cam, but still I needed to make sure that she got absolution from sin, not a diluted "blessing of healing forgiveness for  faults" the traditional last sacrament, and the apostolic blessing.
[right][snapback]914564[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The priest needs to intend to do what the Church does. That's why even a priest who doesn't believe in the Real Presence can consecrate validly, so long as he wills to do "as the Church does," despite his disbelief.

catholicinsd

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 17 2006, 10:15 PM']My great aunt's adopted mother is unconcious and dying in the hospital. She seemed to be making a recovery but relapsed on the 16th. A novus ordo parish priest from the unorthodox  and notorious "Catholic" diocese of  Rochester ([url="http://www.dor.org/"]http://www.dor.org[/url]) came to the hospital and gave her Anointing of the Sick. As I doubted the faith of the priest, his intention, his form, matter, etc. and knowing that anointing of the sick is hardly more than a pastoral visit and symbolic use of oil for healing- not preparation for death or to save one's souI- I had an SSPX priest visit her today (she was/is still unconcious). He gave her Extreme Unction (I don't know if it was conditional or not) and the Apostolic Blessing/Plenary Indulgence (I don't think priests in Rochester even believe in indulgences much less their value). She is in immindent danger of death. Did she validly receive Extreme Unction, though it was from a priest of the Society of Saint Pius X??
[right][snapback]914353[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why are you so close to such a distant realative?

brendan1104

[b]Comparison of the Rites/Texts of Extreme Unction and Anointing of the Sick[/b]

[u][b]Beginning[/b][/u]:

[b][u]Extreme Unction[/b][/u]:

V. Peace to this house.
R. And all who dwell therein.

[b][u]Anointing of the Sick[/u][/b]:

V. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
R. Amen/And also with you.

[u][b]Asperges/Sprinkling of Holy Water[/b][/u]:

[u][b]Extreme Unction[/b][/u]:

Cleanse me of sin with hyssop, Lord, that I may be purified; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.

Cleanse me of sin with hyssop, Lord, that I may be purified; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

V. Our help is in the Name of the Lord.
R. Who made Heaven and Earth.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come to Thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit

Let us pray.
Hear us, holy Lord, almighty Father, eternal God: and be pleased to send Thy holy angel from Heaven to guard, cherish, protect, visit and defend all that dwell in this house. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

[u][b]Anointing of the Sick[/b][/u]:

The Lord is our shepherd and leads us to streams of living water.

[b][u]Invitation and Penitential Rite/Confession and Communion[/u][/b]

[b][u]Extreme Unction:[/u][/b]

(The priest goes closer to the sick person and, if necessary, hears his confession. Afterward, the Eucharist is given as it usually is outside of Mass, but the sick person, if possible, says the "Confiteor" and the "Domine non sum dignus" with the priest.)

I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the Saints, and to you Father, that I have sinned exceedingly, in thought, word and deed: through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault. Therefore I beseech blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and you Father, to pray to the Lord our God for me.

[The priest then says the Misereátur]

Domine Non Sum Dignus:

Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed.

(The priest will then offer the Eucharist as Viaticum. Viaticum means "Food for the Journey" and is the Eucharist received just before death. When offered as Viaticum, the Eucharist is given with the following words:

Receive, brother (sister), the Viaticum of the Body of our Lord Jesus Christ; and may He keep you from the malignant foe, and bring you to life everlasting. Amen.

Prayer follows:

O holy Lord, Father almighty and eternal God, we pray Thee in faith that the holy Body of our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, may profit our brother (sister) who has received it as an everlasting remedy for body and soul: Who being God, lives and reigns. Amen.

V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit

Let us pray.
O Lord Jesus Christ, let there enter this house with the entrance of our lowliness eternal happiness, divine prosperity, serene gladness, fruitful charity, everlasting health; may there fly from this place all approach of the demons; let the angels of peace be present and all ill-feeling and discord leave this house. Make Your Name great over us, O Lord, and bless + our ministry: hallow the entrance of our lowliness, Thou Who art holy, Thou who are kind, and abide with the Father and the Holy Spirit, world without end.
R. Amen

Let us pray and implore our Lord Jesus Christ that He would fill this dweeling with blessing and all that dwell therein, and send them a good angel to be their guardian and make them His servants to study the wonders of His law; may He turn them from all contrary powers; may He save them from alarm and disturbance and vouchsafe to keep them in health in this dweeling, who with the Father and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns for ever and ever.

