An Old School Catholic Message Board

The legacy of Fr. Malichi Martin

Desert Walker

Desert Walker

I don't know when or where this Fr. Martin said this, but I do know that he was a Jesuit who worked in Rome as a professor and a Vatican "beurocrat." He requested release from his religious vows and claims that he was asked by I think Paul VI to be a "special advisor" to whatever man occupied Peter's Chair. As to what exactly he was supposed to advise pope's about I'm unsure. I suspect it was clerical corruption. He spent his last years in the U.S. in New York City and is the author of several books and novels about Catholicism. He has an "official" web site (which I'm having trouble believing was actually made by him), which is clearly radically traditionalist (and poorly designed ta boot).

Anyway, I pulled this quote off of an anti-Catholic, protestant web site which holds him up as a "disillusioned" Catholic priest who decided to "leave the Church." The former detail about his life is definitely true, but I'm not so sure about the latter.

[quote]In 1981 [Fr. Malichi] Martin lambasted the Roman Church as "a church with depopulated seminaries, politico bishops, lipsticked and mini-skirted nuns, bewildered lay people, plus a Vatican that housed Communist moles, clerical financial wizards, career diplomats, Marxist prelates, a brothel, overworked exorcists, hostile bureaucrats, some silent good people, and a hard-core 37 per cent of clerics and people who yearned for the church Paul VI had smothered". By 1997 he had come to the conclusion: "Lucifer, the biggest archangel, the leader of the revolt against God, has a big 'in' with certain Vatican officials."[/quote]

This priest is now deceased but leaves a legacy among the trad segment of the Church, and among extreme fundamentalist protestants that I think needs to be addressed by some of the more mellow minds here on Phatmass.

I have begun reading this guy's novel [i]Windswept House[/i]. It's a novel about the Church in the 20th century based on the actual historical events of that century. It examines the geo-political dynamics of that century and the ways in which the successors of the Apostles involved themselves in them. It also tells tales of clerical corruption and anti-Catholic and pro-Luciferian conspiracies conducted by members of the Roman Catholic clergy from Cardinals to priests. This book is basically about the battle between God and Lucifer for souls and especially about the weak human beings who decide to take a stand on either side. That's the simplest way to describe it.

Anybody else heard of this guy?

[b]edited to say:[/b]

BTW like many controversial people Fr. Malichi Martin contradicted himself in speech and writing. He seems to indicate that he does not approve of Paul VI's instigation of reform in the Church (not that his approval matters that much anyway), but in [b]Windswept House[/b] it is clear in many places that he not only thinks the Council was valid, but is CERTAIN that it was mis-interpreted, mis-represented and frankly not taught properly by most of the clergy in the Church.

Edited by Desert Walker

I've read Windswept House and enjoyed it as a novel. The ending was frustrating but also very appropriate (at least it was when I read it a few years ago).

The 1981 quote you posted is hard to dispute. He did say that and he clearly was in a position to know what he was talking about.

depopulated seminaries - check
politico bishops - check
lipsticked and mini-skirted nuns - check
bewildered lay people - check
communist moles - ?
clerical financial wizards - ?
career diplomats - check
marxist prelates - check
brothel - ?
overworked exorcists - check
hostile bureaucrats - check
some silent good people - check
37% trads - ?

Desert Walker

communist moles - ?
clerical financial wizards - ?

Both claims have been proven accurate. I'll find the sources if you like, but there was at least one cleric in the Vatican who came forward and revealed himself as a spy for the Kremlin during the Cold War period. He wrote a lengthy testimony after his defection which is published by TAN. And recently the Italian government released information about a number of individuals who had placements in the Vatican who were spying for the Kremlin, one of whose primary goals was to gain information critical to the attempt to assassinate John Paul II.

Prior and during WWII, relatives of Pope Pius XII did indeed engage in financial wizardry of the unethical kind. I've heard that they referred to themselves as "Vatican princes" and caused lots of trouble for Pius during the war. I don't know if that stuff still goes on because succeeding popes lifted a heavy hand against that kind of activity. But money has a certain recurring power of human beings that no doubt still infects the Vatican to some degree. It's a bunch of fallen men after all.

The brothel claim is quite dubious in my mind, but can one really discount it entirely in light of the Fall?

Edited by Desert Walker

cmotherofpirl

Why would anything think the Vatican would be exempt from sinners.?
Mr Martin always seemed paranoid to me.

While he was most certainly a controversial figure.....he was a great author.

