An Old School Catholic Message Board

reasons for drinking

dairygirl4u2c

What is the primary reason that you drink (other than eucharist)?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Church Punk

[quote name='stbernardLT' date='Mar 6 2006, 05:26 PM']Um I don't think Jesus knew how to get drunk quick without a hangover and I don't think he bragged about how much he could throw down.  Just my opinion.
[right][snapback]904371[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was just being silly... Sorry

[quote name='John 2']1 ¶ And the third day, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee: and the mother of Jesus was there.
2  And Jesus also was invited, and his disciples, to the marriage.
3  And the wine failing, the mother of Jesus saith to him: They have no wine.
4  And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to me and to thee? My hour is not yet come.
5  His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.
6  Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three measures apiece.
7  Jesus saith to them: Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.
8  And Jesus saith to them: Draw out now and carry to the chief steward of the feast. And they carried it.
9  And when the chief steward had tasted the water made wine and knew not whence it was, but the waiters knew who had drawn the water: the chief steward calleth the bridegroom,
10  And saith to him: Every man at first setteth forth good wine, and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse. But thou hast kept the good wine until now.[/quote]

Now why did Jesus do this, the real reason?

To keep the PARTY GOING!

(Again Im being Silly :lol_roll: NOT serious :( )

[quote name='Monoxide']Alcohol is a social lubricant, and what is more funny than getting completely smashed and watching yourself on video the next day? Unfortunatly the result is that I sometimes wake up beside random babes, which is very upsetting. However I took the risks by consuming so I assume complete responsibility for my actions. [b]It is my soul that is hurt by these actions.[/b][/quote]

That's a very interesting thing to say considering what you've been complaining about homosexuality recently. If you don't remember, here's one of your posts:

"What if he is an active homosexualist who has no intention of fixing his ways (aka 99% of the homosexual population)? [b]He not only is a bad example for the children in my neighbourhood, but also forces an artificial 'norm' on the society as a whole. As we tolerate him more and more, we become desensitalized to his disgusting ways.[/b] I no longer feel as disgusted when I see two men holding hands, and I feel much less disgusted when they are trying to gnaw eachothers tongues off. Our culture loves Bareback mountain or whatever that trash was called, we musn't encourage it. Tolerating it is far worse than condemning it."

It seems you are not willing to follow the same rules of chastity as you ask homosexuals to follow. I really think that your promiscuous lifestyle of getting wasted and having sex with random persons is a far more worse example for the youth than a loving homosexual relationships will ever be.

And to be more on topic: I don't really drink alcohol.

I'm going to go with the with friends/social lubericant/buzz answer. Sometimes I drink to get drunk, but not often. Most of the time I'm just chillin with friends having a few drinks, watching people make idiots of themselves. It's a thing, I'm in college, we like the liquor.

Just a note....

Saying "I don't like the taste of beer" is like saying "I don't like the taste of soda pop"....

There are more different beers than there are for soda's. Budwiser, Miller, Michelob, Coors... this are all beers that are very similar and are far from being a good example of beer. The best beer comes from the microbrews... Sam Adams Cherry Wheat... Blackdog Peach... Blackdog Rasberry, Madite, etc... are all AWESOME beers that taste nothing like the macrobrewed beers.

I'll be picking up a keg (30 liter) of Maudite tomorrow for my St. Patty's Day party next week. :beer: :yahoo: :cheers:

Maudite won best beer in the world three years straight until it was beat out by the monk's beer in Germany (which I can't wait to try) that is Pope Benedict's favorite beer.

God Bless,
iron <the happy> monk

[quote name='shortnun' date='Feb 23 2006, 09:18 AM']I enjoy a drink that compliments... either the food I'm eating, or the atmosphere of friends.
[right][snapback]895522[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yes...especially a good wine, a good steak, and good company! :drool:

God the Father

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Feb 23 2006, 09:06 AM']Also, a little alcohol is good for the heart.
[right][snapback]895502[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've recently seen one aspect of that theory debunked, please, what is your reasoning?

[quote name='God the Father' date='Mar 12 2006, 12:41 PM']I've recently seen one aspect of that theory debunked, please, what is your reasoning?
[right][snapback]909456[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
it thins the blood slightly, making blood clots and consequental heart attacks less likely. This is only true in cases of drinking alcohol in moderation.