An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which astronomical system do you believe in?

Resurrexi

What of the following astronomical systems do you think is the most correct?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What type of astronomical system do you believe in? We personally are a Geo-Centrist, and We are wondering what most phatmassers are.

Also, seeing as most helio-centrists do not believe the sun is the centre of the universe, but rather, the centre of the "solar system" we would like to, for the purposes of this pole, define helio-centrism as the belief that the earth revolves around the sun.

Edited by StThomasMore

I am probably going to get shot down on this one but that is okay because science is by no means my strong point, but I would say the center is whatever object you make it. All things in the universe appear to move in relation to one another so it would seem possible to designate an object as the center and all objects move in relation to that be it the sun, earth, or otherwise.

Everywhere is the center, just depends on how you look at it.

We don't have a clearly defined map of the universe, all we know is that a lot of things are moving away from us (and us from them) because of the red shift. Does that mean we are the center? No, any other planet would have the seem results. We don't know what the center is, we don't have the data to calculate it. But, if I were to stake a bet on it, I would say not the earth and not a planet. Space, as the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy puts it,

""Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindboggingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."

Plus, the universe seems to be expanding. The size of the universe can be said to be x. There is a finite amount of matter in the universe, y. The "density" of matter in the universe is y/x. But x is app. infinity. And any finite number divided by infinite is zero. So, Earth doesn't exist and therefore cannot be the center.

But really, the likelyhood that Earth, or any planet, will be the center of the universe is so small it is silly. There is a hugely vast amount of space and TBK the center could be anywhere. There are a lot of anywheres there, and the earth is just one.

What exactly is space? Is there an end to space? How does it end? Are there theoretical walls or boundaries that wall it off? Is it a globe like earth, except containing everything that exists rather than just one planet? (These are serious questions, btw)

Edited by Era Might

Guest JeffCR07

two of my best friends are physics majors and apparently it is, technically, possible to designate any point in the universe as a fixed point around which all other objects move. Given the designated frame of reference, all the forces in the universe will work out.

The center has not yet been found. Although the universe is infinite, there is galactical movement, as Iacobus pointed out; and I'm not sure if we'vefound the point from which it is moving from or moving to.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Mar 15 2006, 07:27 PM']The center has not yet been found.  Although the universe is infinite, there is galactical movement, as Iacobus pointed out; and I'm not sure if we'vefound the point from which it is moving from or moving to.
[right][snapback]912853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How can the universe be infinite? That would mean it's God? :idontknow:

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='Era Might' date='Mar 15 2006, 05:28 PM']How can the universe be infinite? That would mean it's God?  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]912856[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, it wouldn't. First, there are two different kinds of infinity - aleph naught and the continuum - with the latter being greater than the former. Second, neither one, of itself, is equivalent to God (that than which nothing greater can be conceived).

There are an infinite number of points in you. Are you God?

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Mar 15 2006, 07:31 PM']There are an infinite number of points in you. Are you God?
[right][snapback]912863[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sure sounds like it.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Mar 15 2006, 04:58 PM'] We personally are a Geo-Centrist, and We are wondering what most phatmassers are.
[right][snapback]912811[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ahh . . . the "Royal We" :rolleyes:

I personally believe I am the center of the universe.

All the rest of you are here for my personal entertainment.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 15 2006, 09:20 PM']I personally believe I am the center of the universe.

All the rest of you are here for my personal entertainment.
[right][snapback]912979[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hahaha you rock my world!