An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do y'all think?

Ora et Labora

Ora et Labora

About litergical dancing and what not that has been argued on Phatmass...it states in Vatican II Council Volume 1, page 93 paragraph 63, that, "In permitting and using musical instruments, the culture and traditions of individual peoples must be taken into account..." They might have dancing in Africa...because of there culture, but in America?

Did our culture and traditions in America have anything to do with dancing in the past? :huh: Some say its a good thing...what do y'all think?

Kristina

No I dont think so. Lets take a quick peek at those who landed on Plymouth Rock. Did they dance?. In some cases, people were outcasted for such blantant behavior.

just a quick answer.

the citation you give to us deals only w/ musical instruments.... i didn't see anything about dancing in your post - as given from that quote. incidentally, there is no such thing as "liturgical" dancing. it simply does not exist. there is, however, 'sacred dance'

Ora et Labora

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Feb 26 2006, 10:36 AM']the citation you give to us deals only w/ musical instruments.... i didn't see anything about dancing in your post - as given from that quote.  incidentally, there is no such thing as "liturgical" dancing.  it simply does not exist.  there is, however, 'sacred dance'
[right][snapback]898079[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you are right, theres nothing with dancing in my quote.. i just meant to add to the quote...and then i mentioned liturgical dancing. sorry about that. :)

and i was pretty much asking your opinion on liturgical dancing...what do you mean there is no such thing? and the issue on instruments has to do with culture as well...do the instruments at mass have anything to do with our culture?

what is sacred dance?

Perhaps if you are dealing with native american cultures it could be permissible. Otherwise, our culture is such a missmash of cultures I see no distinguishing feature that associates dancing as an important worship custom.

Okay, there's a document called "Dance in the Liturgy" (1975) from the Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship which stated:

"Here (The West) dancing is tied with love, with diversion, with profaneness, with unbridling of the senses: Such dancing, in general, is not pure. For that reason, it cannot be introduced into liturgical celebrations of any kind whatsoever: That would be to inject into the liturgy one of the most desacralized and desacralizing elements; and so it would be equilvalent to creating an atmosphere of profaneness which would easily recall to those present and to the participants in the celebration worldly places and situations."

Again;

"If the proposal of the religious dance in the West is really to be made welcome, care will have to be taken that in its regard a place be found outside the liturgy, in assembly areas which are not strictly liturgical."

The GIRM tells us to 'shun any appearance of individualism or division, keeping before their eyes that they have the on Father in heaven and are therefore all borthers and sisters to eachother'

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Feb 26 2006, 01:17 PM']Okay, there's a document called "Dance in the Liturgy" (1975) from the Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship which stated:

"Here (The West) dancing is tied with love, with diversion, with profaneness, with unbridling of the senses:  Such dancing, in general, is not pure.  For that reason, it cannot be introduced into liturgical celebrations of any kind whatsoever:  That would be to inject into the liturgy one of the most desacralized and desacralizing elements; and so it would be equilvalent to creating an atmosphere of profaneness which would easily recall to those present and to the participants in the celebration worldly places and situations."

Again;

"If the proposal of the religious dance in the West is really to be made welcome, care will have to be taken that in its regard a place be found outside the liturgy, in assembly areas which are not strictly liturgical."

The GIRM tells us to 'shun any appearance of individualism or division, keeping before their eyes that they have the on Father in heaven and are therefore all borthers and sisters to eachother'
[right][snapback]898227[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

thank you. :) so, the pope would rather we did not have litergical dancing in america?

btw, i just figured out that liturgical dancing and sacred danse are the same things.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Feb 26 2006, 11:52 AM']About litergical dancing and what not that has been argued on Phatmass...it states in Vatican II Council Volume 1, page 93 paragraph 63, that, "In permitting and using musical instruments, the culture and traditions of individual peoples must be taken into account..." They might have dancing in Africa...because of there culture, but in America?

Did our culture and traditions in America have anything to do with dancing in the past?  :huh: Some say its a good thing...what do y'all think?

Kristina
[right][snapback]898062[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Much of Africa was Catholic. Many of the Africans that were brought over as slaves, where Catholic. They weren't all tribal like many people assume.

The Bishop of St. Pete is head of some group for Africa and was going into great detail on the radio once. It was very interesting.

God Bless,
ironmonk