An Old School Catholic Message Board

Using exits to gain position on highways

scardella

Hey, you know how they've got those exits where you can get right back onto the highway? I was wondering while in traffic this morning, if it would be morally permissible to use them to save some time if traffic were backed up. If you want to see a map of one, [url="http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=I-10+at+Clearview&city=Metairie&state=LA&zipcode="]click here.[/url] This particular one is a cloverleaf design.

Because they're for entering and exiting the highway, not to try and jump ahead and remain on the highway.

Driving on the shoulder to cut past traffic: bad.

Working best utilize the system for your benefit: not a problem.

You're not breaking the law. I think you're fine.

[quote name='kateri05' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:20 AM']not when they do that; its when they drive on the shoulder that drives me BONKERS :club:
[right][snapback]911265[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yep, me too.

Brother Adam

people that are in a hurry cause traffic jams. My dad is a city traffic engineer. The lights are timed in GR to keep traffic flowing based on models where people drive the speed limit. When I drive with him he rarely ever hits a red light :)

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:24 AM']people that are in a hurry cause traffic jams. My dad is a city traffic engineer. The lights are timed in GR to keep traffic flowing based on models where people drive the speed limit. When I drive with him he rarely ever hits a red light :)
[right][snapback]911274[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I always thought traffic jams were caused by a) an excess of traffic or b) driver stupidity or c) a combination of the two.

I drive in the city all the time. Not all lights can be timed to coincide with the speed limit. That only works on one-way streets.

But we digress from the topic at hand.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:34 AM']I always thought traffic jams were caused by a) an excess of traffic or b) driver stupidity or c) a combination of the two.

I drive in the city all the time. Not all lights can be timed to coincide with the speed limit. That only works on one-way streets.

But we digress from the topic at hand.
[right][snapback]911288[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Not only one one way streets, but alot depends on the flow of traffic. low flow of traffic on a given street - more likely to hit a red. I've been through extremely busy metro areas where the traffic typically flows very well. Alot depends on design and timing. But yes, stupid drivers don't help.

homeschoolmom

It would be nice if they were able to update the timing mechanism more frequently. Our area is growing so fast, the timers are way off. If you hit one red, you will probably hit them all. There was a report on why they don't fix them more often-- too expensive. It's like once every six or seven years. :(

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:56 AM']It would be nice if they were able to update the timing mechanism more frequently. Our area is growing so fast, the timers are way off. If you hit one red, you will probably hit them all. There was a report on why they don't fix them more often-- too expensive. It's like once every six or seven years. :(
[right][snapback]911339[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, one of the busiest streets in Indy is on the north side; it's six lanes on most of it, and you can't avoid hitting reds no matter what speed you travel at. I've tried the range.

I by no means know the right answer to this, but I would think that as long as you are not driving recklessly and in danger or harming someone, pretty much anything goes. I've been known to be a little creative when driving myself.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:24 AM']people that are in a hurry cause traffic jams. My dad is a city traffic engineer. The lights are timed in GR to keep traffic flowing based on models where people drive the speed limit. When I drive with him he rarely ever hits a red light :)
[right][snapback]911274[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hmm I'm going to try this today when I'm out! I'll report my findings later... :detective:

sounds interesting though!