An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is this for real?

brendan1104

Fidei Defensor

They are pimping my church. They are replacing all the carpet with marble tiles, purchasing new statues to add to our collection, re-painting all the walls white with gold trim, and painting a beautiful starry sky behind, around and above the altar in the sanctuary. As well, paintings of angels in adoration on the wall behind the altar.

The artist's rendition looks beautiful. It is being re-verted back to its former glory.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Mar 5 2006, 05:33 PM']They are pimping my church.  They are replacing all the carpet with marble tiles, purchasing new statues to add to our collection, re-painting all the walls white with gold trim, and painting a beautiful starry sky behind, around and above the altar in the sanctuary.  As well, paintings of angels in adoration on the wall behind the altar.

The artist's rendition looks beautiful.  It is being re-verted back to its former glory.
[right][snapback]903662[/snapback][/right]
[/quote] Yeah, that makes sense. Pimp your church with extravagancies, rather than giving that money to the poor. >:(

Honestly, I am really confused as to how any Biblical Christian could fail to see that this is wrong.

Hi guys. :)

Edited by ICTHUS

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='Mar 5 2006, 06:51 PM']Yeah, that makes sense. Pimp your church with extravagancies, rather than giving that money to the poor.  >:(

Honestly, I am really confused as to how any Biblical Christian could fail to see that this is wrong.

Hi guys.  :)
[right][snapback]903719[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Have you ever read about the temple that Solomon built? I mean . . . it was truly extravagant! There've been people that have this warp sense of "giving to the poor" and removing things from the churches, but they don't realize that the church is a place for the poor to *have* beautiful things.

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='Mar 5 2006, 07:51 PM']Yeah, that makes sense. Pimp your church with extravagancies, rather than giving that money to the poor.  >:(

Hi guys.  :)
[right][snapback]903719[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
"Now when Jesus was in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came up to him with an alabaster jar of costly perfumed oil, and poured it on his head while he was reclining at table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant and said, 'Why this waste? It could have been sold for much, and the money given to the poor.' Since Jesus knew this, he said to them, 'Why do you make trouble for the woman? She has done a good thing for me. The poor you will always have with you; but you will not always have me.'" -Matt 26:6-11

We make glorious places of worship to worship the Lord's glory. Yes, we also give the poor, clothe the naked, feed the hungry, give shelter to the homeless. But we can't neglect the Lord's house either.

I looked at the rest of the site, and ran some of it through the translator. It actually made me realize some of the stuff I was missing with Lent. I think wandering that Luxembourgian(ish? ese?) site reminded me of why I was supposed to be fasting and, indeed, why I do anything.

The Lord works in mysterious ways, no? :cool: