An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion as a human right?

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

UN Campaign Underway to Ensure Abortion Internationally Recognized as Human Right

By Gudrun Schultz

NEW YORK, United States, March 8, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – There is a new desperation at the UN to secure international recognition of abortion as a human right, as abortion advocates increasingly anticipate that Roe vs. Wade will be overturned in the United States, says Dr. Janice Shaw Crouse of Concerned Women of America.

Dr. Crouse is reporting on the 50th Commission on the Status of Women, held at the U.N. headquarters in New York, February 27 to March 10.

Writing for The Beverly LaHaye Institute, CWA’s think tank, Dr. Crouse said abortion advocates with the Commission are resorting to complex language games in an attempt to push through policy that would protect abortion rights. In one instance, the definition of “fertility regulation,” a term used to refer to reproductive health issues, was redefined by the World Health Organization to include “interrupting unwanted pregnancies”—in other words, abortion.

She pointed out that in the material prepared by the Commission to address the health concerns of women internationally, the drive to enshrine abortion as a human right has taken over all considerations of authentic issues surrounding women’s health.

“Every single paragraph in the section on health is about reproductive health. Further…reproductive health is separated from maternal and child health. In fact, there is a distinct hostility toward public health that focuses on maternal and child health. One would think that the only health problems women face concern reproduction.”

Dr. Crouse said the U.N. Commission makes absolutely no mention of the top ten diseases that kill women worldwide, and even fails to address basic health issues such as malaria, tuberculosis, measles and diarrhoea, many of which are caused by the lack of essential services.

“One would think these basic health necessities would be the top priorities in advancing women’s health, well-being and development. Yet, the health section of the document from the U.N. Commission on the Status of Women mentions none of the diseases that cause so many tragic deaths. Instead, the document mentions only reproductive health (meaning abortion.)”

“These meetings are totally predictable—now more than ever—in that it all comes down to abortion, all the time, every time, without fail, regardless of the announced agenda.”

Read Dr. Crouse’ full report here:
[url="http://www.cwfa.org/articles/10264/BLI/nation/index.htm"]http://www.cwfa.org/articles/10264/BLI/nation/index.htm[/url]

This is just another reason why I hate the UN.

If abortion is a human right, then rape is also. Replace "abortion" with "rape" in every arguement used for abortion "rights".

[quote]SHOULD RAPE BE A MATTER OF CHOICE?
by Thaddee Renault

Using the arguments politicians so often use to justify their unwillingness to legislate and criminalize abortion, one would be led to think so. The popular expression is to say that "I am personally opposed to abortion", but that "I shouldn’t impose my morality or beliefs on others." Looking at this stand from another point of view, I could just as reasonably state that "I am personally opposed to RAPE sweeping this country and would not participate in such an act, but I have no right to impose my morality on others; rather the RAPIST should have the right to choose, and this decision should be made between the RAPIST and his attorney." And I could go on to say that those fanatical anti-RAPE groups are using emotional pictures of aborted fetuses to dramatize their anti-choice position. Most of them, you see, attend churches which hold similar views. That makes this a religious issue and that’s a clear violation of separation of church and state. Also making RAPE illegal won’t stop all of the incidents, it will only make criminals out of the RAPISTS. Therefore, the only alternative is legalization. That’s why I support RAPE on demand. After all you can’t legislate morality. Furthermore, during an election year, we must vote for those pro-choice politicians who endorse permissive RAPE laws. With liberalization, RAPE will become quick and efficient, performed out in the open, under ideal conditions. Do we want to ever return to the days of back-alley rape? Gimme a break!

Evidently, this silly rationalization of rape is farfetched. But it serves to illustrate the illogical and incredibly stupid attitude of our lawmakers where the regulation of pre-natal infanticide is concerned. In those rare instances where pregnancy results from rape intercourse, society singles out the innocent unborn child for execution and misplaces on the fetus the anger which should be more appropriately directed towards the rapist who committed the monstrous crime. In most cases, the rape victim who has been aborted is then abandoned, as if her need for care ended with the death of her child. Do we punish other criminals by killing their children? Can a child innocent of any crime be attacked and killed in a most painful fashion with the attacker completely safe from being prosecuted? Isn`t it a twisted logic that would kill an innocent unborn baby for the sick behaviour of his or her father? It is the assailant who should be punished, not the innocent baby. Let’s keep the focus on the victim, the baby who is being killed. In Canada over 100,000 babies are aborted each year and less than 1% of these abortions are done because of rape and incest. Those who promote abortion rarely talk about the remaining 99%. The life taken in an abortion belongs only to the baby, not to the mother or anyone else. No person has the right to talk of compromising, using the baby’s life.

