An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ireland

sidemunch88

Will Ireland ever be Irish again?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, the whole Catholic v. Protestant thing is just an excuse. It's easy to say that it's Catholic v. Protestant rather than face up to the truth that they're all just a bunch of hypocrites who don't give a beaver dam about their religion 'cause if they did, they wouldn't be in this fine mess

Like I've said before on this board, republicanism has won itself into the situation Michael Collins had-- except instead of negotiating with the British Government it's negotiating with the Northern Irish people. They've taken the British government to the point where they're saying: okay, whoever the people want to rule there can rule there.

Now, with the sweeping wins of Sinn Fein in the last election, there is promise. Despite some certain indifferences here and there in the six counties, I think that it is possible within our lifetime that Northern Ireland will join the Republic.... of course the real question is will the Republic still be its own individual sovereign state or will it be under the thumb of the EU by then? sigh... ah well, they're doin it to themselves for economic benefit <_<

But I digress...

I once posted a whole slew of maps showing the population trends over the last century-- protestant population has been dwindiling and Catholic population has been going up (haha, cause we don't contracept as much!)... and if the trends on those maps continue I think we'd see a Catholic majority in Norhtern Ireland by 2050ish...

ehh... we'll see. but anyway, it's not so much the british government anymore. the british government basically made their sentiment official in the good friday agreement that they really don't want anything to do with the place anymore because it's so much trouble, but there is a large group of people who consider themselves british citizens there and they are obligated to them to remain.

and from an historical perspective: I don't care what pope told England to conquer Ireland it was a huge mistake and even admitting the initial papal command to invade, it was horridly abused by the british all through history.

and I really think if I sent my letter to the queen it would clear everything up!

[color=green]26[/color]+[color=orange]6[/color]=1

actually, I think I should rephrase that...

[color=green]26[/color]+[color=orange]6[/color] - EU =1

haha :P:

the idea is that in 50 years they won't be... the idea is that protestants are contracepting and Catholics are less likely to contracept... we're procreating faster!

but Sinn Fein is gainin momentum. I know nothing will happen anytime soon, but it may happen within our lifetimes...

anything's possible.

of course, within our lifetimes Ireland may turn from a sovereign nation into a state that is accountable to a federal euro government... that may happen too...

you never know.

and someday I might grow a beard......

It doesn't really help when the two biggest parties in Northern Ireland refuse to work together. Sinn Fein need to join the DPP and the DUP need to stop being hypocrites and instead of shaking hands with Sinn Fein in private and condemning them publically, give power-sharing a go. Peter Hain is obviously trying to get the Assembly up and running again what with the horrid water taxes, top-up fees etc. The education system is about to fall into ruins because our politicians won't give an inch.

A man has been found guilty of assaulting the DUP East Antrim MP Sammy Wilson in Belfast.
The politician was pushed up against a car after leaving a restaurant in the Botanic area in July 2004.

Seamus O'Kane, 39 and from Cromwell Road in Belfast, will be sentenced at Belfast Magistrates Court next month.

Magistrate Ken Nixon said because of aggravating factors there was a possibility that O'Kane, who has no criminal record, could go to prison.

These included the defendant's "patent lying throughout the proceedings" and the "element of hatred involved", Mr Nixon said.

Mr Wilson had told the court that O'Kane shouted into his face: "This is a Catholic area. Get out of here."

He said O'Kane tried to kick him but missed and then pushed him up against a car and tried to hit him with the lead of his dog.

O'Kane had claimed he was out for a walk with his son and dog when Mr Wilson walked through the lead sending the dog "into the air".

The defendant had denied assaulting Mr Wilson or using any words that were political or sectarian.

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4756690.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4756690.stm[/url]

Ash Wednesday

[quote]the idea is that in 50 years they won't be... the idea is that protestants are contracepting and Catholics are less likely to contracept... we're procreating faster![/quote]

Are you sure about that? I've heard that Catholics contracept just as much as Protestants. I hope that isn't the case... but I'm a bit skeptical. :idontknow:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Feb 27 2006, 12:59 PM']Are you sure about that? I've heard that Catholics contracept just as much as Protestants. I hope that isn't the case... but I'm a bit skeptical. :idontknow:
[right][snapback]898922[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
in America, yes.

until very very recently in Ireland, no. Ireland is not quite as lost to the Church's teaching on birth control as other countries throughout western europe and america. Abortion is not even legal in the Republic yet, meaning contraception still isn't socially acceptable! (the two go hand in hand you know)

the population numbers have shown a steady increase of Catholics and a steady decrease of Protestants throughout the decades of this century and I think the trend will continue.

well the protistans die because the do not have many kids to kill the catholics and the catholic irish have lots of babys and kill all of the condom wearing protistants

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Feb 27 2006, 06:30 PM']in America, yes.

until very very recently in Ireland, no.  Ireland is not quite as lost to the Church's teaching on birth control as other countries throughout western europe and america.  Abortion is not even legal in the Republic yet, meaning contraception still isn't socially acceptable! (the two go hand in hand you know)

the population numbers have shown a steady increase of Catholics and a steady decrease of Protestants throughout the decades of this century and I think the trend will continue.
[right][snapback]898954[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

erm, see my post above....

homeschoolmom

[quote name='sidemunch88' date='Feb 22 2006, 11:20 AM']when will the british monceys go back to their own island? :(  <_<  :maddest:
[right][snapback]894752[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='sidemunch88' date='Feb 22 2006, 12:12 PM']God gave them their own island to live on, so why are they surprised when the Irish fight them?
[right][snapback]894786[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Feb 22 2006, 12:42 PM']:shock:
I do believe you've just solved the whole dilema!

somebody must send a message to the Queen!  she must not have realized this!  she thought she could leave her monceys anwhere she wanted, little did she know that God had given her an island upon which to let her monceys live!

I shall write the letter immediately
[right][snapback]894801[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='sidemunch88' date='Feb 22 2006, 12:51 PM']Hey, I'm sorry that my eyboard doesn't have a "cay." :( :weep:
[right][snapback]894811[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Aloysuis' date='Feb 22 2006, 12:55 PM']I apologize sidemunch, I realize that you are cool and that I could only hope to aspire to dream about being that cool :smokey:
[right][snapback]894814[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolling: :rolling: