An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music...

Ora et Labora

[quote name='stbernardLT' date='Feb 24 2006, 04:51 PM']Otherwise we would be without music at a lot more masses and the church says we need music even if it is just instrumental.  Priority yes, primary no.
[right][snapback]896890[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
God, in His Wisdom, gave every human an instrument.

It involves this little thing called a voice box...

A capella baby.

And HAugen, Haas, Schutte and their ilk are oftentimes difficult to sing. When we sing a song to a Mozart tune, not difficult. Funny that the great composers came up with tunes for Church that most people can follow.

Our church bought a drumset for the youth choir. One day I decided to go to confession, and the priest was playing a Chant CD. (Our Church has a high altar so the effect was great) but the youth choir played at the Mass. Music like Matt Redman, Brian Doerksen , Tim Hughes and all those other "worship" composers supported from CCLI should be banned from all Catholic Churches, their music makes Marty Haugen's music sound great. The ideas of their songs are weird for example refiners fire. To whom are we singing to? are we singing to Pugatory or where? If we get this junk out of the Church we will have no need for drums.

It reminds me of the song 'Sing to the Mountains' why???? I never understood why I should sing to a mountain....

Well, I'm the main organiser of our first youth Mass in our parish and over my dead body will I allow drums or electric guitars near the Church. Nice, traditional hymns that are in an easy key to sing to sound much better to me than modern, irreverend (not that all modern hymns are) bish bash, hokey kokey, clappy hands singalongs

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Feb 28 2006, 07:05 AM']It reminds me of the song 'Sing to the Mountains'  why????  I never understood why I should sing to a mountain....

Well, I'm the main organiser of our first youth Mass in our parish and over my dead body will I allow drums or electric guitars near the Church.  Nice, traditional hymns that are in an easy key to sing to sound much better to me than modern, irreverend (not that all modern hymns are) bish bash, hokey kokey, clappy hands singalongs
[right][snapback]899829[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh no not a youth mass, we could never do that, that would be personal. :ohno: And what exaclty will make this a "youth mass".

Have a nice lent, and MARDI GRAS.

Well the Mass of course will be for all the parish, regardless of age, however we are trying to integrate youth into the parish more, so at this Mass young people will be reading, doing cantor etc. Totally by the book :)

missionseeker

[quote name='Mercy me' date='Feb 27 2006, 07:37 PM']Yesterday, I when to a very traditional parish in town,  The music was gorgeous but completely unsingable by anyone other than a professional.  The point is that the music needs to encourages greater participation in the celebration of the mass.  All posts on this thread seem to agree on that point.  Everyone needs to be able to sing it.  (Well maybe not me, since i have a voice that only God can appreciate.)  Music is a reflection of those celebrating the miracle that is our mass.  Gregorian chant and organ music while beautiful are not reflective our culture today and are not the only reverant musical forms.  StBernardLT is quite right.
[right][snapback]899413[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have a hard time following a lot of Life Teen music. (I'm 17 ) What do you mean "not reflective of our culture today"
That music has been a part of our culture for almost 2000 years. Why should we all of a sudden just decide that it is no longer reflective of our culture?