An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orthodox/Non-Orthodox Communities

Laurentina1975

[quote name='Mona' date='Feb 28 2006, 11:35 PM']I believe she is a benedictine nun who, with the full support of her community, is an 'activist' for women in the priesthood...
[right][snapback]900452[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That is correct. I've read some of her stuff. You've just got to try and acknoweldge her perspective. You don't have to agree with it. She often writes for the National Catholic Reporter. Just google her and some articles will pop up for sure!

[quote name='ruso' date='Feb 28 2006, 10:28 PM']I do not see the things of that way, surely the modern congregations have more vocations that the traditionals, the jesuits receive more people that any other institute.
To put an example, the Dominic sisters in USA, exist 4 or 5 congregations traditionals and more of 20 that they are not it.
The number of vocations, this even one between both groups, mainly by
the Nahsville and Mary mother of  the eucaristia, the congregations of greater growth in the USA.
What happens, is that the number of traditional communities is smaller,
without I animate to joke, the traditional vocations but have less communities to distribute.
Nevertheless the number of abandonments is very  elevated in all,
traditionals or no. Prayers for the vocations.
[right][snapback]900444[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's not necessarily true. Some of the modern congregations haven't had a vocation in years. Even though there are fewer traditional communities, following your example of the Dominicans, Nashville and Ann Arbor are beating out the other modern Dominican communities even when you factor in the number of communities.
For the Jesuits, the guys who are joining them now, in so far as i know them (I live near one of the three house of studies in the U.S.) are not joining the Jesuits because they are "modern" but because of the original charism of the order, which was traditional. They're more interested in dying for Christ than being arrested to close the School of the Americas.

Joan Chittister is a heterodox Benedictine who stands firmly opposed to the Church in just about every way, not just in regards to priestesses.

I thought this was hilarious. [url="http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/archives/006416.php"]http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/...ives/006416.php[/url]

[quote]The book also contains an appendix of the 7 habits of highly ineffective religious orders and what not to wear.

The Benedictine Sisters of Erie. These sisters specialize in heterodox creation-centered spirituality and whose charism is closely related to the Democratic Party. You might know there most famous member Sister Joan Chittister, OSB. It appears that there only consistent religious garb is gray hair and floppy name tags.

This appendix will be greatly useful for historians as these orders become historical footnotes.[/quote]

Edited by OLAM Dad

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='shortnun' date='Feb 28 2006, 11:39 PM']That is correct. I've read some of her stuff. You've just got to try and acknoweldge her perspective. You don't have to agree with it. She often writes for the National Catholic Reporter. Just google her and some articles will pop up for sure!
[right][snapback]900455[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Her perspective puts her outside the teachings and obedience of the Catholic Church.
She and her community should be ashamed of themselves.

Laurentina1975

[quote name='BurkeFan' date='Mar 1 2006, 04:54 AM']That's not necessarily true. Some of the modern congregations haven't had a vocation in years. Even though there are fewer traditional communities, following your example of the Dominicans, Nashville and Ann Arbor are beating out  the other modern Dominican communities even when you factor in the number of communities.
For the Jesuits, the guys who are joining them now, in so far as i know them (I live near one of the three house of studies in the U.S.) are not joining the Jesuits because they are "modern" but because of the original charism of the order, which was traditional. They're more interested in dying for Christ than being arrested to close the School of the Americas.
[right][snapback]900576[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks Burke fan, I agree.

What "modern" communities are receiving [b]many[/b] vocations?

What I am referring to as "modern" are communities that live out in the world on their own, in apartments with one or two people and are not traditional.

Like on the flip side, for example, The Nashville Dominicans are being blessed with a huge number of vocations and they are traditional, live in strong commmunity and have a complete loyalty to the Holy Father. This is just one example of a women's community that is receiving many vocations. I am not sure about men's communities.

The Jesuits I know are very traditional and yes, they are receiving many vocations, but are traditional (at least the ones here in Chicago).

As for Joan Chittister, I wouldn't waste my time reading....just my own personal opinion (to which I am entitled).

Perhaps i has not explained to me well, the english is not my idiom.
I have never wanted to divide the religius vocations, only are what gives God and who decide to follow it makes to serve to God and its church, it gives me equal in Jesuits, Dominics,F. Capuchins or other order, although I like special by these three.

I dont kown some of those communities did not have vocations, the situation in USA is worse of which it thought, in Spain the reduction of religius people continues being high, I have registered my daughter of 3 years in a school of dominic sisters, but hardly there are sisters to give class.
In Spain , we have the mayor number of clausure monastics, 2/3 of the new girls that join are foreigners, the men's communities is a something better, but the disappearance of monasteries seems safe.
Nevertheless the quality of the new vocations is better, it gives equal the community that is united.