An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen cleaned up their liturgies, huh?

brendan1104

Ok so St. Vincent is one of 1,000 LIFE TEEN parishes world wide. Why are they the current example of what LIFE TEEN is. We have a good bit of LIFE TEEN parishes in our diocese and everyone has followed the mandate from the bishops and the guidance from LIFE TEEN to change those things that were considered wrong. So why is St. Vincent now the prime example of everthing LIFE TEEN. It is not, it is just an easy target for the bashers. And I'm sorry if I don't find anything wrong with "personalizing" our relationship with Jesus. Our teens get sore knees during adoration and are required to shut their mouths when they enter church (so much for lip service), but yet we still try hard to continously give them chances to form a personal relationship with Christ (I hope that doesn't make me protestant). I challenge the bashers on this board to find something positive about LIFE TEEN and post that, if you can't, take a trip down to South Louisiana and we have many parishes willing to help out.

I have no experience of LIFETEEN and I'm not going to pass judgement on what it does or does not do. However, someting that brings so much division because of simple personal preferences cannot be good. If everyone stuck to what is right, not what they want, then no one would have a problem with LIFETEEN. Trying to get young people to go to Mass is great, but personal preferences shouldn't take priority over what is correct.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Feb 25 2006, 06:31 AM']I have no experience of LIFETEEN and I'm not going to pass judgement on what it does or does not do.  However, someting that brings so much division because of simple personal preferences cannot be good.  If everyone stuck to what is right, not what they want, then no one would have a problem with LIFETEEN.  Trying to get young people to go to Mass is great, but personal preferences shouldn't take priority over what is correct.
[right][snapback]897376[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly what I say!!! Its like you were reading my mind. Period. That is my thought, exactly. :)

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Feb 25 2006, 06:31 AM']I have no experience of LIFETEEN and I'm not going to pass judgement on what it does or does not do.  However, someting that brings so much division because of simple personal preferences cannot be good.  If everyone stuck to what is right, not what they want, then no one would have a problem with LIFETEEN.  Trying to get young people to go to Mass is great, but personal preferences shouldn't take priority over what is correct.
[right][snapback]897376[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have to agree for the most part, except that LIFE TEEN and those who use their resources are simply trying to be more effective in evangelizing, I'm sure the church and each one of us individually have been unsuccessful in this area before, but that can't stop us from trying to get it right on comtinuing on with our vision and ministry. Like you said you, don't know much about LIFE TEEN other than what you hear (hopefully not just on this board). Maybe make an effort to find the truth, because LIFE TEEN is definitely doing more GOOD than bad. If we were to judge things by how they are carried out by individuals, what would we say about those early years of carring out Vatican II. But we don't say get rid of it (at least most of us), we say correct it. Why should it be any different for a program like LIFE TEEN that if done "right" can be effective.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='stbernardLT' date='Feb 25 2006, 08:11 AM']I have to agree for the most part, except that LIFE TEEN and those who use their resources are simply trying to be more effective in evangelizing, I'm sure the church and each one of us individually have been unsuccessful in this area before, but that can't stop us from trying to get it right on comtinuing on with our vision and ministry.  Like you said you, don't know much about LIFE TEEN other than what you hear (hopefully not just on this board).  Maybe make an effort to find the truth, because LIFE TEEN is definitely doing more GOOD than bad. If we were to judge things by how they are carried out by individuals, what would we say about those early years of carring out Vatican II.  But we don't say get rid of it (at least most of us), we say correct it.  Why should it be any different for a program like LIFE TEEN that if done "right" can be effective.
[right][snapback]897420[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If LT got rid of some of there flaws...I would think it is a good thing...for some.

Catholic Knight

I attend a LIFE TEEN parish and I see nothing wrong with LIFE TEEN. However, the LIFE TEEN Mass may be another story. There is constant chatter before mass, as well as during the service. I believe the Youth Leaders (AKA CORE) should address this.

Dress is something that should also be addressed by CORE members of LIFE TEEN as well. Although, I am sure that every LIFE TEEN parish does things differently. The music played in Mass may be up for debate, as it may take focus off of the true meaning of the Mass.

Also, I would like to know what 'flaws' LIFE TEEN has.

Pax,
CK :ninja:

by "personalizing" what we mean is having a Mass for Teens, adults, children, etc. Children's Liturgy of the Word is understandable, but there is no reason that teenagers need to be [b]mollycoddled[/b] into going to Mass. [b]If they don't come for what Mass IS, then they shouldn't be coming[/b]. Tricking teens into going to Mass by presenting them with a "teen-oriented" Mass does them a disservice by making them think they are special.

