An Old School Catholic Message Board

Independent Chapels

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

I wouldn't think so... Sunday obligation is to attend Mass. Unless you're a priest and saying Mass privately, I don't think it'd count.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Mar 5 2006, 09:27 AM']does an independent Chapel Fufill a sunday Obligation?
[right][snapback]903316[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Only if the attendee is impeded from attending Mass at a church that is in union with Rome (ie. the independent chapel is the only Mass for hundreds of miles).

It is the same situation applied when one must attend an Orthodox Liturgy.

It is never to be accepted as a normative action, only in the gravest of circumstances......

The Mass is not invalid, but it is illicit. All of this assumes that the priest is validly ordained.

I think im going to one next sunday. hopefully. I would go to an indult but there ain't any around where i will be. I might go to an SSPX if i don't go to the independent chapel.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Mar 5 2006, 11:58 AM']I think im going to one next sunday. hopefully. I would go to an indult but there ain't any around where i will be. I might go to an SSPX  if i don't go to the independent chapel.
[right][snapback]903401[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wrong answer. I was not speaking of the indult. [b]You have a right to the Sacraments. However [i]you [u]do not[/u] have a right[/i] to whatever Sacrament you wish to go to[/b]......if there is a Novus Ordo parish available, you cannot simply skip it, and go to an independent chapel because there is no indult parish around.

Sorry....but that is contrary to the Church's understanding of Sacramental theology. And you would be skipping a licit Mass intentionally for a schimatic Mass. That, according to the Church, is unacceptable.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Mar 5 2006, 12:30 PM']does that mean i should not attend an illict Novus Ordo  Mass?
[right][snapback]903417[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, that means you should attend the Mass which is recognized as valid and licit by Rome; not yourself or some person whom you hold in high regard.

Whether you like it or not, the Missa Normativa is the accpeted Mass. Your obligation is to attend that Mass, in order to fulfill your obligation. If you choose to attend an indult, you may do so, but not as a normative action, but rather as an indult to the normative action.

If you skip the normative Mass or the indult Mass, in order to attend an independent/SSPX/Orthodox Mass/Liturgy. That is being disobedient to Rome.

I have a feeling you already know this though, Sam.....please don't be coy.

no i am talking about the Novus Ordo mass. If one is licit and one is not would i have to chose the lict one to attend?

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Mar 5 2006, 12:44 PM']no i am talking about the Novus Ordo mass. If one is licit and one is not would i have to chose the lict one to attend?
[right][snapback]903427[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You would have to go to the accepted Mass. Who is deeming the Mass illicit? You? You don't have any authority to do that. Only the local Ordinary/Pope does.

The Pope has deemed the independent/SSPX/Orthodox to be illicit and only to be allowed in dire need.

You cannot make the determination that you are trying to make. You have no right to call a Mass licit or illicit, unless Rome has deemed it as such. When Rome has dealt it as such, then one can support that decision, as in the case of an independent/SSPX priest. But again, I think that you already know that.

So, NO, you cannot choose which one to go to. You can choose which one best fits your devotional style, however, the validity and/or licitness of the Mass is not in question, just your personal preference.

Also, you must take into account, that parish boundaries still play a part in all of this. You should attend the local parish, unless there is a sufficient reason not to.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Mar 5 2006, 12:54 PM']what about abuses?
[right][snapback]903440[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum #184']Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon or lay member of Christ’s faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law, or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff. It is fitting, however, insofar as possible, that the report or complaint be submitted first to the diocesan Bishop. This is naturally to be done in truth and charity.[/quote]

If you see an abuse, follow what the Church teaches. The local Ordinary then will make a determination. You don't have that authority.

"Let that be a valid Eucharist which is celebrated under the authority of the Bishop." --St. Ignatius of Antioch

[quote name='Era Might' date='Mar 5 2006, 01:09 PM']"Let that be a valid Eucharist which is celebrated under the authority of the Bishop." --St. Ignatius of Antioch
[right][snapback]903456[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding........

Ora et Labora

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Mar 5 2006, 11:28 AM']Great to have Sam back.
[right][snapback]903470[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yep...lol