An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Smoke of Satan

Desert Walker

Desert Walker

I post this here because I predict that debate will ensue from it no matter what I say. Basically it's like this. I've been a Catholic for the whole 23 year period of my life, and while I once believed I knew my faith to some extent, now I have difficulty trusting anything written or spoken. I mean this literally. Basically I feel detached in horrid way from certainty about what's true and what isn't. This whole day I've had a sinking feeling in my chest about this. I'm afraid I will never again be certain of the truth for more than a few hours at best.

I feel like I don't even know how to think properly anymore.

Clearly anyone who cares to read my posts on this forum knows I have convictions, but what may not be so apparent is that I don't trust a single one of them for more than a day it seems.

Is this the "smoke of Satan?" Maybe I'm just spending too much time reading everything that everybody writes. But I should be able to do that without feeling unanchored shouldn't I? I should be able to go back at the end of the day to what I know is the truth, right? Well, I have trouble knowing where to find the truth, and those moments when I know I've found it are fleeting.

This feeling has infected my whole life, from prayer, to how to interact with people.

What's going on? :(

cmotherofpirl

Give the theology a rest, you are on overload.
Stop reading and go back to going to just Mass, reading Scripture, and saying your prayers.
It will be better by the end of Lent. :)

Sometimes even the most faithful of people go through shaky patches. My advice would be to stay away from things that you think might make you doubt the truth. Stick to things that you know are true and stay safe in the knowledge that the Catholic faith is the truth. And pray really hard too.

I know I'm probably not much of a help, but that's my 2 pennies worth anyway. I will pray for you :)

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Feb 28 2006, 04:10 PM']I post this here because I predict that debate will ensue from it no matter what I say.  Basically it's like this.  I've been a Catholic for the whole 23 year period of my life, and while I once believed I knew my faith to some extent, now I have difficulty trusting anything written or spoken.  I mean this literally.  Basically I feel detached in horrid way from certainty about what's true and what isn't.  This whole day I've had a sinking feeling in my chest about this.  I'm afraid I will never again be certain of the truth for more than a few hours at best.

I feel like I don't even know how to think properly anymore.

Clearly anyone who cares to read my posts on this forum knows I have convictions, but what may not be so apparent is that I don't trust a single one of them for more than a day it seems.

Is this the "smoke of Satan?"  Maybe I'm just spending too much time reading everything that everybody writes.  But I should be able to do that without feeling unanchored shouldn't I?  I should be able to go back at the end of the day to what I know is the truth, right?  Well, I have trouble knowing where to find the truth, and those moments when I know I've found it are fleeting.

This feeling has infected my whole life, from prayer, to how to interact with people.

What's going on? :(
[right][snapback]900108[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Please listen and read....
[url="http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0002.html"]http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apol...ics/ap0002.html[/url]
[url="http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio.htm"]http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.peterkreeft.com/featured-writing.htm"]http://www.peterkreeft.com/featured-writing.htm[/url]

And spend time infront of the Eucharist.

God Bless Bro,
ironmonk

I was 9 years moved away of the catholic church, have been happy,
but only now my life is total, continuous your search by ways more simples, Jesus this everywhere hope to you.

Fidei Defensor

I can absolutely relate to you.

My advice is that you repeat this prayer throughout the day: Jesu! Maria! I love thee! Help me with my skepticism and doubt

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Feb 28 2006, 04:21 PM']:blush:

Thank you both.  A lot.  That's some simple advice I can follow.
[right][snapback]900118[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

simplicity is just it... Catholicism can be as thick or as simple as you need - and we all need a big dose of simplicity at some point
:)

Church Punk

Desert,

I had been feeling the same way a short while ago. I took it with me to confession one day and discussed it with my confessor. Like cmotherofpirl said, simplfy it, simplify your life for a bit.

Some times we get all caught up in the theology that we forget the truth! All we need is faith like a child, children neither work nor toil over theology but they know God and know Jesus.

For me, I accomplished this by shifting my focus from the theological and philisophical to deeper prayer, then transfering prayer to acts of charity to the people around to the best I can.

This has made a huge differance.

Thy Geekdom Come

St. Therese of Lixieux suffered like this in her final hours, suffering "temptation to every kind of atheism," according to Cardinal Ratzinger in Introduction to Christianity. He states that this is a period in the life of Catholic spirituality at which one sees the beauty of the Church, the soundness of the structure, and yet fears that it may not really be at all.

He likened it to a castle...the Church is this perfectly sound castle and you admire it greatly...but the castle is hanging over a chasm...though internally sound and beautiful, the question still poses itself and always will--is it?

I personally think it demonstrates what we must all realize in some way...as great as some reality in our lives may be, ourselves, our friends, our loved ones, our health, our wealth, our fame, even our Church...if not for God, they would fall into the chasm and be nothing. So the temptation is a fear of what is holding up this faith of ours...it is a point at which you have come to a certain understanding of the Church and what she is...and now you must answer the fundamental question...is God or isn't He? Is He there to support the Church or is He not there at all?

Remember that faith is an assent of the mind and will, not a feeling. You must choose to believe and pray for persistence.

I think that contemplative prayer will be helpful and therefore, I third the motion to go to adoration.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 1 2006, 12:19 PM']St. Therese of Lixieux suffered like this in her final hours, suffering "temptation to every kind of atheism," according to Cardinal Ratzinger in Introduction to Christianity.  He states that this is a period in the life of Catholic spirituality at which one sees the beauty of the Church, the soundness of the structure, and yet fears that it may not really be at all.

He likened it to a castle...the Church is this perfectly sound castle and you admire it greatly...but the castle is hanging over a chasm...though internally sound and beautiful, the question still poses itself and always will--is it?

I personally think it demonstrates what we must all realize in some way...as great as some reality in our lives may be, ourselves, our friends, our loved ones, our health, our wealth, our fame, even our Church...if not for God, they would fall into the chasm and be nothing.    So the temptation is a fear of what is holding up this faith of ours...it is a point at which you have come to a certain understanding of the Church and what she is...and now you must answer the fundamental question...is God or isn't He?  Is He there to support the Church or is He not there at all?

Remember that faith is an assent of the mind and will, not a feeling.  You must choose to believe and pray for persistence.

I think that contemplative prayer will be helpful and therefore, I third the motion to go to adoration.
[right][snapback]900766[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

this is helpful... thanx :)