An Old School Catholic Message Board

Debate with me!

Firsttorun

Brother Adam

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:55 PM']Evangelical Christian....and Cathloic....explain to me.....HOW THE HECK DOES THAT WORK??!???!???!!!!
[right][snapback]909169[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:)

Being Catholic means being a Christian, its in the very definition of the word. As Catholics we are members of "The Way" (Acts 24:18). The word Catholic does mean in a sense 'universal', but more specifically we belong to the Church founded by Jesus Christ (we can trace our founding back 2000 years), we are Christians. We are distintively Catholic because we are not "non-Catholic" we don't belong to any heresy or sect that is apart from the Church of Jesus Christ, the fullness of the faith. We are lead into all truth (John 16:13) by the guarentee of the Holy Spirit. Catholics are also called to be evangelical. We are commissioned by our Savior Jesus Christ to spread the Gospel, the Good News of what He has done for us through his life and his suffering, death, and resurrection (the "Paschal Mystery").

So you see, the definitions of words matter. We do not belong to the sect of people such as yourself who call themselves, as a denomination "Evangelical Christians" that follow a certian set of doctrines that were formed by certian "Reformers".

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:04 PM']:)

Being Catholic means being a Christian, its in the very definition of the word. As Catholics we are members of "The Way" (Acts 24:18). The word Catholic does mean in a sense 'universal', but more specifically we belong to the Church founded by Jesus Christ (we can trace our founding back 2000 years), we are Christians. We are distintively Catholic because we are not "non-Catholic" we don't belong to any heresy or sect that is apart from the Church of Jesus Christ, the fullness of the faith. We are lead into all truth (John 16:13) by the guarentee of the Holy Spirit. Catholics are also called to be evangelical. We are commissioned by our Savior Jesus Christ to spread the Gospel, the Good News of what He has done for us through his life and his suffering, death, and resurrection (the "Paschal Mystery").

So you see, the definitions of words matter. We do not belong to the sect of people such as yourself who call themselves, as a denomination "Evangelical Christians" that follow a certian set of doctrines that were formed by certian "Reformers".
[right][snapback]909178[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Problem with what you just said is that the Evangelical church believes differently from the Catholic church...and so you can't be both without being a hypocrit

Brother Adam

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:06 PM']Problem with what you just said is that the Evangelical church believes differently from the Catholic church...and so you can't be both without being a hypocrit
[right][snapback]909180[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, I defined the parameters for being both an 'evangelical' and 'Christian' and how it differs from the Protestant sect "evangelical christianity". One can be both evangelical, and Christian without belonging to your Protestant group.

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='philothea' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:04 PM']:rolleyes:

Nothing makes you guys happier than an Evangelical willing to debate!  :hehe:
[right][snapback]909179[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]And have a chance to bring someone closer to the Truth? Of course!

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:04 PM']Sure you can debate too...
So you are saying a 7 year age difference is no big deal?
[right][snapback]909177[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Why would it be if you are using Christ's own words and points?

Thy Geekdom Come

BTW, I suggest that we go one at a time with this. Too many people at once can be confusing for both parties.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:09 PM']No, I defined the parameters for being both an 'evangelical' and 'Christian' and how it differs from the Protestant sect "evangelical christianity". One can be both evangelical, and Christian without belonging to your Protestant group.
[right][snapback]909185[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Um...I have a request....could you please use smaller words...it's not fair if you win only because I don't understand you

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:09 PM']No, I defined the parameters for being both an 'evangelical' and 'Christian' and how it differs from the Protestant sect "evangelical christianity". One can be both evangelical, and Christian without belonging to your Protestant group.
[right][snapback]909185[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Indeed. All Christian are called to be evangelical for that is a part of the Church's vocation CCC:[quote]863 The whole Church is apostolic, in that she remains, through the successors of St. Peter and the other apostles, in communion of faith and life with her origin: and in that she is "sent out" into the whole world. All members of the Church share in this mission, though in various ways. "The Christian vocation is, of its nature, a vocation to the apostolate as well." Indeed, we call an apostolate "every activity of the Mystical Body" that aims "to spread the Kingdom of Christ over all the earth."[/quote]

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:09 PM']Why would it be if you are using Christ's own words and points?
[right][snapback]909188[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Because the older you are the more advantages you have because you've been along longer, and have had more time for indep study

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:10 PM']BTW, I suggest that we go one at a time with this.  Too many people at once can be confusing for both parties.
[right][snapback]909189[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Point well taken. I defer to you.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:11 PM']Um...I have a request....could you please use smaller words...it's not fair if you win only because I don't understand you
[right][snapback]909190[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What he means is that we're both evangelical (in that we spread the Gospel and therefore the term applies to us) and Catholic (in that we're Catholics).

You are Evangelical. It's a big-E/little-e thing.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:10 PM']BTW, I suggest that we go one at a time with this.  Too many people at once can be confusing for both parties.
[right][snapback]909189[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And plus it confuses me...being that I'm the only one here depating from my view point of things

Brother Adam

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:11 PM']Um...I have a request....could you please use smaller words...it's not fair if you win only because I don't understand you
[right][snapback]909190[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sorry, let's try to break it down some more. Think of it as if we look in a dictionary, like if we were to look up the words "evangelical" and "Christian".

Catholics would completely fall within both definitions. We are both "Christian" and "evangelical". :)

Now, you said in another thread that you are not a Catholic, but an "Evangelical Christian". To us, that means you belong to a group of people that call themselves "Evangelical Christians", not "Catholics".

So to put it another way, you and me, we are both 'evangelical' - we like to spread the Gospel, and 'Christians' - we are both disciples of Jesus Christ. Simply put, I'm Catholic, and you are not Catholic.

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:13 PM']Because the older you are the more advantages you have because you've been along longer, and have had more time for indep study
[right][snapback]909195[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Let us move past this point and on to actual discussion.