An Old School Catholic Message Board

knowledge of salvation

jesussaves

The Gospel is simple. God gives us basic Truth, instead of complicated lies.

[quote]John 6
"He who [i]comes[/i] to Me [i]will not [/i][i]hunger[/i], and he who [i]believes[/i] in Me [i]will never thirst[/i]."[/quote]

Our purpose on earth is simple. What's our purpose while on earth? To spread the Gosple of Christ. Otherwise Christians would be in heaven as we speak.

[quote]Mark 16
And He said unto them, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. "[/quote]

You have heard the Gospel and your purpose. You are now accountable for it. If you were accountable before, you are now twofold.

Edited by jesussaves

Myles Domini

Here's a good one too:

[quote]So Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, [b]unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.[/b] Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live for ever.’--Jn 6:53-58[/quote]

Oh yeah and this:

[quote] ‘Very truly, I tell you, the hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself; and he has given him authority to execute judgement, because he is the Son of Man. Do not be astonished at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and will come out—[b]those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.[/b] Jn 5:25-29[/quote]

Given that this follows on from Jn 5:24 I'd say there's a lot more to faith than you're making out dude. Maybe you should listen to [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/resolve.asp?rafile=jh_36.ra"]Are you saved?[/url] with Scott Hahn and Marcus Grodi? Or [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/resolve.asp?rafile=iq_708.ra"]The Catholic Gospel[/url]?

Edited by Myles

Welcome back JS! How goes things?

You are very right. Christian's are to spread the Good News. I always loved how the Baltimore Catechism described man's purpose: to know, love, serve, and glorify God. Spreading the Gospel satisfies all of the above.

As you said, yourself, one must come to Christ. That involves movement and action.

photosynthesis

[quote name='jesussaves' date='Mar 3 2006, 12:39 AM']The Gospel is simple. God gives us basic Truth, instead of complicated lies.
Our purpose on earth is simple. What's our purpose while on earth? To spread the Gosple of Christ. Otherwise Christians would be in heaven as we speak.
You have heard the Gospel and your purpose. You are now accountable for it. If you were accountable before, you are now twofold.
[right][snapback]902090[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
thanks for the friendly reminder :)

Those tapes are simply fancy footwork convoluting a simple message.

Your first quote has been debunked by my quote. Eating is coming and drinking is beleiving. Look also at the quote after that one, "the words I have spoken are spirit and life".

That quote was a foreshadow of the Sacrafice. People didn't know what He was saying exactly; the Truth of the Sacrafice hadn't been made known at that point. But if they stood strong like the apostles did, they would come to understand His words as I have characterized them. This is applicable to anyone; often God speaks to us, and we don't seem to understand. Buf if we persist even when things don't seem right, things will be made clear.

Edited by jesussaves

[quote name='jesussaves' date='Mar 2 2006, 11:05 PM']Your first quote has been debunked by my quote. Eating is coming and drinking is beleiving. Look also at the quote after that one, "the words I have spoken are spirit and life".
[right][snapback]902104[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Please let us not get into Scripture slinging trying to trump one another with verses. Let us, instead, look at the verses and discuss them.

[quote]Buf if we persist even when things don't seem right, things will be made clear.
[/quote]Such as 2000 years persistance?

photosynthesis

eating is eating, drinking is drinking. "For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink."

MilesChristi

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Mar 3 2006, 01:09 AM']eating is eating, drinking is drinking.  "For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink."
[right][snapback]902108[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth. :)

[quote]The Gospel is simple. God gives us basic Truth, instead of complicated lies.
[/quote]:yes:

[quote]Eating is coming and drinking is beleiving.[/quote]:huh:

If it is simple, then this would mean just what it [quote]saysThose who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. [/quote]
Instead of[quote]Eating is coming and drinking is beleiving[/quote]:no: Not here, because that would be [quote]simply fancy footwork convoluting a simple message[/quote]Indeed.

Edited by Paphnutius

Jesus often spoke in paraples to coax people into understanding. Think about when people understood Him as to be saying that the temple would be destroyed and in three days He'd raise it up. People thought He was talking about the temple literally, but He was referring to Himself. He never bothered correcting those who refused to hang in there.

What would you think if those few Christians who think He was referring to the actual temple told you that you were convoluting a simple message because Jesus "clearly" said he was going to knock it down.

Edited by jesussaves

[quote name='jesussaves' date='Mar 2 2006, 11:15 PM']Jesus often spoke in paraples to coax people into understanding. [/quote]Well first you would have to show that Christ was speaking in a parable here, and secondly I do not think that Christ was speaking in a parable about the temple. Our bodies are temples of the Holy Ghost are they not? Christ was simply speaking about a different temple than everyone thought.

[quote]Well first you would have to show that Christ was speaking in a parable here, and secondly I do not think that Christ was speaking in a parable about the temple. Our bodies are temples of the Holy Ghost are they not? Christ was simply speaking about a different temple than everyone thought.[/quote]

You are superimposing a concept that probably wasn't there then about our bodies being temples. In order to sidestep the fact that he was speaking in a parable, they misunderstood, refused to hang in there, and He didn't correct them.

MilesChristi

[quote name='jesussaves' date='Mar 3 2006, 01:24 AM']You are superimposing a concept that probably wasn't there then about our bodies being temples. .
[right][snapback]902119[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

"Do you not know that [b]your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit[/b], who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

[quote name='jesussaves' date='Mar 2 2006, 11:24 PM']You are superimposing a concept that probably wasn't there then about our bodies being temples. In order to sidestep the fact that he was speaking in a parable, they misunderstood, refused to hang in there, and He didn't correct them.
[right][snapback]902119[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Umm...did Paul not tell us that our bodies are temples? I am pretty sure it can be found here: 1 Cor 6:19. So, yes I am rather sure that concept was at least floating around at that time. John 2:21 even tells us what He was referring to, so yeah some knew that the body was also a temple.

This is detracting from the main point. It was just a poor example that is all.

Edited by Paphnutius

KnightofChrist

What the Bible Says of Salvation...

To be saved, you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31), but the Sacred Scriptures show other things you must also do to be saved.

You must endure to the end. Matthew 10:22, Matthew 24:13, Mark 13:13.

You must accept the Cross (suffering). Matthew 10:38, Matthew 16:24-25, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23, Luke 14:27.

You must be baptized with water. Mark 16:16, John 3:3-5 Titus 3:5, I Peter 3:20-21.

You must be a member in God's true church. Acts 2:47.

You must confess your sins. James 5:16, I John 1:9

You must keep the Commandments of God. Matthew 5:19-20, Matthew 7:21

You must heed the words of St. Peter, the first Pope. Acts 11:13-14, Acts 15:7.

You must eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ. John 6:51-58, I Corinthians 10:16, I Corinthians 11:23-29