An Old School Catholic Message Board

Television

Sojourner

What's the status of television in your home?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

homeschoolmom

I'm confused as to why movies are inherently better than a TV show.... I mean, there are tv shows that are better than some movies.

What I'm doing during the week usually influences how much tv I watch...although I'm an American Idol, House, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Family Guy addict.

And I agree with Homeschoolmom

[quote name='kateri05' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:36 PM']lil red, nooooooooooooooooo  fight it!

lol my husband (who hates it, like, it makes him angry he hates it so much! :lol:) and make fun of it THE whole time and the music.  its really this bizarre love-hate relationship, like a car accident.  i can't beleive how bad it really is, so i have to watch it to comprehend the insanity :P:
i know, i'm nutz :wacko: :crazy:[right][snapback]911586[/snapback][/right][/quote]i completely agree with you!

[quote name='onathing1' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:40 PM']although I'm an Family Guy addict.[right][snapback]911591[/snapback][/right][/quote]:drool: me too.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='rkwright' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:41 PM']gah what is with all the Star Trek fans on here!?

I don't get it... I was very opposed to Star Trek growing up, I saw it as the rival to Star Wars which is way better... for me it was mutually exlusive, it was not possible to like Darth Vadar and those klingon thingys...

And it carried over through my life. 

:starwars:
[right][snapback]911529[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
poor child... perhaps you will get over this affliction...

I'm one of those freaks who doesn't watch TV. My TV isn't hooked up, so I just watch DVDs. The reception is really bad here, and I'm a cheapskate who's figured cable's not worth up.
I've been thinking about getting some kind of hook-up so I can watch sports and news, but most of the time there's simply better things to do with my time (like post on phatmass).

I don't think many people (other than some extreme distributists) would say television is in itself intrinsically evil, but I think any serious Christian would agree there is a lot of garbage on the tube, and programming seems to keep getting worse in moral quality. This is not to say that there is not some good programming. But regardless of the quality of programming, TV can be a bad habit if indulged in excessively. Spending much of one's life staring passively at a TV screen is not good, and seems to be addictive for many people. Also, it seems that, whether people realize it or not, people tend to absorb the values (or lack there of) being shown on screen.
Most Americans spend way too much time in front of the boob tube.

It's been probably 7 years since I watched any broadcast TV... and on the rare occasion when I see network shows nowadays I am [i]shocked[/i] at how explicit they are.

I'm sure the change has been gradual, but over a multi-year gap, it's very pronounced.

Well, I said that I only watch movies, but there are times when I do watch TV. For example when the Olympics were on. But I never watch any 'shows'; they're all dumb and a waste of time.

Dust's Sister

The main thing I watch on tv is EWTN. I stay home all day with my mom since I help her with her business at home, and we got EWTN on all day in the living room.

EWTN, is pretty much the only thing I watch besides..

AMERICAN IDOL
WifeSwap
Nanny 911
MakeOver Home Edition; and now that new show
and sometimes the old sitcoms like Full House, Boy Meets World, Fresh Prince, Bill Cosby, Home Improvement-- you know; the good shows?

I use to watch MTV and BET and VH1 but nothing on those stations interest me anymore. Everytime I see a music video it makes me kinda sick....

Edited by Dust's Sister

I watch movies.
Although every Sunday my family watches Extreme Makeover home edition. (making sure to turn off the comercials that my 6 yr. old brother shouldn't see)

Thats about it.

RascalJones

OK, I myself watch very little. But the TV is on pretty much from 7 AM to midnight, every day. Most of the time it's just noise, but there are 3 other people in my house that watch tv/movies.

Of course, my TV watching will change here in a few weeks with the birth of the new baseball season.....assuming my cable provider shows the Indians this year.

GO TRIBE!

RascalJones

[quote name='Sailahína' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:01 PM']I watch movies.
Although every Sunday my family watches Extreme Makeover home edition. (making sure to turn off the comercials that my 6 yr. old brother shouldn't see)

Thats about it.
[right][snapback]911957[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

We used to watch that show, but have given up on it. I myself call it EXPLOIT Home Makeover. Those families are getting a great gift, but what about the cost of utilities to run some of the monsters they build? What about all the new property taxes?

That, and I'm tired of hearing all the sob stories that they edit to make "good television".

bah.

Don't get me wrong, the homes they build are amazing, and I'd probably watch the show if it wasn't for the "human interest" angle. Doing it just to do it, would be cool, but USING the families to sell your show, just seems wrong to me.

Proud2BCatholic139

I wouldn't say TV is the problem, I think now a days it is the internet. It's not that I am looking at bad stuff, but it's is just like, most of my stuff has to be done for school on the internet. I don't watch TV ever. If I do, it will be like 3 times a week for one hour.

Brother Adam

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 14 2006, 02:36 PM']I'm confused as to why movies are inherently better than a TV show.... I mean, there are tv shows that are better than some movies.
[right][snapback]911587[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'd say the top reasons movies are better than TV:

1. Commercials. Probably 50% of the problem. They are often very explicit. At least, they were when I watched TV regularly in high school, I can't imagine how bad they are now.
2. You can know what you are going to see if you watch a movie and get recommendations before hand. Ratings also help. USCCB website helps. With TV you just never know.
3. Once you own a movie you own it. No huge monthly fees.
4. Movies have some resale value.
5. It is easier to find catechetical value in movies than it is on TV.
6. 90% of your bill goes to programming you don't watch.
7. I watched my mom flip through what had to be over 100 channels about 3 times and then declare "there is nothing on, lets watch a movie". :blink: