An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ireland

sidemunch88

Will Ireland ever be Irish again?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Feb 27 2006, 01:53 PM']erm, see my post above....
[right][snapback]898996[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that may very well be your experience, but I am pretty sure on the whole it is still not as bad as the rest of Western Europe and America; especially in the rural areas in the west of northern ireland.

Well, I dunno, but having lived here all my life, I think I know what goes on here. I know what goes on at my 'Catholic' school and other 'Catholic' schools... stick to what you know

Slight dilema, in Navarra and basque country we have a similar problem,
although theoretically all we are catholics.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Feb 27 2006, 06:58 PM']that may very well be your experience, but I am pretty sure on the whole it is still not as bad as the rest of Western Europe and America; especially in the rural areas in the west of northern ireland.
[right][snapback]899007[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If you're not quoting figures but going by "experience" then I'd defer to the person who lives there. :)

[quote name='Deeds' date='Mar 3 2006, 04:14 PM']If you're not quoting figures but going by "experience" then I'd defer to the person who lives there. :)
[right][snapback]902568[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, experience counts for very little; things are good or bad regardless of what our personal experience tells us. This belief is one of the things that has helped to keep modern heresies on their feet. Here's a brief caricature to illustrate:

"You shouldn't kill that person."
"Why not?"
"Killing is bad."
"How do you know? You've never experienced it, have you?"

Noel's angel

It depends on what you mean by 'irish' I guess. I was thinking about the whole 'in so many years time, Catholics will out-number Protestants thing' and that has very little bearing on whther Ireland will be united once again. Not all Catholics are Nationalists.

Noel's angel

[quote name='MagiDragon' date='Mar 4 2006, 03:48 PM']Actually, experience counts for very little; things are good or bad regardless of what our personal experience tells us.  This belief is one of the things that has helped to keep modern heresies on their feet.  Here's a brief caricature to illustrate:

"You shouldn't kill that person."
"Why not?"
"Killing is bad."
"How do you know?  You've never experienced it, have you?"
[right][snapback]902801[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Different context altogether. Deeds was stating that because I'm from Ireland I know more about what happens over here with regards to the use of contraception among Catholics than someone who doesn't live here

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Mar 4 2006, 12:55 PM']Different context altogether.  Deeds was stating that because I'm from Ireland I know more about what happens over here with regards to the use of contraception among Catholics than someone who doesn't live here
[right][snapback]902898[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, i realize that, I honestly shouldn't have posted, but I was just contemplating how much heresy is created by that type of statement, so i kindof jumped the gun. Sorry.