An Old School Catholic Message Board

Debate with me!

Firsttorun

I'm an evangelical Christian...(who, might I add, can't spell)....And I really really really really want to debate Catholicism (pardon if I'm not being totally "polictally correct") opposed to Evangelicalism....So yea....

brendan1104

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:34 PM']I'm an evangelical Christian...(who, might I add, can't spell)....And I really really really really want to debate Catholicism (pardon if I'm not being totally "polictally correct") opposed to Evangelicalism....So yea....
[right][snapback]909146[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Good luck dude. Cam, Brother Adam, and Raphael will just smash you to bits and have you received by this year's Easter Vigil.

We're praying for you.

Remember: come home to Rome.

Thy Geekdom Come

I won't smash you to bits as Brendan says...I rarely really debate...I just give my input when I think it may be helpful and then leave again.

I'm not even ranked as "Church Militant."

However, seeing as it's my spring break, I'll entertain a debate, but I don't know everything about your beliefs in particular enough to decide a topic. Fill me in a little...what's your beef with Catholicism?

Oh, and I'd personally much rather explain a Catholic teaching and let you explain your side, so that we can establish a common ground first (it is foolish to debate religion starting from what is different...all religious dialogue should be focused on the love of God, and therefore, it is wiser to understand one another first).

Oh...I don't mind being "smashed to bits"....of course...that's never happened to me before...but if it does it's because you, I do believe, probably have the advantage

Edited by Firsttorun

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:43 PM']Oh...I don't mind being "smashed to bits"....of course...that's never happened to me before...but if it does it's because you I do believe probably have the advantage
[right][snapback]909155[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Please see my post above...I won't smash you.

Oh, and I have no advantage, at least not one you would acknowledge (to acknowledge that I had the advantage of the fullness of the faith would defeat the purpose of arguing). I can't edit your posts and neither will anyone else, unless you break the rules, which, I assure you, should not affect a debate between a Catholic and an evangelical.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:46 PM']Please see my post above...I won't smash you.

Oh, and I have no advantage, at least not one you would acknowledge (to acknowledge that I had the advantage of the fullness of the faith would defeat the purpose of arguing).  I can't edit your posts and neither will anyone else, unless you break the rules, which, I assure you, should not affect a debate between a Catholic and an evangelical.
[right][snapback]909159[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How old are you?

Brother Adam

Welcome to phatmass. I'm an evangelical Christian as well who happens to be Catholic. You will find that many times the meanings of words will get in the way, so patience is a must. I hope you will find your time among us to be a blessing. Debate is fine, even for the sake of debate, if that is what you desire, I hope though that as we discuss the Scriptures and our faiths, you will also draw closer to our Lord Jesus Christ.

+Peace+

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:35 PM']Good luck dude. Cam, Brother Adam, and Raphael will just smash you to bits and have you received by this year's Easter Vigil.

We're praying for you.

Remember: come home to Rome.
[right][snapback]909148[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

By the way, I'm a dudess

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:48 PM']How old are you?
[right][snapback]909160[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm 21.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:53 PM']Welcome to phatmass. I'm an evangelical Christian as well who happens to be Catholic. You will find that many times the meanings of words will get in the way, so patience is a must. I hope you will find your time among us to be a blessing. Debate is fine, even for the sake of debate, if that is what you desire, I hope though that as we discuss the Scriptures and our faiths, you will also draw closer to our Lord Jesus Christ.

+Peace+
[right][snapback]909165[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Evangelical Christian....and Cathloic....explain to me.....HOW THE HECK DOES THAT WORK??!???!???!!!!

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 11 2006, 09:54 PM']I'm 21.
[right][snapback]909167[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

See?...you DO have a big advantage

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Firsttorun' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:57 PM']See?...you DO have a big advantage
[right][snapback]909172[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol: That's no advantage. Believe me, there are many stupid 21 year-olds.

Let's put it this way...if Catholicism is correct, the Church founded by Christ, then you would want to belong to it. My "advantage" would serve you by bringing you closer to Christ. If Catholicism is wrong (which I say is incorrect), then my "advantage" will mean nothing, because Christ will prove me wrong in the course of the debate...His truth will overpower my falsity.

Either way, the advantage is nullified. The reason is that it's not about the people debating, it's about the subject of the debate.

1) Welcome to Phatmass. I hope you enjoy your stay.

2) Age is hardly an advantage.

3) Can I play too?! :drool:

Edited by Paphnutius