An Old School Catholic Message Board

Using exits to gain position on highways

scardella

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:24 AM']people that are in a hurry cause traffic jams. My dad is a city traffic engineer. The lights are timed in GR to keep traffic flowing based on models where people drive the speed limit. When I drive with him he rarely ever hits a red light :)
[right][snapback]911274[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So if I drive exactly twice the speed limit I should hit all the lights, right?

[quote name='philothea' date='Mar 14 2006, 08:17 AM']Do you mind when other people do it to you?
[right][snapback]911183[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, because it's really only supposed to be used to get on and off the highway.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 14 2006, 09:24 AM']people that are in a hurry cause traffic jams. My dad is a city traffic engineer. The lights are timed in GR to keep traffic flowing based on models where people drive the speed limit. When I drive with him he rarely ever hits a red light :)
[right][snapback]911274[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Doesn't really apply in this situation, because the interstate doesn't have traffic lights...

Brother Adam

Well my dad doesn't time the lights in the entire country. It depends on the city traffic engineers and how well they do their job :P:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 14 2006, 08:32 AM']What bugs me most is discourteous merging.
[right][snapback]911286[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yea really, can i get a WAVE please :maddest:

i'll let you in but it would be nice if you got off your cellphone and said a little thank you :madrant:

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:45 AM']So if I drive exactly twice the speed limit I should hit all the lights, right?
[right][snapback]911400[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I like this idea... :evil:

Brother Adam

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:45 AM']So if I drive exactly twice the speed limit I should hit all the lights, right?
[right][snapback]911400[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='scardella' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:49 AM'][quote name='philothea' date='Mar 14 2006, 08:17 AM']
Do you mind when other people do it to you?
[right][snapback]911183[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, because it's really only supposed to be used to get on and off the highway.
[right][snapback]911407[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think the answer is obvious... "Do to others whatever you would have them do to you."

ok well the results are back!

and it didn't work.... it worked about 50% of the time... I was actually going and saw the line of lights in front of me all go green which was good, made it to the first one, then saw the second one go red and it just threw everything off...

of course of traffic systems were probably designed by Aggies :pinch:

[quote name='rkwright' date='Mar 14 2006, 02:30 PM']ok well the results are back!

and it didn't work.... it worked about 50% of the time... I was actually going and saw the line of lights in front of me all go green which was good, made it to the first one, then saw the second one go red and it just threw everything off...

of course of traffic systems were probably designed by Aggies  :pinch:
[right][snapback]911519[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Too bad you don't live in Grand Rapids, where the lights are always green when you follow the speed limit.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:32 PM']Too bad you don't live in Grand Rapids, where the lights are always green when you follow the speed limit.
[right][snapback]911521[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yes but would I have to attach a snow plow to the front of my car to make the lights??

Something about 60-70 degrees in janurary\feburary keeps me here

toledo_jesus

[quote name='scardella' date='Mar 14 2006, 09:48 AM']Hey, you know how they've got those exits where you can get right back onto the highway?  I was wondering while in traffic this morning, if it would be morally permissible to use them to save some time if traffic were backed up.  If you want to see a map of one, [url="http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=I-10+at+Clearview&city=Metairie&state=LA&zipcode="]click here.[/url]  This particular one is a cloverleaf design.
[right][snapback]911143[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's called scrupulosity and you have it. :lol:

Brother Adam

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:32 PM']Too bad you don't live in Grand Rapids, where the lights are always green when you follow the speed limit.
[right][snapback]911521[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Did I sense a hint of "whatever" in that post :)

And when did I say always? Oh yes, never.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:56 PM']Did I sense a hint of "whatever" in that post :)

And when did I say always? Oh yes, never.
[right][snapback]911605[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're absolutely right to call me on this.

Please let me rephrase:

Too bad you don't live in Grand Rapids, where the lights are rarely ever green when you ride with Adam's dad.

I just wish traffic were consistently good...

It seems like there's an accordion effect whenever there's a little slowdown, and at rush hour that doesn't smooth out until rush hour dies down...

I left the same time today and got to work a half-hour later...