An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feeling Unhappy?

ironmonk

Noel's angel

I just can't agree. Depression isn't something that comes from selfishness. I know people how are good and faithful people, who attend Mass every day, who pray faithfully, who go to Confession regularly, who have suffered with depression. What they need is support, not people telling them they are depressed because they don't trust in God enough and are too prideful.

Being unhappy is our own fault? I certainly would not tell that to a battered wife or abused kid or a rape victim......

[quote]Decisions that go against life sometimes arise from difficult or even tragic situations of profound suffering, loneliness, a total lack of economic prospects, depression and anxiety about the future. Such circumstances can mitigate even to a notable degree subjective responsibility and the consequent culpability of those who make these choices which in themselves are evil.

--Pope John Paul II, Encyclical Letter "Evangelium Vitae" #18
[/quote]

Great quote, Era!

Too bad IM didn't see it . . . .

Edited by Thumper

Depression has many causes.

Some are psychological.

Some are spiritual.

Some are biological.

The Church does not deny clinical depression to the exclusion of spiritual depression. The human person is a complex creature. The Church, in her wisdom, encourages us to seek medical care when appropriate.

[b]Bible Has an Answer for Depression, Says Cardinal [/b]
VATICAN CITY, NOV. 13, 2003 (Zenit.org).- An international conference noted that the Bible addresses the problem of mental depression -- even offers an answer to it.

In his opening address today at the Vatican conference on depression, Cardinal José Saraiva Martins, prefect of the Congregation for Sainthood Causes, noted the forms of depression mentioned in the Bible.

"Sadness, lack of interest, diminution of the capacity to work, inability to sleep, loss of weight, guilt feelings, suicidal thoughts, desire to weep" are symptoms which appear in the sacred text, he said at the 18th International Conference of the Pontifical Council for Health Care Workers.

"If biblical anthropology already knew about the phenomenon of depression, then we can ask what answers the sacred text gives," the cardinal added.

"The answers lie in some fundamental convictions which constitute a remedy: the conviction that man is always loved and appreciated by God, that God is always close to him, and that the world is not hostile to him but good," he said.

"The man who suffers enjoys a privileged place in biblical anthropology and in the Christian message," he said. "God does not forget the sick person, what is more, he is at the center of his compassionate love."

Father Tony Anatrella, a psychoanalyst and psychiatrist from Paris, said that "existential depression reveals a more profound reality that is gaining ground in humanity and that is manifested by the rejection of a consent to life."

"The individual is not sad for any reason, but for himself, because of his inner uncertainty and the absence of personal fulfillment," he said. "The man of today, as well as of yesterday, experiences the need to learn to love life to fulfill himself in his humanity and discover the meaning of his existence."

The congress, which continues until Saturday, is focusing on two key topics: "The Light of Faith in the Universe of Depression" and "What Can Be Done to Come Out of the 'Impasse" of Depression."

[quote name='Era Might' date='Mar 1 2006, 08:56 AM']Some are biological.

[right][snapback]900621[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is one theory.

[b]Vatican conference to focus on clinical depression[/b]

Vatican, Nov. 12, 2003 (CWNews.com) - Announcing plans for a Vatican conference on clinical depression, the president of the Pontifical Council for Health Care said it is "one of the main killer diseases of our time."

Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan briefed reporters on plans for a 3-day international conference on depression, taking place in Rome from November 13 to 15 under the aegis of the Pontifical Council for Health Care. This conference is one in series organized by the Council to deal with "emerging diseases" that threaten the world's societies; previous meetings discussed AIDS and drug abuse. About 620 people are expected to attend, including psychologists, psychiatrists, academics, and Church officials.

The Church does not look at depression as a spiritual problem, and conclude, "anyone and everyone must be spiritually deficient". She sees the human person in all their complexity, and does not rule out spiritual, psychological, or biological factors in depression.

This is not an either/or matter.

From [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=2314"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=2314[/url]
[quote]"I go to Mass, but I don't know anyone at my Parish."

"I give money to the Church and to the poor, that's all I have time for."

"I don't know many Catholics."

"I'm not happy, I go to Mass, I pray, and I'm faithful, I don't feel like I fit in."

How many times have we felt any of the above statements or have heard others say them?

Some people think that going to Mass is enough. Then they wonder why they do not know many Catholics, feel like their unhappy, don't fit in, etc... .

If Catholics want to live their faith and be happy, then we need to be active in our Parish. Join organizations such as the Knights of Columbus, Prayer groups, youth groups, Education groups, help at the food pantry, etc... An old friend of mine when I was 20, Lisa Suffold, said that she only went to Mass to meet men... she liked me, and I her a lot, but I never dated her because she said that. How many others think they'll meet someone at Mass either for friendship or marriage? Mass is not social time, it's Worship time... when we go for the wrong reasons, it's almost as bad as not going.

Psychology of the last century has been guiding all of us wrong.

People now worry about self and focus on self. "They" always speak of people needing 'self esteem'. "They" always say that 'we must love ourselves before we love others'.

"They" are wrong.

Psychology of today has continued to take God out of the recipe for a healthy psyche. Pschology of today says that "it's good to believe in 'something'". Pschology of today drives us to focus on ourselves. Psychology of today cannot agree why so many people now have so many problems. Psychology of today says fix it with a pill.

The human psyche wants truth, and starves for truth. Partial truths cannot fill the psyche.

Take a look at the great saints, the poor, and people before "psychology" came to be. Depression was not an issue. Knowing self was not an issue.

The happiest people are those who focus on others. Those who help people with their time.

"But I don't have time, I've got family, I've got a job, I need some me time to."

168 hours in a week.
40-50 hrs for typical work.
56 hrs for sleep at 8 hrs a night.
1 Hour for Mass.

That leaves us with roughly 61 hours per week.

Are we using that time the way Christ wants us to?

[b]St. Matt 16:24 [/b]
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "[color=red]Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. [/color]
[b]25 [/b][color=red]For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. [/color]
[b]26 [/b][color=red]What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? [/color]
[b]27 [/b][color=red]For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father's glory, and then he will repay everyone according to his conduct.[/color]

[b]St. Matt 25:34 [/b]
[color=red]Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. [/color]
[b]35[/b][color=red] For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, [/color]
[b]36 [/b][color=red]naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'[/color]
[b]37 [/b][color=red]Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? [/color]
[b]38 [/b][color=red]When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? [/color]
[b]39 [/b][color=red]When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?' [/color]
[b]40 [/b][color=red]And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'[/color]
[b]41 [/b][color=red]Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.[/color]
[b]42 [/b][color=red]For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, [/color]
[b]43 [/b][color=red]a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.' [/color]
[b]44 [/b][color=red]Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?' [/color]
[b]45 [/b][color=red]He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.' [/color]
[b]46 [/b][color=red]And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." [/color]

"But what about my family time."
Why not make it a family project? Teach your children to live for Christ by helping others and you will not be disappointed when they're teens or adults.

"What about the me time."
Focus on helping others and you will not need nearly as much 'me' time.

"I don't know where to begin."
Ask someone. Join the Knights of Columbus, they normally have many community projects going.

"I'm not in a Catholic area."
Help out at a hospital or retirement home. Be a beacon of the Catholic faith, and soon by the seeds you plant, your area could be Catholic.

"I don't know anyone, and I don't feel like I fit in."
That's because Mass is Worship time, not social time. When you get active in the Parish, you will meet others and when you help others you will fit in. When we put other people first, we will always fit in.

"I feel like my life is stagnant and going nowhere."
Maybe God is waiting for you to do something for others. Everything happens according to the will of God, He knows what we need. Seek first the Kingdom of God, and all things will be given unto you. He cares for the birds of the sky, feeding them and sheltering them... How much more does God love you, with your eternal soul and that you are created in his image.

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,
ironmonk[/quote]

If we are right with God, we have no reason to be depressed. If we are, then we need to change our point of view.

All the psychological help someone needs can be found in the Scriptures and Catholic teaching. If someone can study and follow them, then they should be happy. If not, then they are looking at things wrong and should change their point of view.

I do no believe the theory of biological depression. Emotions can produce chemicals in our brains. When we artifically introduce chemicals into someone's brian it can influence emotion, but that person can still have control of their emotions... therefore "biological depression" is false.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:21 AM']If we are right with God, we have no reason to be depressed. If we are, then we need to change our point of view.
[right][snapback]900683[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is a health-and-wealth Gospel.

The Church does not teach this. Communion with God doesn't mean disease and sorrow subside. It means that we can be holy despite them.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:21 AM']I do no believe the theory of biological depression. Emotions can produce chemicals in our brains.
[right][snapback]900683[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's fine. But the Church does accept this point of biology, and encourages her children to seek medical help when necessary.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 1 2006, 09:08 AM'][b]Bible Has an Answer for Depression, Says Cardinal [/b]
VATICAN CITY, NOV. 13, 2003 (Zenit.org).- An international conference noted that the Bible addresses the problem of mental depression -- even offers an answer to it.

In his opening address today at the Vatican conference on depression, Cardinal José Saraiva Martins, prefect of the Congregation for Sainthood Causes, noted the forms of depression mentioned in the Bible.

"Sadness, lack of interest, diminution of the capacity to work, inability to sleep, loss of weight, guilt feelings, suicidal thoughts, desire to weep" are symptoms which appear in the sacred text, he said at the 18th International Conference of the Pontifical Council for Health Care Workers.
[/quote]

[quote name='ironmonk']Take a look at the great saints, the poor, and people before "psychology" came to be. Depression was not an issue. Knowing self was not an issue.
[/quote]

Are you going to pick a position--or is this just a joyful stream of consciousness?

Depression stems from something, an event, a memory, an emotion...it doesn't appear from no where. Depression occurs because of how we deal with whatever that root cause is. Turning to God may not remove the problem, but we can find joy in suffering...which is what we are all called to do. No one is called to be sad because of life. God made us good, and in order to get ourselves out of depression, we need to learn how to see that.

That's not saying some people suffer from a disease of depression, but they, too, have the resources at their hands to free themselves of this burden through prayer, sacrifice, and humility.

I think our society today needs immediate response to everything, and doctors have a name for everything. In my opinion (and its a humble opinion cause I'm not scientist), many who are diagnosed with clinical depression do not actually have the disease. I feel the same way about ADHD in children. Teachers and parents are so quick to put a name to something and put a child on medicine, when maybe the child just needs some more love or attention. Again, I know ADHD exists, but I think that we get so caught up in it, that now every kid who doesn't sit still has it! I see clinical depression in the same way. Anyone who is feeling down for a few days, goes to their doctor, gets put on anti-depressants, and suddenly they have this disease. I just don't buy it.

For those who suffer from depression, stay in prayer, work on humility (as we all should...me, too!), and read St. Francis deSales cause he's the man!

I definitely agree that medication can easily be used as a crutch so that people do not deal with the real problem.

The first response to depression, always, must be spiritual. My only point is that we cannot throw out the biological factor, as it is real, and the Church supports medication where appropriate.

Nicole hit the nail on the head: "Turning to God may not remove the problem, but we can find joy in suffering."

Edited by Era Might

Just a few more quotes from St. Francis deSales on the subject of depression:

"The prince of darkness is pleased with sadness and melancholy because he is and will be sad and melancholy to all eternity; therefore, he desires that every one should be like himself."

"Oppose vigorously the least inclination to sadness, and, although it may seem that all your actions are at that time performed with tepidity and sloth, you must nevertheless, persevere; for the enemy who seeks by sadness to make us weary of good works , seeing that we cease not on that account to perform this, and that, being performed in spite of his opposition, they become more meritorious, will cease to trouble any longer."

"But frequently the holy communion is the best remedy because this heavenly bread strengthens the heart and rejoices the spirit."