An Old School Catholic Message Board

The legacy of Fr. Malichi Martin

Desert Walker

Desert Walker

Yes he was an exorcist. I think he was a very active one. He was very highly educated in Church matters, and was really good at Catholic Theology. The only thing that gives one pause about him is his apparent, and I must stress apparent, dissatisfaction with the results of Vatican II. But there is NO evidence that he has ever disobeyed Rome or been disloyal to the Church. He represents a segment of Catholicism that is aware of something that too few Catholics care to think much about anymore: the war between Light and Dark in this world; the war St. Paul speaks about in Scripture.

Desert Walker

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 7 2006, 08:30 AM']Malachi is not worth reading. He's an anti-Catholic Catholic. He spreads lies and rumors, causes scandal. Malachi is the "Art Bell" of the Catholic world.
[right][snapback]905197[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You do realize that the only scandal from which the Church could NEVER recover is the teaching of error.

Myles Domini

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 7 2006, 02:30 PM']Malachi is not worth reading. He's an anti-Catholic Catholic. He spreads lies and rumors, causes scandal. Malachi is the "Art Bell" of the Catholic world.
[right][snapback]905197[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I dont know. Its rare that Cam42 recommends an author who is untrustworthy. Anything to add Cam? :idontknow:

He's on bad terms with the Vatican. He has claimed Satanism happens in the Vatican. I had his book about the Jesuits... he's demented. He supports SSPX. He is an anti-Catholic Catholic conspiracy-monger.

[quote]http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9707drag.asp
Catholic Answers has received a number of inquiries about Malachi Martin in the wake of his five-hour interview on the Art Bell radio talk. The confusion is not surprising. A charming and persuasive conversationalist, Martin makes a good impression on listeners. But his message (satanic rituals in the Vatican, an impending cataclysm, conspiracies galore) seems to appeal to our propensity to expect the worst—a tendency that hardly needs reinforcing these days.

An ex-Jesuit, Martin has long claimed for himself the status of Vatican insider. In his "exposé" of the Jesuits, for example, he reported verbatim discussions at which he could not have been present—implying that he was in the confidence of the principals. In The Keys of This Blood, he showed the inner thoughts of the Holy Father himself: "Most frighteningly for John Paul, he had come up against the irremovable presence of a malign strength in his own Vatican and in certain bishops’ chanceries. It was what knowledgeable Churchmen called the ‘superforce’" (p. 632).

But his most disturbing charges he has couched as fiction in his novel Windswept House, which "reveals" diabolical forces at work in the very See of Peter. Martin told U.S. News and World Report that the plot of the book is "not very" fictional. A coalition of cardinals, academics, and others who want to remake the Church for secular ends is campaigning to change doctrine and elect the next pope. "It’s not a conspiracy, but it’s deliberate. Conciliarists [those who want to liberalize Church doctrine] and non-globalists think the same way. Neither like the Pope’s policies. They are preparing for the selection of the next pope."

So why not expose them, rather than disguising fact as fiction? "I plan to write a monograph in the fall that names some names," Martin told U.S. News last summer. While awaiting that publication, one can note that Martin is a favorite "quotee" of certain non-Catholics—and not to the greater glory of the Church.

Besides Art Bell’s listeners (who probably think The X-Files is a government cover-up), Martin’s brand of apocalypticism is taken by enemies of the Church as proof of its corruption.

"It is startling to listen to the Jesuit [ sic] author, Malachi Martin, asserting in his book, The Keys Of This Blood, that now ‘the Dove is loose, the Dove is loose,’" declares Grace Baptist Church and Old Paths Ministries in a radio program. "The entire theme of this book is that the drive to the New World Order is a competition between the worldwide forces of Communism, Western Capitalism, and Roman Catholicism. Martin clearly believes that Catholicism will prevail in this struggle because of the intervention of the Virgin Mary. Martin did not specify what he meant by this phrase, ‘the Dove is loose’; clearly, however, he might have been referring to this common Roman depiction of the Virgin Mother. What Martin is saying, then, is that the ancient worship of the Pagan Virgin Mother is now loosed in the world." (A better guess might be the Holy Spirit, but let us press on.)

At McDonald Road Seventh-day Adventist Church, the congregation was likewise incited against Catholicism using Martin’s material: "You remember that big book that Malachi Martin wrote called The Keys of This Blood. . . . We have studied it quite extensively at Southern Adventist University. In this book he says this: ‘[Pope John Paul] is waiting . . . for an event that will fission (split) human history, splitting the immediate past from the oncoming future. It will be an event on public view in the skies, in the oceans, and on the continental landmasses of this planet. It will particularly involve our . . . sun.’ Catholics believe that . . . the Virgin Mary, so called, is telling them and warning them of what is going to be happening. And they say in here, ‘This Warning will be an explosive, global incident of such paralyzing force and magnitude that it is unprecedented in the history of man.’"

Martin is also quoted extensively by televangelist Jack Van Impe and others who find his twin themes of cataclysm and collapse of the Church irresistible. The author himself believes the structure of the Church is moribund. He told Paul Likoudis of The Wanderer: "My book is radical, because it says the organization is spent and can’t go on. That’s the implication of Windswept House."