[u]Windswept House[/u] is a great book. I would also suggest reading [u]The Jesuits[/u] and [u]Hostage to the Devil[/u]. [u]The Keys of Blood[/u] is pretty good too.

Incidentally, the rumors surrounding him are false. He was priest his whole life. He received dispensation from his vows as a Jesuit, except chastity, by Pope Paul VI. He also had permission to celebrate Mass only in private.

Desert Walker

Does anyone who read [u]Windswept House[/u] remember the part about the ritual to enthrone Lucifer in the Vatican? I have to say that was one of the most morbid things I've ever read.

Fr. Martin was asked if that really took place, and he said "yes." My question is why would he lie about something like that if it didn't happen?

In the end it probably isn't important if it happened or not. Men who put faith in that fallen angel will be sorely disapointed. I imagine if Benedict were to find out about it he'd probably say "So the boys are getting into trouble, eh?"

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Mar 7 2006, 09:10 AM']Does anyone who read [u]Windswept House[/u] remember the part about the ritual to enthrone Lucifer in the Vatican?  I have to say that was one of the most morbid things I've ever read.

Fr. Martin was asked if that really took place, and he said "yes."  My question is why would he lie about something like that if it didn't happen?

In the end it probably isn't important if it happened or not.  Men who put faith in that fallen angel will be sorely disapointed.  I imagine if Benedict were to find out about it he'd probably say "So the boys are getting into trouble, eh?"
[right][snapback]905179[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think Mr Martin enjoyed the aura of conspiracy, intrigue and mystery.

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Mar 7 2006, 09:10 AM']Does anyone who read [u]Windswept House[/u] remember the part about the ritual to enthrone Lucifer in the Vatican?  I have to say that was one of the most morbid things I've ever read.

Fr. Martin was asked if that really took place, and he said "yes."  My question is why would he lie about something like that if it didn't happen?

In the end it probably isn't important if it happened or not.  Men who put faith in that fallen angel will be sorely disapointed.  I imagine if Benedict were to find out about it he'd probably say "So the boys are getting into trouble, eh?"
[right][snapback]905179[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If I recall, the book starts with that ritual. It is very disturbing...not for the faint hearted.

If I recall, some of the sinister characters in the book represented real people that Fr. Martin knew or knew of. There is a listing somewhere. I believe the former Archbishop of Milwaukee Weakland, who has since resigned in disgrace, was one of them.

Desert Walker

[quote]I think Mr Martin enjoyed the aura of conspiracy, intrigue and mystery.[/quote]

Of course. It's great fun! Especially when it's true.

:popcorn:

Edited by Desert Walker

It would be much more fun were it not true. I pray that it isn't.

Edited by OLAM Dad

Malachi is not worth reading. He's an anti-Catholic Catholic. He spreads lies and rumors, causes scandal. Malachi is the "Art Bell" of the Catholic world.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 7 2006, 09:30 AM']Malachi is not worth reading. He's an anti-Catholic Catholic. He spreads lies and rumors, causes scandal. Malachi is the "Art Bell" of the Catholic world.
[right][snapback]905197[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm not sure how seriously to take Fr. Martin's work but he clearly was in a position to know a lot more than your average kook radio talk show host would know about alien invasions and the like.

fwiw, I find Art Bell entertaining as well. :)

Desert Walker

The Art Bell show is the most entertaining thing on the radio. It's awesome, and not always untenable. Labeling Fr. Malichi "anti-Catholic" is a bit of stretch. It is necessary for we the laity to hold our clergy accountable for irreligion, heresy and bad management, because clergy who act that way don't hold themselves accountable very often. Vatican II empowered the laity in that way. Some lay people have taken it too far and attempted to userp the teaching authority that only clergy possess. Fr. Malichi, like Fr. Paul Marx of HLI, opened my eyes to the hard fact that not every priest, not every bishop is intent on the salvation of souls. And those who aren't, but have allowed themselves to be corrupted by power or swayed by emotion to the cause of Lucifer, need to be held accountable for the sheep they've led astray. The lay people of the Church need to understand that there are blind shepherds in their midst. We need to pray for them, but we also need to be wary of the influence that Satan might have through them.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 7 2006, 08:30 AM']Malachi is not worth reading. He's an anti-Catholic Catholic. He spreads lies and rumors, causes scandal. Malachi is the "Art Bell" of the Catholic world.
[right][snapback]905197[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Specific examples please to back up your assertions?????