An Old School Catholic Message Board

reasons for drinking

dairygirl4u2c

What is the primary reason that you drink (other than eucharist)?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love the taste of a good glass of Merlot or Chianti as well as a good beer. I only drink when I'm in the mood. I'm not a social drinker.

• 2 weeks later...

mostly for the health benefits of alcohol in moderation, but occasionally so that i actually know what some form of alcohol tastes like! lol, i'm not a very big drinker.

Ash Wednesday

I'm definitely all about the taste. I love the taste of a cool beer on a warm day, or after a week of hard work. It's nice and relaxing, too. :beer:

If I was all about the buzz and not the taste, I would drink/shoot straight hard alcohol. Yuck! :pinch:

Anastasia13

Reasons I would deem appropriate in my view:

health
a small glass might go well with a fancy dinner or dinner event where certain other alternatives would seem inappropriate.
a taste to try what some wine or something is like.

Least acceptable reason to drink:
the buzz
just to be a crowd-follower

I would say many of the above reasons. Sure, it tastes good, it helps me to relax, and is good for my health. I also drink as part of evangelization, to lead by example that alcohol is a gift from God and one can drink responsibly and lead a coherent Christian life.

Church Punk

10) It taste good
9) its fun to drink with friends
8) Al Keith knew what he was doing
7) You get lots of weird looks from Baptist when you tell them you are Christian and the see you pounding back 8 beers, and still not even drunk.
6) Health Benefits
5) Rye and coke go well together
4) Vodka and 7up taste good
3) Vodka and water get you drunk fast with out the hang over in the AM
2) Catholic Monks invented beer as a means to prevent illness from drinking poor quality water.
1) Jesus drank Alcohol!

[color=330000]Not everyone drinks alchohol for the mere purpose of getting a buzz or getting drunk. It is just a nice drink like everything else.

There is nothing wrong with alchohol if you do not abuse it.
So really, there is no reason why we should set it on some pedestal of "Be careful, this is BAD" when its not.
The only reason people get that notion from it is because ALOT of people misuse alchohol as a means of being cool or having fun in a rediculous, undignified, and selfish way.

Achohol is not a bad thing, its the people who misuse it.
[/color]
Edited by CrossCuT

stbernardLT

Um I don't think Jesus knew how to get drunk quick without a hangover and I don't think he bragged about how much he could throw down. Just my opinion.

Alcohol is a social lubricant, and what is more funny than getting completely smashed and watching yourself on video the next day? Unfortunatly the result is that I sometimes wake up beside random babes, which is very upsetting. However I took the risks by consuming so I assume complete responsibility for my actions. It is my soul that is hurt by these actions.