An Old School Catholic Message Board

If the Tridentine Mass was brought back...

brendan1104

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:17 AM']I'd wonder why I was in your dream and how I could get out.
[right][snapback]892640[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ha. Ha.

First I would be a little stressed because I don't know much Latin and then I would think it was awesome because of what I've seen of the Tridentine Rite it seems very aweing and holy.

Is aweing a word?

It won't happen. Parts of the NO mass will be cleaned up, more Latin will be reintroduced, and what was meant to be carried out at the council will be carried out, but the N.O. mass will never go away and the Tridentine will never be the standard again.

A Novus Ordo done as it was meant to be done is as beautiful as a Tridentine mass. I've been to several. It would be fruitful if Traditionalists would help the Church towards this goal, which is going to happen anyway, rather than working against the Church.

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 20 2006, 01:01 PM']It won't happen. Parts of the NO mass will be cleaned up, more Latin will be reintroduced, and what was meant to be carried out at the council will be carried out, but the N.O. mass will never go away and the Tridentine will never be the standard again.

A Novus Ordo done as it was meant to be done is as beautiful as a Tridentine mass. I've been to several. It would be fruitful if Traditionalists would help the Church towards this goal, which is going to happen anyway, rather than working against the Church.
[right][snapback]892752[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Notice I said "if" and traditionalists don't work against the Church, we work for it.

Edited by brendan1104

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 20 2006, 12:12 PM']Notice I said "if" and traditionalists don't work against the Church, we work for it.
[right][snapback]892768[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No they don't. They want to make over the Church in THEIR OWN image.

And so as not to hijack this thread, if the Tridentine Mass returned as normative Mass, I'd be obedient. Heck, I'd probably be thrilled, as I've gotten where I personally like the Tridentine Mass better! ;) But as long as the Novus Ordo is the normative Mass, then I accept it totally.

[quote name='Dave' date='Feb 20 2006, 01:23 PM']No they don't.  They want to make over the Church in THEIR OWN image.

And so as not to hijack this thread, if the Tridentine Mass returned as normative Mass, I'd be obedient.  Heck, I'd probably be thrilled, as I've gotten where I personally like the Tridentine Mass better! ;)  But as long as the Novus Ordo is the normative Mass, then I accept it totally.
[right][snapback]892776[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Define traditionalist.

Think about this:

We are what you once were.
We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped.
If you were right then, we are right now.
If we are wrong now, you were wrong then.

"We are what you once were."

Incorrect. You practice a mass using a previous missal. The only reason you do is because the Church is pastoral and cares also about the salvation of your soul. Because of your stubborness and hard-heartedness the Church concedes (as God conceded to Israel) and gives you an indult. Not because the Church made a mistake. You are not 'what we once were'. We are Catholic, orthodox and 'traditional', but we do not near schism or fall into schism.

"We believe what you once believed."

This is incorrect. The teachings of the Catholic Church do not change, they stay the same. To assert this is to assert that the Catholic Church has fallen into heresy. The Catholic Church is a pilgrming Church and changes according to discipline based on the times that it lives in.

"We worship as you once worshipped."

To assert this is to assert that the Catholic Church worships incorrectly. Again see what I wrote above. You simply are 'stuck' in a certian period of liturgy. The missal that you use was not used since 33AD. It was used, appropriately, during a period of time in the Church. The stagnation of this period actually caused damage in the Church. This period of the rubricists caused harm by introducing legalism into the mass.

"If you were right then, we are right now."

This is not a matter of dogma, it is a matter of the development of the liturgy based on the age in which the Church lives and works. It is not a matter of 'right or wrong' in worship.

"If we are wrong now, you were wrong then."

You are wrong now, and the Church has already spoken on the issue by excommunicating the SSPX leaders and their followers.

[quote]You practice a mass using a previous missal. The only reason you do is because the Church is pastoral and cares also about the salvation of your soul.[/quote]

Sorry, but indults make up only a small part of traditional Masses. We continue the Mass and Church of all time. I'll be back later later I have to go to confession.

Edited by brendan1104

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Feb 20 2006, 01:00 PM']Sorry, but indults make up only a small part of traditional Masses. We continue the Mass and Church of all time. I'll be back later later I have to go to confession.
[right][snapback]892808[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sorry, but I've read Quo Primum as well, and schismatic traditionalists continue to misunderstand it and twist it to say what it does not intent to say.