An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is evil an extreme?

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

is it possible for the devil to tell the truth........some say god cant commit evil, but can the devil commit good? Is the truth always good or is it best, at times, for the truth to not be revealed?

Church Punk

After pondering this, these are some of my thoughts. Lucifer was Gods # 1 angel, thus he was good at one point and could tell the truth. So he has the capacity of telling the truth and doing good. However after his turn to evil and causing war in Heaven and being cast down he has become the father of lies. As Jesus tells us, he was a liar in the beginning.

So that said I think that the devil has capacity to tell the truth in matters, however only uses parts of the truth to confuse us and propagate his lies. I think we see a good example of these mixed messages all around us. We have parts of the truth being portrayed and shown to us but are mix with blasphemy.

Brother Adam

A few 'revealing' books:

The ScrewTape Letters by CS Lewis
An Exorcist Tells His Story by Fr. Amorth
An Exorcist: More Stories by Fr. Amorth

My personal opinion would be that the devil tells half-truths. There will always be some lie of non-truth in anything he says, but there is just enough truth to make it appealing.

It is possible to tell a factual truth, yet be lying.

If the wall is blue, and I tell you the wall is blue in the hopes that you will not believe me and thus believe the wall is not blue; then by telling the truth, I have lied.

I have led you to believe something untrue, even though I used the truth to do it.

Thus, yes, it is possible for the devil to tell the truth; but he cannot intend to tell the turth unless it is to deceive others (aka, to lie).

Makes sense?

Guest JeffCR07

It is impossible for the devil to [i]do[/i] good, for to do good is the same as to (momentarily) possess uprightness of will, or justice. But the devil neither has uprightness of will nor Justice at any point in time after the Fall.

This, however, does not lead us to say that the Devil is pure evil. Though he cannot [i]do[/i] good, the devil will always [i]be[/i] good, insofar as he exists. For all that exists is a creation of God and so is necessarily good.

It is for this reason that the Devil is a house divided against itself. He who seeks to do evil, even absolute evil, will always and forever remain essentially good, and to achieve the absolute purging of all good in a being would result in that being's annihilation - a power only God possesses.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

KnightofChrist

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Mar 3 2006, 09:24 AM']how can satan BE good though?
[right][snapback]902333[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Does not satan still have freewill? Even now he could choose to BE good, though he will not.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Mar 3 2006, 10:24 AM']how can satan BE good though?
[right][snapback]902333[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
He is the creation of God. He was made good and choses evil. A(n) (fallen) angel cannot change their mind. They made a choice outside of time after their creation.

Guest JeffCR07

A few points:

1.) The devil can still "be" good precisely because, as thedude has pointed out, he is now and always will be a creation of God. God cannot create evil, and evil is not a "thing." The devil, and in fact no thing, can "be" evil in the proper sense, because "evil" is not being. Being is good, and "evil" is the lack of a good. So even the Devil, the Prince of Lies, is still "good" insofar as he has the good gift of existence that God has given him.

2.) Satan and all the fallen angels cannot do good. By virtue of their rejection of the justice in which God made them, they deserve no good thing. Thus, whatsoever a fallen angel wills, it wills unjustly. This is true because if the fallen angel were to will an evil, this would be unjust, and if the fallen angel were to will a good, it would necessarily be willing a good that it ought not to have, and so would also be acting unjustly.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

Guest JeffCR07

Anselm is difficult to read without any philosophical background whatsoever. His [i]Prosologion[/i] is short and relatively easy to read. His [i]Monologion[/i] is longer and studies the same subject (the Divine Nature) as the [i]Prosologion[/i], though it does so in a different way.

If you really want to get into deep theology, I suggest reading his [i]De Veritate[/i], [i]De Libertate Arbitrii[/i], and [i]De Casu Diaboli[/i], in that order. The three works were intended to be read one after the other as they compliment and build upon each other.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

Carp!

I started by readin DeCasu, now De La liberte and what is that third one again?!?! No wonder I was confused so often... lol :)

God bless...

Edited by Didacus