An Old School Catholic Message Board

Credible critique

Sojourner

[quote name='thedude' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:06 PM']I do it all the time!  I don't know how many movies I have declared the "worst of all time" when I've never even seen it.  Sometimes you don't have to see it to know it's bad:
[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008YRU0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]
[right][snapback]911614[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh come on! What's not to love? A cute kangaroo with shades and a Brooklyn jacket? You're heartless.

Although he does remind me of Joe Camel ...

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Did you see the commercial when that movie came out!? How could ANYONE find merit in that excuse for a movie? I've never seen Kangaroo Jack but maintain it is one of the worst films of all time.

I'd disagree that one would have to actually view (or listen to, read, etc.) a work of literature or drama to know whether it would be morally wrong, if one gets his information about it from trusted and honest sources.

However, if one were offering a public critique (as in writing an article, etc.) he must see it himself to have credibility as a critic. When people attack something they obviously know nothing about, they come off as ridiculous by those in the know.
(For instance, I've heard of a priest giving a sermon condemning the horrible works of a certain "Mr. Potter" - who thought that Harry Potter was the [i]author[/i] of the books. Also I read part of an opinion piece in a conservative Catholic paper, which brought up the movie [i]Gladiator[/i] as an example of the depravity of modern Hollywood. The author, who had never seen the movie, was under the impression that the emperor Commodus was the [i]hero[/i] of the flick, and went on about how depraved Commodus was, and how typical of hollywood to make a movie glorifying this kind of man!)

As for [i]The DaVinci Code[/i], I don't think it is necessary to watch the movie or read the book; the important thing is to be able to refute the various historical lies presented in the book about Christ and the Church. One can do that by finding a reliable source of information, and does not therefore need to spend money on the book or movie.