An Old School Catholic Message Board

Standards for Teachers in Catholic Schools

kateri05

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kateri05' date='Mar 13 2006, 02:02 PM']:hehehe:  i love using phrases in ways people wouldn't like, theo :P:

that being said, how does Ex corde get implemented?  because CLEARLY its not.  at all.

or maybe that's just here? :idontknow:
[right][snapback]910387[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's implemented at FUS...although there are some rough patches.

[quote name='kateri05' date='Mar 13 2006, 02:00 PM']i'm very concerned about sexual identity with highschoolers because, as a result of the media and secular culture, they become "sexualized" at much younger ages.  sure they might not finish thinking it through until college, but many of them are certinaly thinking and DOING something about it in highschool and often the WRONG thing. 

high school students are many times more susceptible to bad examples than college students, because of their age and maturity.
[right][snapback]910385[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You are of course right.

But that doesn't mean colleges and high schools are facing totally different animals ... in essence, we're talking about employing people who practice what they preach, who walk the talk. I think that's just as important in a college setting as in a high school setting. Heck, I think that's important in any sort of leadership position. Not that most people live up to it, but still.

[quote]It's implemented at FUS...although there are some rough patches.[/quote]

really? how so? :huh:

how about implentation on the high school level? because i just can't see dioceses firing lots of people, even tho that seemingly is the only way.

Edited by kateri05

[quote]i completely agree in theory. but what about my example of a great teacher who got married when his wife was a few months pregnant? this wasn't an issue of a string of immoral decisions/situations, but simply a mistake. how do you handle that?[/quote]

I believe that in that circumstance, because he was not following the direction of Catholicism and committing a mortal sin, he should be reprimanded if not completely terminated.

How can one uphold Catholic teaching to students if he is not willing to do it for himself?

That is hypcritical and most Catholic institutions have a morality clause inserted into the contracts....so it is within the realm of possiblity that this could cost him his job, in your example.

Actually, I know of many circumstances where this was the case, in reality.

yea but... could he then go teach somewhere else where they (the students) didn't know?

i agree with you, Cam, honestly. but how do you factor mercy into it? cuz i've committed lots of mortal sins, too, what teacher hasn't?

it just doesn't seem to be that cut and dry to me, even tho i want it to be.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Mar 13 2006, 02:07 PM']Actually, I know of many circumstances where this was the case, in reality.
[right][snapback]910395[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, the Christian (not Catholic) schools I attended growing up would never have put up with a teacher behaving in this way. Of course, had it happened, parents would have revolted and pulled their kids from the school -- a reaction I'm sure would be the same today at those schools. However, that's in podunk Indiana, not in L.A. ...

yea, to think of it, my husband went to a Baptist school and the parents would NEVER have stood for that. although, also, in central PA not LA :)

maybe it all comes back to the fact that parents expect the schools to teach their kids about God and faith and morals so they dont' DO anything when problems happen. man, what a depressing thought

[quote name='kateri05' date='Mar 13 2006, 02:10 PM']yea but... could he then go teach somewhere else where they (the students) didn't  know?

i agree with you, Cam, honestly.  but how do you factor mercy into it?  cuz i've committed lots of mortal sins, too, what teacher hasn't?

[right][snapback]910396[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think it is that cut and dried. If school employees are held to a higher standard because of their influential position in kids' lives, then they're held to a higher standard. It's not to say they're cut off from mercy, but I think it acknowledges the influence teachers have on students.

well then, i guess it boils down to an enforcement issue.

sigh. great. i guess it'll never be resolved :ohno:

:sadwalk: <goes to join St. Anthony the Hermit >

[quote name='kateri05' date='Mar 13 2006, 02:19 PM']well then, i guess it boils down to an enforcement issue.
sigh.  great.  i guess it'll never be resolved :ohno:
:sadwalk:  <goes to join St. Anthony the Hermit >
[right][snapback]910409[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, the real issue here is what parents want. Schools are increasingly driven by a desire to please their customer base -- parents. (Since kids don't pay the bills).

If parents were en masse convinced that teachers flaunting immoral lifestyles was bad for their kids, and made their views known, you can bet the school would make a change.

I think it's pretty easy to tell when someone is of upstanding character and "made a mistake" and people who don't have regard for the teachings of the Church.

Otherwise, I have to agree with Cam.

I went to an all guys Catholic HS, and most of the teachers were pretty solid, except for this one guy... I just don't see why you'd want to work there if you didn't want to be part of the Catholic identity.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kateri05' date='Mar 13 2006, 02:07 PM']really? how so?  :huh:
[right][snapback]910394[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The professors all have to take an oath of obedience, the mandatum, to the Bishop and to the Magisterium.

There are rough patches because some professors whom I will not name teach things that are, at best, very shaky theology.

However, the catechetics department is solid...every last professor...you have nothing to fear from them.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 13 2006, 11:21 AM']Well, the real issue here is what parents want. Schools are increasingly driven by a desire to please their customer base -- parents. (Since kids don't pay the bills).

If parents were en masse convinced that teachers flaunting immoral lifestyles was bad for their kids, and made their views known, you can bet the school would make a change.
[right][snapback]910411[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

well, according to my diocese, apparently they don't think so. i mean our archdiocesan youth director, as of when i worked for him (aug 04), lived with his partner.

to clarify: i don't think these people are "flaunting" it. there's no [edit] will and grace [/edit] types running around (yet? :( ) but the fact that it is known to exist these immoral lifestyle choices i think is still detrimental to our young people. heck to our every people. if leaders don't walk the talk then who else is gonna? :idontknow:

[EDIT] lol, sorry, didn't know that "qwerty" wasn't allowed, it was just a show title, sorry! :blush:

Edited by kateri05

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 13 2006, 11:23 AM']The professors all have to take an oath of obedience, the mandatum, to the Bishop and to the Magisterium.

There are rough patches because some professors whom I will not name teach things that are, at best, very shaky theology.

However, the catechetics department is solid...every last professor...you have nothing to fear from them.
[right][snapback]910417[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

a) they would never do that here. ok maybe not never, but ... all i can say is... yea right :unsure:

2) i think its still an enforcement issue. how do you make them DO it? well i know how. you remove those who don't. but who's gonna do that? :sadder: i have a shephard who charges for parking at liturgies at the cathedral (thats right, last nite, my husband paid for his rite to continuing conversion. its $5 for those who need to get their rites done :rolleyes: but thats a different thread :P: )

[quote name='kateri05' date='Mar 13 2006, 02:10 PM']yea but... could he then go teach somewhere else where they (the students) didn't  know?

i agree with you, Cam, honestly.  but how do you factor mercy into it?  cuz i've committed lots of mortal sins, too, what teacher hasn't?

[right][snapback]910396[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are repercussions for sin. One of them is that if you break a contract, you will be punished. If that punishment is justified, then it is acceptable.

I recognize that we are all sinful, however committing a sin like the one that you described is not a mistake, it is a calculated risk. Are you assuming that they got pregant on the first try? I don't think so. They are sustained in a relationship that is illicit. And that is the positioning that I am coming from.

That would cost, in a justified way, because it is contrary to Catholic teaching, the job of that one. Why? Precisely because sex outside of marriage, this would be assumed in co-habitation of "partners" (male or female), is incorrect and cannot be tolerated or condoned by the Church or her teachers.