An Old School Catholic Message Board

Altar Girls

Desert Walker

at our parish, toledo_jesus can attest to this -- we have only altar boys and then a separate group for girls that participates in processions. they were most recently present at our parish's Solemn Closing of 40 Hours. they do not assist at the altar.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Feb 28 2006, 02:53 PM']OK, let's not get into name calling over [i]preferences[/i].
[right][snapback]900055[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
he started it. :whistle:

Desert Walker

Now to resurrect this thread:

I found this in an article on catholicculture.org

[quote]From:

"Episcopal Reform and the Rights of the Laity"

by Dr. Jeff Mirus, special to CatholicCulture.org

March 1, 2006

"But when the pope or bishops express private opinions or address only small groups of people, Magisterial guarantees are not at work. Nor are they necessary, because these less weighty utterances do not bind the Church. Neither are these guarantees at work in the decisions of popes or bishops regarding Church procedures and disciplines. Procedures and disciplines are designed to address specific problems for a given time and place according to human wisdom. While humility and good order requires the faithful to obey the legitimate disciplines of the Church with regard to the practices of the spiritual life and the administration of Church institutions and personnel, there is nothing to prevent Catholics from believing that some of these disciplines are ill-advised, or from working respectfully for change."[/quote]

heavenseeker

big deal if there are alter girls. every church i have been to sence i was little has had them. its not like it is something new, just accept it as fact.

brendan1104

[quote name='heavenseeker' date='Mar 7 2006, 06:13 PM']big deal if there are alter girls. every church i have been to sence i was little has had them. its not like it is something new, just accept it as fact.
[right][snapback]905680[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's sacreligious and inconsistent with the traditions of the Church.

Interesting that the only orthodox/sane parishes/churches in my area that are not evena traditional (and generally everywhere else) do not have altar girls.

Through the intercession of Saints Tarcisius, John Berchmans and all holy Acolytes and Altar boys, may the sacrilege of altar girls end soon.

[quote name='heavenseeker' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:13 PM']big deal if there are alter girls. every church i have been to sence i was little has had them. its not like it is something new, just accept it as fact.
[right][snapback]905680[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ummmm . . . 12 years in a 2000 year history isn't considered a short time? What math do you use?

hmmm . . . that article that desertwalker posted is interesting. I've never seen norms about disagreeing with the pope or a bishop before. it almost mollifies my dislike of cafeteria Catholics . . . *ALMOST*

[quote name='heavenseeker' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:37 PM']no short as in any of our lifetimes
[right][snapback]905703[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I remember back before altar girls were allowed, and I'm not [i]that[/i] old!
And the amount of time it has been going on does not make it any less of an abuse.

nowak.chris

While I obviously disagree with brendan on the sacreligeous part, it hasn't been that long, and hopefully the practice will be changed.

chris

Desert Walker

The primary reason that it should be outlawed is that it is not useful. The other reason is that it was a compromize with out of control liturgical reformers, whom Satan has been using to destroy the faith of the people since 1965. >:(

Vatican II said nothing about altar girls. Vatican II called for Latin in the Liturgy and no abuses. This has nothing to do with Vatican II. Altar girls were conceded in 1994 (?) because people had already begun doing it in disobedience. Mother Theresa and Mother Angelica were two of the most upset people in the world when John Paul II made this concession.

Desert Walker

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Mar 8 2006, 08:38 AM']Vatican 2 was 40 years ago. get over it already.
[right][snapback]906439[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

For some reason you think I'm blaming Vatican II for the Church's problems. I'm not. I'm all for the Council's reforms.

I said "out of control liturgical reformers" not Vatican II. Altar Girls have nothing to do with what the documents of the council say.