An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics today

Era Might

I was making my rounds through a few blogs I visit, and I just can't take it anymore.

Catholics today are like lions ripping one another to shreds. We're all trying to outdo eachother in knowledge, in righteousness, in correctness; how many of us are trying to outdo one another in charity?

I'm just tired of it all.

[/rant]

1337 k4th0l1x0r

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 20 2006, 03:36 PM']I was making my rounds through a few blogs I visit, and I just can't take it anymore.

Catholics today are like lions ripping one another to shreds. We're all trying to outdo eachother in knowledge, in righteousness, in correctness; how many of us are trying to outdo one another in charity?

[/rant]
[right][snapback]892951[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're missing a space between 'each' and 'other.'

Take that :P:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 20 2006, 04:36 PM']I was making my rounds through a few blogs I visit, and I just can't take it anymore.

[/rant]
[right][snapback]892951[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You jerk! I totally noticed this before you!

:P:

Yeah...many are guilty of being Pharisees...myself included. God forgive us.

Jesus is coming back...hopefully not too angrily...

Amator Veritatis

This is perhaps the most relevant point regulating the manners of Catholics today. Those who sacrifice charity in the search of truth do an injustice to truth and stray from the right path, [i]veritatem facientes in caritate[/i], secundum admonitionem Sancti Pauli. With that said, however, we must not forget the duty incumbent upon us to follow the will of God both in our actions through charity and our words and beliefs through a propagation of the truth, most especially the only true Faith.

i think you are right. There has been a lot of that in many places and indeed i think it is fueled by the vision that the world presents. We are told in many places that we have to be the best and the brightest constantly, that we can never be outdone.

How about we focus on outdoing each other in happiness and humility, in charity and kindness, and in prayer. (there are some very holy saints who were always trying to one up the other. The difference is that it lead them into the heart of Christ, not into fights with each other.)

The biggest question is how do we do that?

What are the actual steps to take?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Feb 20 2006, 04:43 PM']When the Son of Man returns, will He indeed find faith on earth?
[right][snapback]892957[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:no: :(

[quote name='jezic' date='Feb 20 2006, 04:44 PM']How about we focus on outdoing each other in happiness and humility, in charity and kindness, and in prayer. (there are some very holy saints who were always trying to one up the other. The difference is that it lead them into the heart of Christ, not into fights with each other.)
[right][snapback]892958[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly.

There was a Jew who said something like "I wake up to praise God, not to curse Hitler".

As Catholics, do we wake up to praise God or to curse our Bishops and eachother?

Like Raphael said, we're all guilty.

I think we need to take a deep breath and get a grip on reality.

^_^

Edited by Era Might

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='jezic' date='Feb 20 2006, 04:44 PM']i think you are right. There has been a lot of that in many places and indeed i think it is fueled by the vision that the world presents. We are told in many places that we have to be the best and the brightest constantly, that we can never be outdone.

How about we focus on outdoing each other in happiness and humility, in charity and kindness, and in prayer. (there are some very holy saints who were always trying to one up the other. The difference is that it lead them into the heart of Christ, not into fights with each other.)

The biggest question is how do we do that?

What are the actual steps to take?
[right][snapback]892958[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am no spiritual leader of any kind, but it seems to me that the first step is to learn self-control and humility. This requires examination of conscience, recollection, and silent prayer, as well as diligence to a particular schedule. We must first learn to see ourselves as we truly are.

Then I believe we will begin more easily to let go of the things that bother us, that hurt us, etc. When we enter that stage, we have done well, but there is more work to do. We need then to continue recollection, but also to go outside of ourselves to be there for others, by admonition, by charity, by fellowship.

As we gather more to ourselves, we will hopefully begin to learn to live in common, selflessly.

We must have faith that we may hope, hope that we may love, love that we may do the work of God.

i also think that everyone should be reading a book about a saint all the time (i just finished St. Rose of Lima's biography). that way people would learn more from the saints and imitate them.

i think too that more people should practice mortifications and penances for the sake of the Church today.

Thy Geekdom Come

I think phatmass should collectively join together in the Total Consecration together. A new cycle starts today.

Thy Geekdom Come

Also, I think we should have rosary rings in our pockets and pray a decade (instead of the traditional count to ten) when we get angry or frustrated...this is an adaptation I made to something a priest said in a homily here the other day.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Feb 20 2006, 04:51 PM']i just finished my consecration earlier this month.
[right][snapback]892967[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:)