An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orthodox/Non-Orthodox Communities

Laurentina1975

Laurentina1975

Okay...what exactly is an orthodox community versus a non orthodox community? I'm partially clueless (somewhat).

Also, what is your personal view?

Just trying to get everyone's input.

;)

There is the Orthodox religion- which is in schism- but what we're referring to here when say this or that community is orthodox is whether or not they hold to Church teachings. A Catholic may be liberal or conservative or whatever but they MUST be orthodox. There are lots of whacky religious communities out there advocating women in the priesthood, reproductive 'rights', false teachings on the Eucharist, etc. They would be considered unorthodox.

Edited by Mona

Hello;
To that you talk about exactly?, if they use habits or no, traditional or modern liturgies, if they follow the lessons of the church.
The definition of orthodox is very personnel today in day.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='ruso' date='Feb 28 2006, 05:28 PM']Hello;
To that you talk about exactly?, if they use habits or no, traditional or modern liturgies, if they follow the lessons of the church.
The definition of orthodox is very personnel today in day.
[right][snapback]900255[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Orthodoxy is [b]not[/b] personal. Being orthodox is the antithesis of personal, it is submitting to the will of the Christ and His church regardless of what one 'feels' personally.

Laurentina1975

I guess I just like to get everyones input. One time when I was on a vocation/discernment coffee thing, there was this one Sister who was really advocating for women to be able to be Priests. I was kind of appauled by that and never went back to the group.

It is amazing at how some communities have really changed over the years, like with either change or modification in habit, getting arrested at peace and justice rallies, living outside of community in apartments with one or two people or alone, etc. And I think it's all in like everyone's own opinion (we are all entitled), but I guess it's all in what you feel fits you and these things do not appeal to me. Silent prayer in protest (like in front of the abortion clinic is something I would consider to be o.k.), just as long as it doesn't involve getting arrested. (peaceful and prayerful protest)

What appeals to me [i]is [/i]community (sincere/genuine community, living together not apart), daily Eucharist and Eucharistic adoration, deep reverence for our Holy Father and a great respect for Priests and other religious.

I guess that is my definition of orthodox.

:idontknow:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Feb 28 2006, 07:13 PM']I guess I just like to get everyones input.  One time when I was on a vocation/discernment coffee thing, there was this one Sister who was really advocating for women to be able to be Priests.  I was kind of appauled by that and never went back to the group.

It is amazing at how some communities have really changed over the years, like with either change or modification in habit, getting arrested at peace and justice rallies, living outside of community in apartments with one or two people or alone, etc.  And I think it's all in like everyone's own opinion (we are all entitled), but I guess it's all in what you feel fits you and these things do not appeal to me.  Silent prayer in protest (like in front of the abortion clinic is something I would consider to be o.k.), just as long as it doesn't involve getting arrested.  (peaceful and prayerful protest)

What appeals to me [i]is [/i]community (sincere/genuine community, living together not apart), daily Eucharist and Eucharistic adoration, deep reverence for our Holy Father and a great respect for Priests and other religious.

[right][snapback]900284[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
sounds like a good definition to me!
orthodox literally means "right thought" or something along those lines... I don't have me notes here with me at the moment, but it goes soemthing like that...

I think you have a very good definition of what being orthodox is (and also provided some examples of some unorthodox stuff...).

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Mar 1 2006, 02:13 AM']I guess I just like to get everyones input.  One time when I was on a vocation/discernment coffee thing, there was this one Sister who was really advocating for women to be able to be Priests.  I was kind of appauled by that and never went back to the group.

It is amazing at how some communities have really changed over the years, like with either change or modification in habit, getting arrested at peace and justice rallies, living outside of community in apartments with one or two people or alone, etc.  And I think it's all in like everyone's own opinion (we are all entitled), but I guess it's all in what you feel fits you and these things do not appeal to me.  Silent prayer in protest (like in front of the abortion clinic is something I would consider to be o.k.), just as long as it doesn't involve getting arrested.  (peaceful and prayerful protest)

[/quote]
We agreed in which must be a religious community, with the mistaken modernism, the back occurred to many traditions and the result has not been good.
The life must be communitarian, for that they dont live in community , there are other charismas like virgins consecrated for example. [url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/"]http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/[/url].
Also I believe that habits are due to take, although it must decide each congregation, my cousin is friar and master of novices, their congregation does not take habits and he is not less religious for that reason, mainly because they have not left the sacraments.
I know sisters who use modified habits, and they are simply awesome,
daughters of the charity p.e., during my stay in the USA know to Siervas de los Corazones Traspasados de Jesús y María [url="http://www.corazones.org/"]http://www.corazones.org/[/url] and Marian sisters [url="http://www.mariansisters.org/"]http://www.mariansisters.org/[/url], both use modified habits but one sees that they are religius sisters.
To my do not seem to me bad Either that they take part in other subjects
(death penalty, human rights), while they do it of pacific way, collaborating with other organizations like amnistia international p.e., or
movements pro-life.
unfortunately, also I have known institutes considered very orthodox,
that other religious groups did not respect.

I think that perhaps what ruso meant about it being personal is that the definition of orthodox is sometimes a little confused. There is clearly the Greek orthodox church which isn't what we mean here. It's like the confusion over what traditional means...but that's another discussion somewhere else.

For me, I use orthodox to mean being faithful to the teachings of the Magisterium & loyal to the Pope. So orthodox orders would be ones that abide by that. So clearly excluded would be orders who advocate or even support women as priests & communities in schism with the Church (as defined by the Vatican).

After that, I think it has some to do with the inclination God places in our hearts in terms of what we're drawn to in an order. So even though there are orders that don't wear habits, they are recognized by the Vatican and are faithful to the Magisterium (i.e. orthodox by my definition). And although I'm not drawn to them, who am I to question the evaluation of the Vatican??

And as they say, the Spirit works in many ways. Somewhere is the line about many gifts but the same spirit...

Just my thoughts

Laurentina1975

[quote name='magnificat' date='Feb 28 2006, 08:48 PM']I think that perhaps what ruso meant about it being personal is that the definition of orthodox is sometimes a little confused.  There is clearly the Greek orthodox church which isn't what we mean here.  It's like the confusion over what traditional means...but that's another discussion somewhere else.

For me, I use orthodox to mean being faithful to the teachings of the Magisterium & loyal to the Pope.  So orthodox orders would be ones that abide by that.  So clearly excluded would be orders who advocate or even support women as priests & communities in schism with the Church (as defined by the Vatican).

After that, I think it has some to do with the inclination God places in our hearts in terms of what we're drawn to in an order.  So even though there are orders that don't wear habits, they are recognized by the Vatican and are faithful to the Magisterium (i.e. orthodox by my definition).  And although I'm not drawn to them, who am I to question the evaluation of the Vatican?? 

And as they say, the Spirit works in many ways.  Somewhere is the line about many gifts but the same spirit...

Just my thoughts
[right][snapback]900359[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree with you. I think we each have our own views on what Orthodox is. Not to say one is better than the other...

It just seems that the more orthodox or TRADITIONAL communities are receiving and keeping vocations...??..I dunno is it just me that sees this?

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Feb 28 2006, 07:13 PM']I guess I just like to get everyones input.  One time when I was on a vocation/discernment coffee thing, there was this one Sister who was really advocating for women to be able to be Priests.  I was kind of appauled by that and never went back to the group.

[/quote]
I think I understand what you're trying to say and I agree with you. To be clear though, strictly speaking, orthodox means adherence to a religion. Orthodox Catholicism is adherence to Catholic doctrine. Likewise, orthodox Judiasm is adherence to the tenets of the Jewish faith.

Habits do not equal orthodox, in and of themselves. Joan Chittister in a habit does not equal orthodox.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 28 2006, 08:09 PM']Habits do not equal orthodox, in and of themselves.  Joan Chittister in a habit does not equal orthodox.
[right][snapback]900377[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for the absurd example.

HABITS AND ORTHODOXY are not by necessity linked, they are linked by accident. It just so happens that a considerable amount of liberal orders abandoned habits, and a considerable amount of traditional orders in recent times took up the habit.

Let us also stress, there is a difference between TRADITIONAL AND ORTHODOX.

There are a lot of traditional orders which may advocate habits as orthodox do. But being orthodox doesnt mean you revolve around the Latin Mass, or any other pre-vatican ii practice. Not to say those practices are bad. But you can be fully orthodox and embrace Vatican II.

SHALOM

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 28 2006, 09:09 PM']Habits do not equal orthodox, in and of themselves.  Joan Chittister in a habit does not equal orthodox.
[right][snapback]900377[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Perhaps a dumb question, but who's Joan Chittster?

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Feb 28 2006, 08:56 PM']It just seems that the more orthodox or TRADITIONAL communities are receiving and keeping vocations...??..I dunno is it just me that sees this?
[right][snapback]900365[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Perhaps you mean traditional in the sense of less in the "spirit of post-Vatican II"?? :P:

I think that there's something about our generation that, by the working of the Holy Spirit and intercession of people like JPII, really is willing to answer the call to a greater holiness. I think that we've seen the previous generation's societal choices and realized that it's not the real deal and that the real deal is in Christ & the Church. I was recently talking to a good friend who's also discerning and we were both of the mind that the Church is on the cusp of something great happening with this huge resurgence in faith, prayer, & active discernment. Just think about how many are seriously discerning priesthood/religious life! And while not all are called to that life, just think about those who are called to marriage and the wonderful impact they'll have on their children and society overall!!! The transition is slowly happening and part of this is a steady increase in vocations as people begin listening for God's direction in their lives and echoing Mary's fiat.

A long way of saying, I think that we have a sense of the Truth when we see/experience it and that's what we're seeking above all else. And for those of us discerning religious life, that's found in the orders that are faithful to the Church and her teachings.

I do not see the things of that way, surely the modern congregations have more vocations that the traditionals, the jesuits receive more people that any other institute.
To put an example, the Dominic sisters in USA, exist 4 or 5 congregations traditionals and more of 20 that they are not it.
The number of vocations, this even one between both groups, mainly by
the Nahsville and Mary mother of the eucaristia, the congregations of greater growth in the USA.
What happens, is that the number of traditional communities is smaller,
without I animate to joke, the traditional vocations but have less communities to distribute.
Nevertheless the number of abandonments is very elevated in all,
traditionals or no. Prayers for the vocations.

[quote name='magnificat' date='Feb 28 2006, 11:18 PM']Perhaps a dumb question, but who's Joan Chittster?
[right][snapback]900411[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I believe she is a benedictine nun who, with the full support of her community, is an 'activist' for women in the priesthood...