An Old School Catholic Message Board

Debate with me!

Firsttorun

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:14 PM']What he means is that we're both evangelical (in that we spread the Gospel and therefore the term applies to us) and Catholic (in that we're Catholics).

You are Evangelical.  It's a big-E/little-e thing.
[right][snapback]909198[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How about this....I'm PRESBYTERIAN (and I can't even spell my own denomination correctly)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:11 PM']Um...I have a request....could you please use smaller words...it's not fair if you win only because I don't understand you
[right][snapback]909190[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, I'm able to use smaller words. I had a very hard time understanding the big ones myself once. :)

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:15 PM']Sorry, let's try to break it down some more. Think of it as if we look in a dictionary, like if we were to look up the words "evangelical" and "Christian".

Catholics would completely fall within both definitions. We are both "Christian" and "evangelical". :)

Now, you said in another thread that you are not a Catholic, but an "Evangelical Christian". To us, that means you belong to a group of people that call themselves "Evangelical Christians", not "Catholics".

So to put it another way, you and me, we are both 'evangelical' - we like to spread the Gospel, and 'Christians' - we are both disciples of Jesus Christ. Simply put, I'm Catholic, and you are not Catholic.
[right][snapback]909201[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you for the explanation

Brother Adam

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:15 PM']How about this....I'm PRESBYTERIAN (and I can't even spell my own denomination correctly)
[right][snapback]909203[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There we go. :)

You're Presbyterian, I'm Catholic, but we are both evangelical and Christian. lol

Edited by Brother Adam

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:15 PM']How about this....I'm PRESBYTERIAN (and I can't even spell my own denomination correctly)
[right][snapback]909203[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
My uncle's a Presbyterian. :)

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:17 PM']There we go. :)

You're Presbyterian, I'm Catholic, but we are both evangelical and Christian. lol
[right][snapback]909206[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

But not Evangelical Christians...got it

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:10 PM']BTW, I suggest that we go one at a time with this.  Too many people at once can be confusing for both parties.
[right][snapback]909189[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
good idea

i wanna play too

the question is who gets to go first?

firsttorun

please decide. since it's your thread

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:15 PM']Let us move past this point and on to actual discussion.
[right][snapback]909202[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree. We'll let you pick a topic, Firsttorun. :)

Would it be okay to get a first name or initials or something we can call you by, besides a screenname? They're a bit annoying at times.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:19 PM']But not Evangelical Christians...got it
[right][snapback]909208[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Lol. It's okay. I was a Fundamentalist Baptist when I first came here several years ago. I got confused pretty easily too. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Brother Adam

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:25 PM, Open Mic Forum, "I feel dense"']Lets see...praying to the saints....those added books of the Bible (forget what they are called..I think it starts with and A).....
[right][snapback]909218[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In response to this quote I took from her in Open Mic, I suggest one of these two topics.

Asking people in Heaven to pray for us is like asking people on earth to pray for us, except that their prayers are more effective because they're perfectly in union with God's will.

Edited by Maria

Myles Domini

I have no doubt that Brother Adam can handle this debate single handedly and having reasoned himself into the Church from an 'evangelical' position he is probably better qualified than I. But like Paphnutius I think I'll hang around too. See what I can contribute... :cool: