An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Great Flood was a global event

Desert Walker

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 21 2006, 08:57 AM']I know [i]you [/i]don't. It's often hard to see the plank in one's own eye.  Others of us do. You made a giant fallacy-filled leap. You were wrong to make it.
[right][snapback]916356[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:popcorn:

Brother Adam

Again, I have not attacked anyone personally. I have simply pointed out the reasonable conclusion of evolutionism, which is a denial of the supernatural. If someone doesn't like that, then they should re-examine their position rather than be offended.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 21 2006, 12:39 PM']Again, I have not attacked anyone personally. I have simply pointed out the reasonable conclusion of evolutionism, which is a denial of the supernatural. If someone doesn't like that, then they should re-examine their position rather than be offended.
[right][snapback]916467[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
OK, let me try to break down for you exactly how your earlier statement was extraordinarily offensive:

Cmom said:
[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 16 2006, 04:02 PM']There has never been any scientific proof for a world wide flood.
[right][snapback]913357[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Quoting her, you replied:
[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 16 2006, 04:05 PM']I knew the evolutionist {note by Sojourner: obviously a direct reference to Cmom} would speak up sooner than later. Didn't you know Desert walker, [b]even Jesus is a made up story to blind the masses. There is a "Jesus of history" and a "Jesus of faith". Anything close to a miracle must be denied.[/b][right][snapback]913359[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You made no disclaimer in your statement that the bolded section was not in direct reference to "the evolutionist," who was clearly Cmom. The logical implication is that you were claiming she did not believe in miracles or in Catholic teaching.

You owe her an apology.

Brother Adam

[quote name='peach_cube' date='Mar 20 2006, 06:58 PM']Have you ever correlated rock strata?  Have you seen you used distinct mineralogical and chemical analysis of said rock strata in order to match up said strata?  If you go to Iquazu Falls in Argentina and take a sample of the basalt rock cliffs and then go across the ocean to the Numibian desert and take a sample of the basalt cliffs there, you will find that they are exactly the same.  Meaning they formed from the same fissure.  You can in fact observe the fossil record.  Extinction events put biological diversity vs. geological and astrogeological processes. 
[right][snapback]916010[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have a simple question, totally non-scientific. How do you know the science is good science? How do you know it won't change, new discoveries won't be made, and what you believe is true, is indeed not true, in light of information that you don't have yet?

I would really like to see you reply to Sojourner's and others posts, Adam, because I, too, feel that you owe cmom an apology.

Brother Adam

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 21 2006, 03:20 PM']:popcorn:
[right][snapback]916730[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Can I have some popcorn too? :sadder:

stbernardLT

I think there is a story of the flood in the "Epic of Gilgamesh" which predates the bible, If I remember correctly it just has a little different twist and different characters.

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12174b.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12174b.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11088a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11088a.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04702a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04702a.htm[/url]

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 21 2006, 03:30 PM']Can I have some popcorn too?  :sadder:
[right][snapback]916735[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sure

After you apologize to Cmom

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 20 2006, 03:46 PM']I implied that your assertions were marxist. And they were.
[right][snapback]915815[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
riiight. waiting until you can afford food is marxist. I suppose capitalists would want them to marry and starve, since they were unfit to survive.

Also, your statement did imply insult to cmom. time to humbly apologize.

Brother Adam

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Mar 21 2006, 05:00 PM']riiight.  waiting until you can afford food is marxist.  I suppose capitalists would want them to marry and starve, since they were unfit to survive.

Also, your statement did imply insult to cmom.  time to humbly apologize.
[right][snapback]916829[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

But of course, that is not what you implied in your post that is by far in the past. :)

Brother Adam

[quote][quote]Have you ever correlated rock strata?  Have you seen you used distinct mineralogical and chemical analysis of said rock strata in order to match up said strata?  If you go to Iquazu Falls in Argentina and take a sample of the basalt rock cliffs and then go across the ocean to the Numibian desert and take a sample of the basalt cliffs there, you will find that they are exactly the same.  Meaning they formed from the same fissure.  You can in fact observe the fossil record.  Extinction events put biological diversity vs. geological and astrogeological processes.
*[/quote]

I have a simple question, totally non-scientific. How do you know the science is good science? How do you know it won't change, new discoveries won't be made, and what you believe is true, is indeed not true, in light of information that you don't have yet?[/quote]

Well...

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 21 2006, 01:05 PM']I have a simple question, totally non-scientific. How do you know the science is good science? How do you know it won't change, new discoveries won't be made, and what you believe is true, is indeed not true, in light of information that you don't have yet?
[right][snapback]916542[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Certain aspects of Science develop and become refined, however some are quite certain. How rocks form is not in question, whereas more complicated processes are still very much in doubt. For example, Corona on Venus, some volcanic features on Io, convection mechanics in the upper and lower mantle. An intellectually honest scientist has no qualms admitting that there is unknown. That does not make the known false.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 21 2006, 01:05 PM']I have a simple question, totally non-scientific. How do you know the science is good science? How do you know it won't change, new discoveries won't be made, and what you believe is true, is indeed not true, in light of information that you don't have yet?
[right][snapback]916542[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Then you move on and amend yourself.

If the Fathers never theologized because they were deathly afraid of being wrong, the Catholic faith wouldn't exist. They kicked around ideas, most of them were right, sometimes they were wrong.

The development of Truth, theological or scientific, is part of life.