An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children born to undocumented immigrants

Sojourner

OK, so our local ACLU is suing the state because of a scholarship program it claims that discriminates against a certain population.

The suit was filed on behalf of EC, a teenager who was born in the U.S. (and therefore is a citizen). Her parents don't have lawful immigration status.

She's in a program called 21st Century Scholars, which is designed to encourage disadvantaged students to stay in school and stay out of trouble. At the end, if you've kept you nose clean, you are eligible for scholarship. The girl was denied for aid based on the fact that her parents aren't legal. Remember that she herself is a citizen.

Should she receive aid?

homeschoolmom

First of all, question: is it a government or private grant?

But I would say, "yes." She is a citizen and apparently that is what counts for the scholarship.

Brother Adam

Her parents should not receive any kind of scholarship, but yes, she probably should. It makes it a sticky situation, because they are illegal.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 17 2006, 03:16 PM']Her parents should not receive any kind of scholarship, but yes, she probably should. It makes it a sticky situation, because they are illegal.
[right][snapback]914179[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Then I would ask you (since you think that she "probably" should): If her parents were citizens but in jail for commiting some other illegal act (take your pick-- robbery, prostitution, drug smuggling, whatever), would that render her ineligible for a government grant? If so, why? If not, why is this different?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 17 2006, 03:09 PM']Government grant.

And I personally agree with you.
[right][snapback]914173[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I knew you would.

Thy Geekdom Come

I think she should get it, so long as she qualifies (I'm assuming this is the only thing keeping her from it).

Well this has nothing to do with her family. It's HER scholarship, unless it's got some sort of qualifier in the wording for the parents.

On Pilgrimage

[quote]She's in a program called 21st Century Scholars, which is designed to encourage disadvantaged students to stay in school and stay out of trouble. At the end, if you've kept you nose clean, you are eligible for scholarship. The girl was denied for aid based on the fact that her parents aren't legal. Remember that she herself is a citizen.

Should she receive aid?[/quote]
I just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with everyone else -- if she's a citizen, and if it's a government grant and not a private scholarship, then she should be entitled to the same rights as other citizens.

Cow of Shame

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 19 2006, 10:12 AM']Well this has nothing to do with her family.  It's HER scholarship, unless it's got some sort of qualifier in the wording for the parents.
[right][snapback]915028[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Except scholarships are very often granted based on your parents...how much they make, what race they are, etc. I didn't get money for college 'cause my parents had just paid off their house (leaving them with no large outstanding debts). It was assumed that they could & would pay for my tuition & housing fees.