Although Martin styles himself a Church insider—and talks at length about his career as an exorcist—in fact he was, according to the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life, dispensed from his religious vows in 1965 and has had no priestly faculties since then. Yet he did not correct Bell, who repeatedly addressed him as "Father."

It may be true that the Church needs pruning, that individual Churchmen or whole bureaucracies are unfaithful to the gospel. But the Church is the world’s first and greatest "renewable resource." It would be a shame if orthodox Catholics lost hope because of Martin’s doomsaying. As Fr. Mitch Pacwa has said, "progressives" are spiritual geldings. They make no converts, but we do. Our task is to know, live, and spread our faith, whether the world ends next year or ten thousand years from now. [/quote]

brendan1104

I've heard from credible sources and close friends of his, that he was secretly consecrated a bishop and made a cardinal either by John XXIII or Pius XII, I think it's very possible. He did read the Third Secret of Fatima in the 60's, and he knew quite alot of things that we never will.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 7 2006, 05:23 PM']I've heard from credible sources and close friends of his, that he was secretly consecrated a bishop and made a cardinal either by John XXIII or Pius XII, I think it's very possible. He did read the Third Secret of Fatima in the 60's, and he knew quite alot of things that we never will.
[right][snapback]905622[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I find the whole "secretly consecrated" thing extremely hard to believe. In fact, I do not think it's possible... a whole secret thing, there would be no reason... it's not like he lived where it would cost him his life for doing so. From everything I've read, his writings are worthless. According to him the third secret was "ghastly".

God Bless,
ironmonk

I can't claim to be an expert on Malachi Martin, but from what I've heard of him, he seems very phishy, to say the least.
I wouldn't recommend spending much time pondering his conspiracy theories.
Apparently, since the '70s, he's been predicting that the papacy itself would soon be taken over by the satanic forces supposedly running the Vatican.

brendan1104

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 7 2006, 07:42 PM']I find the whole "secretly consecrated" thing extremely hard to believe. In fact, I do not think it's possible... a whole secret thing, there would be no reason... it's not like he lived where it would cost him his life for doing so. From everything I've read, his writings are worthless. According to him the third secret was "ghastly".

God Bless,
ironmonk
[right][snapback]905776[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Either he did or he was supposed to work in Russia. Do you know how many secret ordinations/consecrations there have been connected with communist Russia?

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 7 2006, 05:23 PM']I've heard from credible sources and close friends of his, that he was secretly consecrated a bishop and made a cardinal either by John XXIII or Pius XII, I think it's very possible. He did read the Third Secret of Fatima in the 60's, and he knew quite alot of things that we never will.
[right][snapback]905622[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_pound: That's rich......

[quote name='Myles' date='Mar 7 2006, 02:08 PM']I dont know. Its rare that Cam42 recommends an author who is untrustworthy. Anything to add Cam?  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]905421[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, not really. His views are orthodox. It was a controversy concocted by "the Jebbies" in order to discredit him, because he was granted dispensation from his "Jebbie" vows.....they didn't take to that much.

Myles Domini

[quote name='Cam42' date='Mar 8 2006, 02:04 AM']No, not really.  His views are orthodox.  It was a controversy concocted by "the Jebbies" in order to discredit him, because he was granted dispensation from his "Jebbie" vows.....they didn't take to that much.
[right][snapback]906024[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well if the Lord and Master of orthodoxy says he's orthodox then I guess I may go out and buy some of these books of his :thumbsup:

Desert Walker

I'm reading Windswept House and the only thing I'm detecting from THAT piece of fine writing is an intense love for Mother Church. But then, I'm not TRYING to find a lot of fault with the guy.

Martin never implies that the Papacy itself will be taken over by satanic forces. In fact Windswept House is an expose on how darn much the Pope is the ONLY final source of truth on planet earth; and how much the enemies of the church know that! Martin seems painfully aware of the power struggle between God and the Devil on this earth and is not afraid to say the battle rages in the Vatican's culture, not just the world's culture.

I bought "Hostage to the Devil", and while I was reading one of the chapters, I just felt like I was reading an allegorical rant on the Mass of Paul VI. Whether it was or it wasn't, I have no idea. But I threw the book away after that.

Edited by Era Might

Interestingly, Father Benedict Groeschel has questioned Martin's claims about exorcism:

[quote]If readers are to believe Martin, Satan was hard at work in New York City in the 1970s. He claims that the possessions and exorcisms described in Hostage are true accounts. Cuneo checks with Catholic experts, including Franciscan Father Benedict Groeschel, the expert Catholic officials turned to in the 1970s and 1980s when they were confronted with the "inexplicable." Groeschel was not aware of anything on the scale Martin portrays. Furthermore Groeschel and others insist that for the mainstream Catholic Church, exorcism was the last resort; earthly explanations were preferred and pursued first.

--[url="http://www.looksmarttrends.com/p/articles/mi_m2843/is_1_27/ai_95501854"](Source Here)[/url][/quote]

Edited by Era Might