An Old School Catholic Message Board

Energy -> Mass; Mass -> Energy

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

Is it possible for energy to be converted to mass? If so, how does it effect the beginings of the universe and the belief in God as the source of everything?

And also, can this theory explain how the universe can be created without a God?

Just playing the devil's advocate again.

Technically, mass= energy/(speed of light)^2.

I believe it would just explain that all matter came from energy. There still needs to be an accounting for the source of that energy.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='peach_cube' date='Feb 22 2006, 08:29 PM']Technically, mass= energy/(speed of light)^2.

I believe it would just explain that all matter came from energy.  There still needs to be an accounting for the source of that energy.
[right][snapback]895153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, which is what I just realized. :)

[quote]If so, how does it effect the beginings of the universe and the belief in God as the source of everything?[/quote]

In no way, I think. If all the mass was energy in the beginning, it still doesn't explain where the energy came from.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Feb 22 2006, 07:20 PM']Is it possible for energy to be converted to mass?[/quote]
Theoretically. I believe that was the principle behind the holodeck and those little synthesizer things that they created food in on Star Trek.

To my knowledge, it has only been observed in the other direction, mass becoming energy, mostly during nuclear fission.

[quote]If so, how does it effect the beginings of the universe and the belief in God as the source of everything?[/quote]
It doesn't.

[quote]And also, can this theory explain how the universe can be created without a God?[/quote]
No.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

While energy can be converted into mass, there are certain conservation rules that must be followed. If I were to take pure energy and make a proton with it, I must conserve baryon number. A proton is a type of baryon, as are neutrons. I would have to create an anti-proton, or an anti-neutron plus an electron and anti-neutrino. The electron would need an anti-neutrino because lepton number must be conserved. Electrons and neutrinos are leptons. Curiously, neutrons and anti-neutrons are unstable on their own and decay into protons+electrons+anti-netrinos or antiprotons+antielectrons+neutrinos. Ultimately the equation would balance out no matter what was created.

If the universe was in a state of being pure energy at the beginning, then something must have happened in the early universe that allowed this conservation to be broken. We have more matter than anti-matter in our universe. Some scientists believe that protons will eventually decay into energy and anti-electrons sending the balance of matter and anti-matter back to even. So far there hasn't been a theory which explains why there is so much matter in our universe. Some theories can explain how matter could come to be prevalent, but not in the degree to which it is prevalent.

I think the genius of the creator can be seen when looking at the intricacies of the universe. We have a truly fascinating world at all levels.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Feb 23 2006, 11:36 AM']We have a truly fascinating world at all levels.
[right][snapback]895565[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Aye, that be true for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Mrvoll' date='Mar 7 2006, 08:09 AM']I should have lots of energy because I went to 3 Masses.
[right][snapback]905136[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol:

Well, the matter to anti-matter ratio at the beginning of the universe was actually only about 500 million to 500 million plus one. It's pretty silly to talk about there being matter or energy prior to about 10^-35 seconds after the big bang, as there had yet to be grand unification and other such phenomena. Until then, particles as we know it didn't exist, so the equations don't really say much. All there was, was raw energy. The energy turned into almost identical quantities of matter and antimatter, and the two of these collided so that the slight remainder of matter was propelled by the resultant energy explosion. That's why the nugget of the big bang didn't collapse on its own gravity as soon as it exploded.

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Feb 23 2006, 10:36 AM']So far there hasn't been a theory which explains why there is so much matter in our universe.  Some theories can explain how matter could come to be prevalent, but not in the degree to which it is prevalent.
[/quote]
Actually, i've heard that based on the density of matter that we've discovered, the whole universe should be flying off in opposite directions, because the 4 forces aren't enough to keep it together. Because of this, Scientists think that there's actually about another 93% of mass that we've yet to discover. (In other words, we've found 7% of the mass that's necessary to keep us in one piece, where's the rest of it?)

Now for the disclaimer: I'm not really sure what to think of this idea and i don't completely understand it. i heard it from a guy that generally does his homework before making bizarre claims. (I mean, he's a freakin' genius!) So i believe him. *shrugs*

infinitelord1

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Feb 23 2006, 10:36 AM']While energy can be converted into mass, there are certain conservation rules that must be followed. If I were to take pure energy and make a proton with it, I must conserve baryon number.  A proton is a type of baryon, as are neutrons.  I would have to create an anti-proton, or an anti-neutron plus an electron and anti-neutrino.  The electron would need an anti-neutrino because lepton number must be conserved.  Electrons and neutrinos are leptons.  Curiously, neutrons and anti-neutrons are unstable on their own and decay into protons+electrons+anti-netrinos or antiprotons+antielectrons+neutrinos.  Ultimately the equation would balance out no matter what was created.

If the universe was in a state of being pure energy at the beginning, then something must have happened in the early universe that allowed this conservation to be broken.  We have more matter than anti-matter in our universe.  Some scientists believe that protons will eventually decay into energy and anti-electrons sending the balance of matter and anti-matter back to even.  So far there hasn't been a theory which explains why there is so much matter in our universe.  Some theories can explain how matter could come to be prevalent, but not in the degree to which it is prevalent.

I think the genius of the creator can be seen when looking at the intricacies of the universe. We have a truly fascinating world at all levels.
[/quote]
Hey good luck with trying to create an anti-proton......i know all about that from the history channel. :)