Newsflash - teens are just people, and rational beings to boot. They can understand the Mass and their [b]personal interest is on their own soul[/b]. Can a priest have a homily geared towards young people? yeah. Can we fluffy air extraction around with the Mass like LIFETEEN initially did for, oh, 20 years? NO way. LIFETEEN did it and that seriously undermines any sense of legitimacy they have.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 25 2006, 12:38 PM']by "personalizing" what we mean is having a Mass for Teens, adults, children, etc.  Children's Liturgy of the Word is understandable, but there is no reason that teenagers need to be [b]mollycoddled[/b] into going to Mass.  [b]If they don't come for what Mass IS, then they shouldn't be coming[/b].  Tricking teens into going to Mass by presenting them with a "teen-oriented" Mass does them a disservice by making them think they are special.

Newsflash - teens are just people, and rational beings to boot.  They can understand the Mass and their [b]personal interest is on their own soul[/b].  Can a priest have a homily geared towards young people?  yeah.  Can we fluffy air extraction around with the Mass like LIFETEEN initially did for, oh, 20 years?  NO way.  LIFETEEN did it and that seriously undermines any sense of legitimacy they have.
[right][snapback]897591[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

amen, toledo! :D:

Catholic Knight

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 25 2006, 12:38 PM']by "personalizing" what we mean is having a Mass for Teens, adults, children, etc.  Children's Liturgy of the Word is understandable, but there is no reason that teenagers need to be [b]mollycoddled[/b] into going to Mass.  [b]If they don't come for what Mass IS, then they shouldn't be coming[/b].  Tricking teens into going to Mass by presenting them with a "teen-oriented" Mass does them a disservice by making them think they are special.

Newsflash - teens are just people, and rational beings to boot.  They can understand the Mass and their [b]personal interest is on their own soul[/b].  Can a priest have a homily geared towards young people?  yeah.  Can we fluffy air extraction around with the Mass like LIFETEEN initially did for, oh, 20 years?  NO way.  LIFETEEN did it and that seriously undermines any sense of legitimacy they have.
[right][snapback]897591[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Who are we to judge what Teens come to Mass for? I highly doubt that it is a 'trick' to have a 'teen-oriented' Mass. There are plenty of teens in the LIFE TEEN program who come to worship and grow in faith. If the teens do not care about their own soul or interests, should we not somehow reach out to them? Should we not [i]attempt[/i] to embrace them in a spiritual community?

[b]Maybe[/b] if teens come to Mass, they will learn what it is all about. [b]Maybe[/b] they will become our future priests or nuns. Personally, if there was no LIFE TEEN, I believe that a lot of teens out there would not be doing the Fathers will.

Pax,
CK :sword:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Catholic Knight' date='Feb 25 2006, 04:29 PM']Who are we to judge what Teens come to Mass for? I highly doubt that it is a 'trick' to have a 'teen-oriented' Mass. There are plenty of teens in the LIFE TEEN program who come to worship and grow in faith. If the teens do not care about their own soul or interests, should we not somehow reach out to them? Should we not [i]attempt[/i] to embrace them in a spiritual community?

[b]Maybe[/b] if teens come to Mass, they  will learn what it is all about. [b]Maybe[/b] they will become our future priests or nuns. Personally, if there was no LIFE TEEN, I believe that a lot of teens out there would not be doing the Fathers will.

Pax,
CK :sword:
[right][snapback]897695[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

All were saying is that they should exept the way the Mass is now...we should not have to change most of the Mass for people who can't exept it the way it is!

I'm a teen and I realize how beautiful the Mass is...and I don't go to the Life Teen.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Catholic Knight' date='Feb 25 2006, 04:40 PM']How is the Mass 'changed'?
[right][snapback]897702[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

clapping didn't used to be there...i get where your going. the mass itself (the general prayer) did not change. but, the traditions (beautiful traditions i might add) did change for the teens advantage.

Catholic Knight

Clapping? Clapping has changed the Mass? That is not just in the 'Teen' Mass. People clap in regular Masses, although, they are not always to songs. The only clapping I've heard at my LIFE TEEN Parish is just a few teens at the song of thanksgiving.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Catholic Knight' date='Feb 25 2006, 08:08 PM']Clapping? Clapping has changed the Mass? That is not just in the 'Teen' Mass. People clap in regular Masses, although, they are not always to songs. The only clapping I've heard at my LIFE TEEN Parish is just a few teens at the song of thanksgiving.
[right][snapback]897818[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You can look in the book that has the rules of Vatican II Council...there is nothing in the Life Teen mass that is invalid, okay? But it is [b]preferred[/b] that we do not use certain instruments (guitar, drum, tambourine) and that we only at most times use the organ.

Look it up...its there! And why not do what is preferred instead of what you can get away with?? Why not make the mass as holy and obedient as it can be??

Why cant teens be content with the mass the way it was? :idontknow:

Kristina