Let us pray.
Hear us, holy Lord, almighty Father, eternal God: and be pleased to send Thy holy angel from Heaven to guard, cherish, protect, visit, and defend all them that dwell in this house. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

[b][u]Anointing of the Sick:[/u][/b]

[u][b]Invitation[/b][/u]

My dear friends, we are gathered here in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ who is present among us. As the gospels relate, the sick came to him for healing; moreover, he loves us so much that he died for our sake. Through the apostle James, he commanded us: "Are there any who are sick among you? Let them send for the priests of the Church, and let the priests pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick persons, and the Lord will raise them up; and if they have committed any sins, their sins will be forgiven them."

Let us therefore commend our sick brother/sister N. to the grace and power of Christ, that he may save him/her and raise him/her up.

[b][u]Penitential Rite[/u][/b]

My brothers and sisters, to prepare ourselves for this holy anointing, let us call to mind our sins.

After a brief period of silence, the penitential rite continues, using one of the following:

Lord Jesus, you healed the sick:
Lord have mercy.
R. Lord have mercy

Lord Jesus, you forgave sinners:
Christ have mercy.
R. Christ have mercy

Lord Jesus, you give us yourself to heal us and bring us strength:
Lord have mercy.
R. Lord have mercy

[b][u]Actual Unction/Liturgy of the Word[/u][/b]

[b][u]Extreme Unction[/u][/b]:

(The Confiteor is said. After the priest says the Misereatur, he asks all in the house to pray for the sick person as s/he receives Unction.)

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, let there be extinguished in you all power of the devil by the imposition of our hands, and by the invocation of the glorious and holy Mother of God, the Virgin Mary, and of her illustrious Spouse, St. Joseph, and of all the holy Angels, Archangels, Patriarchs, Porphets, Apostles, Martyrs, Confessors, Virgins, and of all the saints together.
R. Amen.

(The priest takes the Oleum Infirmorum (the Oil of the Sick) and annoints the sick person in 6 places: eyelids, ears, nostrils, lips, hands, feet. As he annoints each place, he says the words below. After annointing each place, he wipes it with a piece of cotton.)

By this holy unction + and his own most gracious mercy, may the Lord pardon you whatever sin you have committed by (sight, hearing, smell, taste and speech, touch, ability to walk).

R. Amen

[b][u]Anointing of the Sick[/u][/b]

[b][u]Liturgy of the Word[/u][/b]

Reading:
Matthew 11:25-30
Mark 2:1-12
Luke 7:18b-23

Response:

A brief period of silence may be observed after the reading of the word of God.

The priest may then give a brief explanation of the reading, applying it to the needs of the sick person and those who are looking after him or her.

[b][u]Liturgy of Anointing[/u][/b]

[b][u]Litany[/u][/b]

My brothers and sisters, in our prayer of faith let us appeal to God for our brother/sister N.

Come and strengthen him/her through this holy anointing: Lord, have mercy.
R. Lord, have mercy

Free him/her from all harm: Lord, have mercy
R. Lord, have mercy

Free him/her from sin and all temptation: Lord, have mercy.
R. Lord, have mercy

Relieve the sufferings of all sick [here present]: Lord, have mercy.
R. Lord, have mercy

Assist all those dedicated to the care of the sick: Lord, have mercy.
R. Lord, have mercy

Give life and health to our brother/sister N., on whom we lay our hands in your name: Lord, have mercy.
R. Lord, have mercy

[u][b]Laying on of Hands[/b][/u]
(In silence, the priest lays hands on the head of the sick person)

[b][u]Prayer over the Oils[/u][/b]

Praise to you, God, the almighty Father.
You sent your Son to live among us
and to bring us salvation.
R. Blessed be God who heals us in Christ.

Praise to you, God, the only-begotten Son.
You humbled yourself to share in our humanity
and you heal our infirmities.

Praise to you, God, the Holy Spirit, the Consoler.
Your unfailing power give us strength
in our body weakness.

God of mercy,
ease the sufferings and comfort the weakness of your servant N.,
whom the Church anoints with this holy oil.

We ask this through Christ our Lord
R. Amen

[b][u]Anointing[/u][/b]

First he anoints the forehead saying:

Through this holy anointing
may the Lord in his love and mercy help you
with the grace of the Holy Spirit.
R. Amen

Then he anoints the hands, saying:

May the Lord who frees you from sin
save you and raise you up.
R. Amen

[b][u]Prayers After Unction/Anointing[/u][/b]

[b][u]Extreme Unction[/u][/b]

(The priest wipes his hands on the bread or cotton, washes them, and continues)

Lord have mercy.
Christ have mercy.
Lord have mercy.
Our Father (silently)...
V. And lead us not into temptation.
R. But deliver us from evil.

