An Old School Catholic Message Board

reasons for drinking

dairygirl4u2c

What is the primary reason that you drink (other than eucharist)?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God the Father

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 13 2006, 10:22 AM']red wine is the best for this...yum :)
[right][snapback]910160[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My health teacher says the reason red wine is so good for your heart is because it's just grape juice that was let ferment. I guess the alcohol thins the blood even further though. Right? He also said the study that showed red wine was good for the heart was paid for by the Wine Makers of America(something like that), and only included males ages 40-65(something like that) who had a heart attack in the past.

Of course he's just probably trying to keep me off alcohol.

Desert Walker

Drinking alcohol, in any form, can be deadly dangerous to both body and soul, therefore I stopped and will never do it again.

I drink the blood of Christ on occasion, but even that I may end. My brother became sick once from even THAT small sip.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='God the Father' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:17 PM']My health teacher says the reason red wine is so good for your heart is because it's just grape juice that was let ferment. I guess the alcohol thins the blood even further though. Right? He also said the study that showed red wine was good for the heart was paid for by the Wine Makers of America(something like that), and only included males ages 40-65(something like that) who had a heart attack in the past.

[right][snapback]911631[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
probably :)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:17 PM']Drinking alcohol, in any form, can be deadly dangerous to both body and soul, therefore I stopped and will never do it again.

I drink the blood of Christ on occasion, but even that I may end.  My brother became sick once from even THAT small sip.
[right][snapback]911632[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually moderate alcohol consumption is healthier than too much or none at all.

[url="http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050328182546.htm"]http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/...50328182546.htm[/url]

I don't drink I'm under aged, but i think it's ok to have wine for dinner, but it's fun to have a hard drink now and then, i love to cook with alcohol, wines, rum, vodka, bourbon, all kinda's of stuff I cook out the alcohol most of the time, i know for a fact that alcohol bring out amazing flavors from tomatoes. but you use just a little to do that.

yeah I don't drink I'm undersaged as well, but I think it's compleltely harmless. Alcohal isn't a bad thing, not until people start abusing it. Its only a threat to those who misuse it.

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:17 PM']Drinking alcohol, in any form, can be deadly dangerous to both body and soul, therefore I stopped and will never do it again.

I drink the blood of Christ on occasion, but even that I may end.  My brother became sick once from even THAT small sip.
[/quote]

What do you say of Jesus' first miracle then?

God the Father

[quote name='uruviel' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:07 PM']Its only a threat to those who misuse it.
[right][snapback]911687[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And of course, those who come into contact with those who misuse it.

[quote name='God the Father' date='Mar 14 2006, 02:17 PM']My health teacher says the reason red wine is so good for your heart is because it's just grape juice that was let ferment. I guess the alcohol thins the blood even further though. Right? He also said the study that showed red wine was good for the heart was paid for by the Wine Makers of America(something like that), and only included males ages 40-65(something like that) who had a heart attack in the past.

[right][snapback]911631[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I drink red wine. . I pretty much drink nothing else. Anyway, I had to get a blood test, along with my physical, for when I applied for the PCPA. My labs came back and without talking lab-speak, my clotting times, and my platelets were longer than normal and les than normal, but not by much. It wasn't an alarming value or anything. . .red wine does in fact thin your blood. . .but there's a difference between one glass of wine with evening meals (as my great grandmother did up until she died. . .in her 90s) and frying your liver because you drink the whole bottle!

well that IS a nice side effect. . and many people do in fact use it as a sleep aid. However, it doesn't give you the nice deep REM sleep that allows you to wake the next morning, refreshed and ready to go.

[quote name='Desert Walker' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:17 AM']I drink the blood of Christ on occasion, but even that I may end.  My brother became sick once from even THAT small sip.
[/quote]

That is likely because people who are sick go up and spread their bacteria through the entire congregation :o