An Old School Catholic Message Board

If the Tridentine Mass was brought back...

brendan1104

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:01 AM']It won't happen. Parts of the NO mass will be cleaned up, more Latin will be reintroduced, and what was meant to be carried out at the council will be carried out, but the N.O. mass will never go away and the Tridentine will never be the standard again.

A Novus Ordo done as it was meant to be done is as beautiful as a Tridentine mass. I've been to several. It would be fruitful if Traditionalists would help the Church towards this goal, which is going to happen anyway, rather than working against the Church.
[right][snapback]892752[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

how do you know it will never be the standard again?

I'm fond of the Novus Ordo. I appreciate the Tridentine for what it is, but I do like the NO. I like the Lectionary more, and I personnally think that the Priest facing the people is a better demonstration that he is acting in persona Christi. Like I said, I realize that facing the same way symbolizes that we are offering the sacrifice together but I like that he is set apart by facing us.

I would like more traditional music and some more Latin at the NO and I don't like the liturgical abuses, but if it was celebrated the way its supposed to be, it's quite beautiful. If the Holy See returned to the Tridentine, then that's where I'd go, but I will normally go with whatever the norms are.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 20 2006, 01:32 PM']Define traditionalist.

Think about this:

We are what you once were.
We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped.
If you were right then, we are right now.
If we are wrong now, you were wrong then.
[right][snapback]892785[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What are what we always have been.
We believe what we have always believed.
We worship Whom we have always worshipped, in spirit and truth.
We have always been right.
We have never been wrong.

Accept that the faith is unfolding and the Church living. Stop making God and His Church into a dead system of rules and acknowledge the greatness of the Trinity of Divine Persons.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 20 2006, 01:01 PM']It would be fruitful if Traditionalists would help the Church towards this goal, which is going to happen anyway, rather than working against the Church.
[/quote]
Amen.

I would accept a return to the Tridentine Mass without complaint. I trust that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and is thus infallible. Whatever happens is what God wants to happen.

I think, if anything, the TLM would be celebrated more OFTEN, but I don't think it would come back as the norm. Didn't the Tridentine replace another rite? And the other rite didn't reappear as the norm afterwards... (I'm not sure about whether this older rite existed, it's probably all in my head, but I remembered reading something about this)

[quote name='jiyoung' date='Feb 20 2006, 06:13 PM']I think, if anything, the TLM would be celebrated more OFTEN, but I don't think it would come back as the norm. Didn't the Tridentine replace another rite? And the other rite didn't reappear as the norm afterwards... (I'm not sure about whether this older rite existed, it's probably all in my head, but I remembered reading something about this)
[right][snapback]893050[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well traditionalists, don't get your hopes up:

[quote] If the Holy See were to "authorize the old rite [Traditional Latin Mass] once again worldwide and without limitation," as you wish it and have heard it by report, it is not so easy to say. Besides, too many Catholics share a negative attitude -- indoctrinated over some years -- towards the traditional liturgy, which they call proudly "pre-conciliar," and many bishops would oppose in great numbers a general authorization of the old rite. The situation is different if only a limited authorization is envisaged....
But I think that in future the Roman Church must have only a single rite. The existence of two rites is hardly "managable" for the bishops and the priests. The Roman Rite of future must be a single rite, celebrated in Latin or the vulgar tongues, but based entirely in the tradition of the old rite. That single rite could integrate some novel elements that have proven themselves [from the Novus Ordo]: some Prefaces, some longer readings -- more choices than before, but not too many: one Prayer of the Faithful, that is to say, a litany of prayers of intercession after the Oremus before the Offertory, where its primitive place is....
One must, however, be careful against stirring up too great a hope, too much of a hope, in the faithful tied to Tradition....[/quote]
- Josef Cardinal Ratzinger

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 20 2006, 12:01 PM']It won't happen. Parts of the NO mass will be cleaned up, more Latin will be reintroduced, and what was meant to be carried out at the council will be carried out, but the N.O. mass will never go away and the Tridentine will never be the standard again.

A Novus Ordo done as it was meant to be done is as beautiful as a Tridentine mass. I've been to several. It would be fruitful if Traditionalists would help the Church towards this goal, which is going to happen anyway, rather than working against the Church.
[/quote]

Whats wrong with everyone!?! We are [i][b]not[/b][/i] against the Church!! Why do y'all think that just because we are traditional, we are against the church??!!

We are not the same as SSPX. :ohno: You clearly [i]misread[/i] our posts. We prefer the Latin mass......that doesn't mean its the [i]only[/i] mass we go to and is the [i]only[/i] mass we believe is valid. Okay?

Ora et Labora

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:12 AM']Notice I said "if" and traditionalists don't work against the Church, we work for it.
[right][snapback]892768[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Brendan is right...absolutely. :)

Ora et Labora

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 20 2006, 04:39 PM']Whats wrong with everyone!?! We are [i][b]not[/b][/i] against the Church!! Why do y'all think that just because we are traditional, we are against the church??!!

We are not the same as SSPX.  :ohno:  You clearly [i]misread[/i] our posts. We prefer the Latin mass......that doesn't mean its the [i]only[/i] mass we go to and is the [i]only[/i] mass we believe is valid. Okay?
[right][snapback]893076[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That was me. :blush:

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Feb 20 2006, 06:41 PM']Brendan is right...absolutely.  :)
[right][snapback]893078[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Aww Kristina, I'm touched. Nobody on PM has ever said that before... :blush:

Of course you're not as "ultra" traditional as me, but it's good to know somebody agrees with something I said...