V. Save your servant (handmaid).
R. Who hopes in Thee, my God.
V. Send him (her) help, O Lord, from Thy holy place.
R. And from Sion Thy protection.
V. Be to him (her), O Lord, a tower of strength.
R. From the face of the enemy.
V. Let not the enemy prevail over him (her).
R. Nor the son of iniquity draw nigh to hurt him (her).
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.
Lord God, Who said by Thy apsotle James: Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the Church, and let htem pray over him, ammointing him with oil in the Name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith shall save the sick man, and the Lord shall raise him up: and if he be in sins they shall be forgiven him; we implore Thee, our Redeemer, to cure by the grace of the Holy Spirit the ailments of this sick person and heal his (her) wounds, forgive his (her) sins, drive from him (her) all pains of mind and body and in Thy mercy restore him (her) to full health within and without, that being cured by the help of Thy mercy he (she) may return to his (her) former duties, Thou Who with the Father and the Holy Spirit liveth and reigneth God, for ever and ever.
R. Amen

Let us pray. O holy Lord, Father almighty and eternal God, Who by pouring the grace of Thy blessing upon the bodies of the sick tends Thy creature with many proofs of Thy love, be pleased to draw near at the invocation of Thy Name, that Thy servant (handmaid) may be delivered from sickness and endowed with health: raise him (her) up with Thy right hand, strengthen him (her) in Thy might, defend him (her) by Thy power, and restore him (her) with all desired prosperity to Thy Holy Church. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen

[b][u]Prayer after Anointing[/u][/b]

Father in heaven,
through this holy anointing grant N. comfort in his/her suffering, when he/she is afraid, give him/her courage, when afflicted, give him/her patience, when dejected, afford him/her hope, and when alone, assure him/her of the support of your holy people.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

[b][u]The Lord's Prayer[/u][/b]

Celebrant:
Now let us pray to God as our Lord Jesus Christ taught us:
All: Our Father ...

[b][u]Liturgy of Holy Communion[/u][/b]
(optional)

[b][u]Communion[/u][/b]

Celebrant:
This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened and I will refresh you.
R. Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.

Celebrant:
The body of Christ.
R. Amen.

[i]or[/i]

Celebrant:
May the Lord Jesus Christ protect you and lead you to eternal life.
R. Amen.

(Silent Prayer)

[b][u]Prayer after Communion[/u][/b]

Let us pray.

All-powerful God,
through the paschal mystery of Christ your Son
you have competed the work of our redemption
May we, who in these sacramental signs
proclaim his death and resurrection,
grow in the experience of your saving power.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen.

[b][u]Concluding Rite/Last Blessing[/u][/b]

[b][u]Extreme Unction[/u][/b]

Remember not, Lord, the offences of Thy servant (handmaid), and take not vengeance on his (her) sins.
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
[Our Father (silently)]...
V.And lead us not into temptaton.
R. But deliver us from evil.
V. Save your servant (handmaid).
R. Who hopes in Thee, my God.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit
V. Let us pray.

Let us pray. Most gracious God, Father of mercies and God of all consolation, Thou wish none to perish that believes and hopes in Thee, according to Thy many mercies look down favourably upon Thy servant (handmaid) N. whom true faith and Christian hope commend to Thee. Visit him (her) in Thy saving mercy, and by the passion and death of Thy only-begotten Son, graciously grant to him (her) forgiveness and pardon of all his (her) sins that his (her) soul in the hour of its leaving the earth may find Thee as a Judge appeased, and being washed from all stain in the Blood of Thy same Son may deserve to pass to everlasting life. Through the same Christ our Lord.
R. Amen

(One of those present, and the sick person (if possible) says the Confiteor, then the priest says the Misereatur, Indulgentiam, etc. and continues):

May our Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, Who to His apostle Peter gave the power of binding and loosing, by His most gracious mercy receive your confession and restore to you that first robe which you received at Baptism; and I, by the faculty given me by the Apostolic See, grant you a plenary indulgence and remission of all your sins, in the Name of the Father +, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

R. Amen.

By the Sacred mysteries of man's redemption may almighty God remit to you all penalities of the present life and of the life to come: may He open to you the gates of paradise and lead you to joys everlasting.

R. Amen.

May almighty God bless you, Father + and Son, and Holy Spirit.
R. Amen.

[b][u]Apostolic Blessing[/u][/b]
By the Faculty which the Apostolic See has given me, I grant you a plenary indulgence for the remission of all your sins, and I bless you. In the Name of the Father and the Son + and the Holy Sprit. Amen.

(Having come into contact with the Holy Oil, the bread, cotton, lemon, and water used by the priest when rinsing his fingers must be disposed of by burning or by burying in the earth. Thus ends the Rite of the Sacrament of Unction. Remember to ask for the Apostolic Blessing, which is a complete pardon for sins and for the punishment of sins if the recipient is properly disposed.)

[b][u]Blessing[/u][/b]

May the blessing of the almighty God,
the Father and the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
come upon you and remain with you for ever.
R. Amen.

(Apostolic Blessing optional, this is only a general ritual of the Anointing Outside of Mass. There are other options that the family and presider may choose for the different parts of the rite.)

[b][u]End of the Comparison of the Rites/Texts of Extreme Unction and Anointing of the Sick[/u][/b]

Now can you see why I called the SSPX priest? Just look at the differences.

The traditional matter of the Sacrament is olive oil blessed by a Bishop using these words: "Send forth we pray, Your Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, from heaven into this rich substance of oil".

In the new rite, any oil of plant origin may be used, blessed by a priest using these words: "May your blessing come upon all who are anointed with this oil, that they may be freed from pain and illness and made well again in body and mind and soul." - The Holy Spirit is no longer invoked, and the oil itself is not blessed.

The traditional and ancient form of the Sacrament is: "Through this Holy Unction or oil, and through the great goodness of His mercy, may God pardon thee whatever sins thou hast committed by evil use of sight (sight, hearing, smell, taste and speech, touch, ability to walk."

In the new rite, it is given as "Through this holy anointing may the Lord in His love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up." - There is no request of God to remit sins.

There are several differences which I might include at a later time, but most signifcantly are the revised/deleted/new prayers, less anointings and when the confession is heard and holy communion given.

Edited by brendan1104

brendan1104

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Mar 18 2006, 02:32 PM']Why are you so close to such a distant realative?
[right][snapback]914657[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Partly because she's the equivalent of my great-grandmother especially since my grandmother's adopted mother died before I was born. Also our family's very Italian and close-knit... I don't see how that's relevant to this discussion on SSPX priests administering the last sacraments and the differences of extreme unction and anointing of the sick though.

Edited by brendan1104

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 18 2006, 12:23 PM']I've no doubt that he intended to administer anointing of the sick. However when you have priests who don't believe in purgatory, hell and mortal sin it would be very hard not to have a priest, whose Catholic beliefs can't be doubted, administer absolution, extreme unction, and the indulgenced blessing.

I get what you're saying cam, but still I needed to make sure that she got absolution from sin, not a diluted "blessing of healing forgiveness for  faults" the traditional last sacrament, and the apostolic blessing.
[right][snapback]914564[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

God help you for your attitude.

God gives us graces for our obedience, even if those around us are disobedient in thought, word or deed.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 18 2006, 02:34 PM'][b]Comparison of the Rites/Texts of Extreme Unction and Anointing of the Sick...Now can you see why I called the SSPX priest? Just look at the differences.

The traditional matter of the Sacrament is olive oil blessed by a Bishop using these words:  "Send forth we pray, Your Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, from heaven into this rich substance of oil".

In the new rite, any oil of plant origin may be used, blessed by a priest using these words: "May your blessing come upon all who are anointed with this oil, that they may be freed from pain and illness and made well again in body and mind and soul." - The Holy Spirit is no longer invoked, and the oil itself is not blessed.

The traditional and ancient form of the Sacrament is: "Through this Holy Unction or oil, and through the great goodness of His mercy, may God pardon thee whatever sins thou hast committed by evil use of sight (sight, hearing, smell, taste and speech, touch, ability to walk."

In the new rite, it is given as "Through this holy anointing may the Lord in His love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up." - There is no request of God to remit sins.

There are several differences which I might include at a later time, but most signifcantly are the revised/deleted/new prayers, less anointings and when the confession is heard and holy communion given.
[right][snapback]914658[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You need to take some classes in sacramental theology before you go telling the Church that she is wrong.