More writings can be found at [url="http://www.knightsite.com/kc9496/unborn.htm"]http://www.knightsite.com/kc9496/unborn.htm[/url][/quote]

*grins wryly* yeah . . . rape, murder . . . there really isn't all that huge a difference when you start to think about it. Both cases remove free will from another human being. Both cases cause harm to the person that doesn't have a choice. Although i think abortion is slightly more serious than rape because the rape victim eventually regains free will. Both are absolutely horrible.

[quote name='MagiDragon' date='Mar 9 2006, 12:49 PM']*grins wryly* yeah . . . rape, murder . . . there really isn't all that huge a difference when you start to think about it.  Both cases remove free will from another human being.  Both cases cause harm to the person that doesn't have a choice.  Although i think abortion is slightly more serious than rape because the rape victim eventually regains free will.  Both are absolutely horrible.
[right][snapback]907267[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I totally agree that abortion is far worse than rape, but rape should put it in perspective for most baby killers.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 9 2006, 11:06 AM']I totally agree that abortion is far worse than rape, but rape should put it in perspective for most baby killers.
[right][snapback]907274[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
*nods* yeah, those people really don't have any idea how serious abortion is, and they would almost all consider rape to be the pinacle of depravity.

photosynthesis

[quote name='MagiDragon' date='Mar 9 2006, 12:49 PM']*grins wryly* yeah . . . rape, murder . . . there really isn't all that huge a difference when you start to think about it.  Both cases remove free will from another human being.  Both cases cause harm to the person that doesn't have a choice.  Although i think abortion is slightly more serious than rape because the rape victim eventually regains free will.  Both are absolutely horrible.
[right][snapback]907267[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
rape makes people spend their whole lives wishing they were dead, though.

sometimes, if a person is threatened with murder as they are being raped, the person often wishes they never survived.

toledo_jesus

Ah, the UN. I didn't truly despise it until I worked a Model UN conference this past month. This is just icing on the cake.

Craftygrl06

You know it's sad but a lot of people believe that abortion is a RIGHT....when did this happen, seriously...oh uhhh"life, liberty, and the pursuit of an abortion," that's right I forgot.....

Recently I almost past out when a close friend had this to say in a conversation about abortion as a states right issue: "But what if you need an abortion and you live in a state that doesn't allow it. What if you don't have enough money to move to a supporting state."

Oh dear, I don't believe any of our founding fathers intended our GOD GIVEN rights to include the right to an abortion.

I feel so much like John stossel right now but I have to say this......GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

Craftygrl06

good question, Dave, I think first I shall break their resolve to distroy human life....then for fun I will break the law, and possibly a bone

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Mar 9 2006, 05:19 PM']rape makes people spend their whole lives wishing they were dead, though.

sometimes, if a person is threatened with murder as they are being raped, the person often wishes they never survived.
[right][snapback]907478[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Rape is a horrible crime. A cousin of mine was raped. Once it's over, they can heal with Christ. I've seen it happen. If something is out of our control, then we have no reason to wish ourselves dead, this is a sin against hope.

Those people who do not have God, I could believe that they might wish themselves dead.

During hard times that our out of our control, we have two choices... turn to God and be healed, or rely on ourselves and do greater damage....

[quote]http://www.archden.org/dcr/archive/20010801/2001080109ln.htm

[b]Crisis pregnancy led woman to deeper faith [/b]
Denver woman first served by Sisters of Life in N.Y.
By Alwen Bledsoe
In 1996 Jennifer Pipp, a Denver woman, was raped. A few weeks later she discovered she was pregnant.

Then a junior at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio, Pipp's next few weeks were "very difficult," she said. Overwhelmed by grief and anger, she prayed for a miscarriage.

"I know now why people get abortions," she said. "However, it wasn't an option for me because it was an unfortunate thing that happened, but it wasn't the baby's fault. If you're pro-life, either you take a stance or you don't."

Her own mother became pregnant with her before marriage, said Pipp, "and I just kind of always thought, `if she had had an abortion, I wouldn't be here.' So to do that to someone else — I just couldn't do that."

That decision, though, meant nine months of facing the reality of the rape as well as the agony of finding an adoptive family and birthing a child she could not keep.

"You don't know what the future holds," she said. "You don't know how this will all work out. It's a horrible situation to be put in."

Now, five years later, Pipp is telling her story publicly, and though it begins in despair, she tells it as a story of redemption.

"It's very clear to me that even though there's a situation like that that's so horrible, it is amazing what God can bring out of it if you let him," she said.

The first of 30-some "mothers in crisis" to live with the Sisters of Life in New York, Pipp said it was through them that her faith and healing first came alive.

