An Old School Catholic Message Board

mystery drug

dairygirl4u2c

Do you think such a drug exists that is no worse worse to your health, psyci, or reasoning power than drinking to the point of a small buzz and smoking irregularly and can have at least the same beneficial effects?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God the Father

You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay
in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]2291
The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.[/quote]

Is the CC only teaching this because society has a norm against drugs? It doesn't sound like it. If they were, is it a sin to go against a social norm?

In reality, they are teaching that drugs are immoral in and ofthemself, as in the phrase faith and morals. I still haven't gotten much of an explanation as to how their different than alcohol/cigarettes etc or anyone admitting any possibilities. I'll admit the possibiltiy that all drugs are worse. Can anyone concede possibilites the other way around?

PS God the Father's picture is freaky.....

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Feb 26 2006, 01:43 PM']Is the CC only teaching this because society has a norm against drugs? It doesn't sound like it. If they were, is it a sin to go against a social norm?

In reality, they are teaching that drugs are immoral in and ofthemself, as in the phrase faith and morals. I still haven't gotten much of an explanation as to how their different than alcohol/cigarettes etc or anyone admitting any possibilities. I'll admit the possibiltiy that all drugs are worse. Can anyone concede possibilites the other way around?
PS God the Father's picture is freaky.....
[right][snapback]898147[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is stating that drug use for thereputic use are fine. But to traffic them or produce them in a clandestine matter is wrong.

Dont mix this up with alchohol and cigarettes as I dont see a connection here at all.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Feb 26 2006, 11:43 AM']In reality, they are teaching that drugs are immoral in and ofthemself, as in the phrase faith and morals[/quote]
No they are not. Re-read the part where it says that it may be permissible to use them in therapeutic practices. This clearly shows that the case is subjective. Subjectively wrong in most, but subjectively permissible in certain cases where the circumstances would allow. This does not say that all use of drugs are objectively wrong.

dairygirl4u2c

The connection is that alc and cigs both can be abused. Isn't it possible to have drugs for recreational use like cigs and alc? That quote says otherwise. And if your point is that the CC doesn't necessarily teach one way or another on cig and alc, so it's possibel for them to ban them. I think I should post:

[quote]2290
The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.[/quote]
The verse before that drug verse allows cig and alc in moderation. Why can't drugs some of them be in moderation?

The intent is there in the origianl drug teaching. To say it's subjective is like saying "thou shalt not kill" is subjective. It is, in that self defense is not okay, but to in anyway infer that wanton killing might be okay is a cop out.

I suppose I would agree, in a sense, that it is subjective what is wrote. In that it says that drugs incurr grave health etc problems. That might mean that those drugs that really don't, don't count. If this is what you mean by subjective, I agree.
Really, I'm only trying to get people who say all drugs are bad etc to show latitude.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Feb 26 2006, 09:17 PM']The intent is there. To say it's subjective is like saying "thou shalt not kill" is subjective. It is, in that self defense is not okay, but to in anyway infer that wanton killing is okay is a cop out.
[right][snapback]898517[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]The reason that I said that its morality is subjective is because it is not a moral absolute like murder and such.

And is it just me, or did this post make little sense? Please clarify.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]No they are not. Re-read the part where it says that it may be permissible to use them in [b]therapeutic practices. This clearly shows that the case is subjective[/b]. Subjectively wrong in most, but subjectively permissible in certain cases where the circumstances would allow. This does not say that all use of drugs are objectively wrong. [/quote]

I agree that they are not saying all drugs are bad. I should have been more clear. it's okay for theaputic.

Now, if you are saying that what constitutes theraputic is subjective it seems like you're saying almost to the point of saying it's okay to use them recreationally under the name of theraputic, that's what I posted against.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Feb 26 2006, 09:28 PM']I agree that they are not saying all drugs are bad. I should have been more clear. it's okay for theaputic.

Now, if you are saying that what constitutes theraputic is subjective it seems like you're saying almost to the point of saying it's okay to use them recreationally under the name of theraputic, that's what I posted against.
[right][snapback]898527[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No ,I was not arguing that what constitues a "therapeutic" is subjective, but that the use of drugs is because therapeutic reaons are morally justified.