John Cardinal O'Connor founded the Sisters of Life in June 1991 with eight women who took vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience in addition to their charism of protecting the sanctity of life.

Taking the advice of a religious sister living in her dorm, Pipp contacted the Sisters of Life for counsel after she discovered she was pregnant. Instead of counsel, she received an invitation to live with the sisters.

She accepted, and spent the summer trying to come to grips with the rape and pregnancy.

"You have to be totally honest with yourself and with everyone around you and with God," said Pipp. "If there's any of those missing, then somehow the healing process can be hindered.

"That's also the scariest thing — that you have to be honest. It's scary just growing and looking more deeply at the things that have hurt you."

On her way to healing, Pipp passed through extraordinary anger as well as "a real sadness" at the thought of having chosen to birth the baby, "but not being able to be her mom and be there for her day in and day out."

She felt guilty and wondered, "Was it my fault? Could I have prevented it?"

Often she thought, "God, I know that you do everything for the good, but I don't see what good you have in store for me in this situation."

That began to change, though, as the sisters' unconditional love and commitment to prayer began to seep into her.

"They made it possible for her to hope," said Pipp's mother Kathleen Fleming. "It was very grim. She'd kind of had it with men, had it with life in general, and the sisters very sweetly and gently said `You know, it's OK. You'll get through this.'"

More than anything, said Pipp, the sisters helped her to be at peace with her decision to place her baby for adoption as they taught her to pray and "surrender totally to God."

Though Pipp was not required to participate in the sisters' life of prayer, said Sister Lucy Marie Vasile, S.V., she would arise at 5 a.m. and join them for all of their community prayer — about four hours a day.

She began to grow in "a deepening peace and a joy in coming to understand God's love for her and then in being able to give that love to others, (especially) her daughter whom she was carrying in her womb," said Sister Vasile.

"You have to be able to love your daughter deeply to surrender her to another family," she said.

Pipp had found an adoptive Catholic family committed to raising her baby in the faith after she prayed before a traveling image of Our Lady of Guadalupe that had come to Steubenville. "You have to find a family — it's too hard," she prayed.

Soon after, she received a letter from a Catholic family and a picture of the family around that same image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, said Pipp.

The adoptive family was present for the birth in September.

The next day, said Pipp, "I sat in the room (holding the baby) and just cried."

She told the child, "I love you so much that this is what's best for you."

Closure had begun to come in two ways: in the letter she wrote to the baby so she would someday know who her biological mother was, that she loved her, and why she placed her for adoption; and in confronting the rapist who Catholic Charities located when the baby was placed for adoption.

"I'll never forget that day," said Pipp, remembering talking with him on the phone in the Catholic Charities office. "I was really shaky and there was a lot of anger there, too, that I had to work through."

She asked him, "Why did you do this to me? I had plans. I didn't need this obstacle."

He cried through the entire conversation and apologized, she said, and though he couldn't provide her with an answer, the confrontation gave her the freedom to move on.

Perhaps the greatest closure and healing has come in her marriage and in the births of her two sons.

Though she and David Pipp were best friends, she kept her pregnancy a secret until she was in her fourth month.

"It was really one of those things where she was having a hard time with who she was," said David. "When she told me she was pregnant, we were sitting in a restaurant at two or three in the morning. She said, `What's so rough about this,' to quote her, `is that I've been used. I have baggage and no one's going to want to be with me.'"

But, he proved her wrong, and the two began to date that March.

"There was just a real openness there and a real friendship, and he stayed with me the whole time," said Pipp.

The two were married the following July and recently celebrated their fourth anniversary. They have two boys — David, 3, and John, 1.

"Working through this piece by piece has made me a better mom and a better wife because I'm not carrying excess baggage from my past," said Pipp.

Pipp first went public with her story in June when the Sisters of Life awarded her the first-ever John Cardinal O'Connor Award for her courage and personal sacrifice for life.

"It was very humbling," said Pipp, especially because the cardinal had become a father figure for her, often placing his hands on her stomach and praying for the child, or simply bringing a hug when she most needed it.

"He also just accepted me where I was and just loved me, and that was just a freedom to allow me to grow. I can get through this because I'm loved just because of me."

Pipp's story, said Sister Vasile, taught the community "that we can love in the midst of making a very difficult decision which entails suffering. We can do that because God aids us in that, but we also need other people. Christ called us to live with other people in community. We became her family and she became our sister in Christ."

"It was sheer joy to watch God unfold in a young life as courageous as hers," she said. "We were the privileged bystanders of God's miraculous grace working in her life and the lives of those she touched." [/quote]